knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi I am 2 weeks post op from tkr. Had my first physio session yesterday. Told my bend is fine. But the big muscle above my knee is very very weak and on trying to do exercises that raise the leg the muscle shakes as under a lot of strain. So I've got to work on that. Bk with physio in 2 weeks. It's very hard to keep the momentum going. Not able to use a static pedal cycle yet as can't turn the pedals. But hopefully will come. Got 2 use 2 crutches as although knee itself feels quite good and stable. Due to muscle weakness sometime my leg gives way. Any tips or encouragement very welcome as live alone and it's hard not to let it get you down even if I think I'm doing quite well. Thanks everyone x

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jayne

Early days for you yet, but you sound like you are doing fine.  It's normal for you still to be using 2 crutches at this stage.

I have always had very tight quad muscles and these are what allow you to lift and straighten the leg, so they do contract and judder.  A lot of work has been done and it will be a long recovery, with different strange feelings every week.

we all just have to keep at it, I'm afraid.

I had my 2nd TKR 20 weeks ago and having problems with straightening now, even with weekly physio...but my job involves sitting at a desk, so that doesn't help.

Wishing you all the best.

Patsy

• Posted

Hello jayne

my quads were extremely weak and at 9 weeks i am still trying to strengthen them. It has taken me 6 weeks to get my leglifted from bent abd my physio is concentrating on that for me. I have not been able to do that since 13 years old so not surprising really. Be patient and it will come. Simple strengthening exercises done daily is what has got me this far and a lot of gritting my teeth. I am still on 2 crutches as my knee can give way. I am just taking each day as it comes.

• Posted

Hi Jayne,

As Patsyrose said, it is early days yet.  Do the recommended exercises and get plenty of rest.  I found massage of great benefit at your stage.  Good luck, you will be fine.

• Posted

Hi Jayne well that's the first 2weeks done with eh? It is very difficult coping on your own as you have no one to bounce off. At 6months I still feel the emptiness very strongly I have a wonderful family who are only a phone call away, but I don't want to be a burden and am doing all I can to maintain my independence you are getting your bends which is good and hopefully your muscles will strengthen week by week. Wish you well Jayne keep posting this site is a godsend.
  • Posted

WOW!! 2 weeks post op, you sound like youre doing amazingly! 

Unfortunately Im pre TKR so cant offer advice, but I CAN offer support, and Im sure thereareloads of people on here who will have loads of tips for you.

Take care xx

• Posted

Hi there, my names Cris and I'm 8 weeks since I had both my knees done at the same time. I still get the shakes on my thigh muscles when I'm pushing too hard on my exercises. I had the same problem when doing straight leg lifts- one day nothing was happening, then the following I could get a lift!!! There will be lots of little victories for you like that!!! Also I understand what you mean when you keep wondering "how am I doing??" Especially when you are on your own and you have no one to compare yourself against. If the physio says you are doing well, hold onto that info until the next time you see him. It's very easy to compare yourself against other people you haven't met and don't know their circumstances. It's very easy to get down, but you just have to try and stay focused on you. All the best.
  • Posted

Slow and steady. you are off to a great start. The tight band across the knee is normal and may be the last pain to go away. As I have mentioned, my physical therapist uses the therory of pushing up to but not into pain. As you gently strectch and lift things will gradually loosen up and strength will come. There is no straight line from surgery to complete health, Certain areas will heal and the next thing you know you find they are painful and problems again. Don't be surprised or frightened when this happens. It's just the body is doing it's thing
  • Posted

Hi Jayne, your doing great. Keep working on the quads and your strength will return. Keep,to your two crutches. Your physio will guide you when ready to one stick and eventually none. There's no race It will all happen I time. 

take care

robert

• Posted

Hi Jayne,be positive and don't worry.I'm 13 wks TKR ,I'm single and live alone,so I had to do things for myself.It took me 24 days to lift my leg ,my physio thought I had nerve damage but I rolled up a towel placed under my hamstring and concentrated on pushing down on that and eventually I lifted my leg which became easier.I'm probably going to go back to work in 3 weeks but only if my doctor says so.My work have not been in touch except to twice ask when I'm returning,I'm merely a payroll number and after 32 years loyal service,I'm thinking of me and my health for once.I will manage on SSP until I feel up to returning.Stay positive though.Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.