Knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I reside in Queensland, Australia and I am a 69 yrs old fearly active fellow. I am at this point facing both knees replacement and many people think is best to do them both a the same time.

I have been reading and visiting forums were people talk about their experience and frankly I am very scare after reading some of the situations in this forum. I still work as a Bus driver and I am getting concern that after the operation I may have to give it away that is due to the length that it seem for you all to recover ??? My surgeon said that it may take 6-8 weeks to get going. I think I need to have more contact with members of this group which had this both knees replaced a year ago. I certanly need more encoragement. Love to hear from you all guys. Best regards Clem  

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 50 and I had a tkr in march. I would not have liked to have both done at once. Having one done is plenty, I feel i need my other leg. I am doing really well 5 weeks post op, down to very little pain relief, only using one crutch when out or when get very stiff. Haven't driven yet but doing lots physio, static bike and walking. Iwas total bone on bone in a lot pain before and down to working a couple hours a day and not a lot else, only sit at home. i plan to go back to work at 12 weeks as I am on my feet all day and feel standing all day would be too much till then. i know I will need other one done  but am glad only did one at a time. All the best for your decision.
    • Posted

Hi Sue, statistics show that a great deal of people doing one TKR only they seldom return for the second.   My sister needed 2 knees, only done one and sadly never went for the next one ( never recover well from the first too)  May be harder but it will be over in one go... Thank you Sue. Clem 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.