Knee replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please, am I the only one with this problem? I've had a partial and two full knee replacements on the same knee. I'm in pain 24/7. Can not get a doctor to look at my knee. They all say, they don't want to touch another doctor's work. I have a HUGE problem with scare tissue. It feels like maybe this one has slipped too. The pain is undescrible. Sent records to a doctor in Lincoln, NE he said go to pain management. Been there, done that. Been waiting almost two months for a doctor in Omaha, NE to look at my records. They told me he would have to review before he saw me. Just found out today he is too busy to look at records. And he only looks at records that are sent from another doctor. Very, very disapointing. Any suggestions would be greatful. Please don't tell me to just live with the pain. If I hear that again I'll go nuts.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

If I was in that much pain I'd go to the Emergency Room. They can help with pain. Then I'd go to my Primary Care and tell them what's going on. Perhaps he can pull some strings. Sorry you hurt but you need to be seen asap.

• Posted

This has been going on since first surgery. 2008. Had all the surgeries in California. Now live in Nebraska. ER just gives you drugs, can't live on drugs.Main provider gives me names of doctors, most doctors say live with the pain.

• Posted

It's so frustrating! I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

• Posted

I wish you could see my surgeon at KU Med in Kansas City. They clean up messes from other surgeons daily. Have you tried Creighton med school. Very competent I understand.
    • Posted

Creighyon Med. Thank you, I will try anything at this point.
    • Posted

What is the name of your doctor? I'm willing to travel anywhere just to have a doctor look at my knee. Do an x-ray, do a MRI.

• Posted

My surgeon at KU Med is David Anderson he went to Creighton med school and did his residency at KU then went to Boston for his year fellow. Great young, caring, honest guy. Ill send you a text message.
    • Posted

What part of NE do you live in. I'm very familiar with the state as I traveled up there for many years.

• Posted

I'm sure its really tough finding a real highly specialized ortho out in that area. Even at regional med centers you get some pretty good docs but just not specialized enough to handle something with the complications you have. Good luck.

• Posted

Live with the pain.  I am kidding you, don't go nuts.However you are one person out there.  You only have to find one other doctor to take care of your leg.

Why does your doctor not want to look at your knee?  That is mal-practice.

I had the same thing happen to me.  Plastic Surgery after the doctor did not do a good job, no one wanted to work on my messed up surgery.  I had to go out of the county where no one had heard of the doctor that messed up.  

Trust me, they do not want to work on you.  They are scared of law suits.  So get out of town and find a new doctor.  Good Luck!!

• Posted

In some countries mal practice and law suits are not anything Dr's have to contend with

• Posted

That's what I'm trying to do. If just have one doctor would order a MRI, tell me what you see. I've had it slip 3 times, I know what it feels like. When I had my partial and went to my first PT appointment, they laid me on the table tummy first and took my leg and bent it way past the point of no return. I knew right then that something was wrong. Took me a full year and a different doctor to final do a MRI, bam, there is was. Doctor that did the sx kept saying there is nothing wrong, thought I was there to get sympathy. You know your own body. I have the old old old knee replacement. Every man and women got this replacement. I think from the beginning it has been way too big. Noy ready to give up, and not ready to live with the pain. Swnding records to a doctor in TN next.

• Posted

That was the old way of dining therapy. I think there are grooves in the bottom of the table from my fingernails when I dug in. That was 12 years ago and I still wake up in cold sweats thinking about the pain.

Trouble with mri after knee replacement ......the pictures are generally a black blob as the radiation can't penetrate the metal. Most docs won't try as its a waste of time and money. X rays will show if everything is lined up properly and bow scans can show other damage. When the tumor ate up the bone and caused my prosthesis to break loose, the dr could see a thin grey line between the bone and the stem. It was moving every time my leg would move, rubbing the nerves on the inside of the bone. Very painful and very unusual but visible to a trained professional. Pain is such an intangible thing and very hard to describe especially when it's not the usual bone, nerve or muscle stuff that goes with the tkr.

• Posted

You received a lot of good advice and words of encouragement yesterday.  I do have to say this.  People sit back and say if they would only do this, do that.  You are your own advocate.  It is your body.  If you want a MRI, then you tell them you want a MRI.  I wanted a certain blood test for arthritis and my doctor refused to order the test.  I looked him straight in the eye and said, you are fired.  Felt kind of good. Went to another doctor and found out I did have debilitating arthritis.  I could have dealt with an incompetent doctor for six months and wasted my time and got worst or go through the internet/telephone book and found the best surgeon for my personality and needs.

Start looking within one hundred miles from your home for an Orth surgery practice.  Teaching hospitals are good.  Call the office and ask who the lead doctor is, go through their doctors specialties and be picky.  Know that within your population, there are not going to be as many doctors that can deal with complications as where I am at, Washington DC.  We have the best of the best.  Your chances of getting seen by a doctor that can fix your concerns will be greatly improved by coming east.  

Most hospitals have their own outpatient hotel which is cheaper than standard hotels, usually are basic rooms but clean.  Check to see if the places you are calling can help with overnight stay as well. Sini Hospital and University of Maryland are good with knees in Maryland.  Good Luck.

• Posted

good information deborah, and good for you to "fire" that doc.  most of us (i think) dont do that.  i live in fla. my surgeon did my hips ten years ago and i had lower back fusion.  had same surgeon who did hips do my knee.  last visit with him, he said i fell in the 20% range of people not having the best recovery.  im 6 months in my bend 3 weeks ago was 110/2, i keep up with my daily exercises, stretches, pool, bike walk blah blah blah and good humor (even though "ms  weary grouch" wants to come into my thoughts every so often). i told him i was not going to let this beat me. they dont say much, only if the patient does i get short answers (i guess their afraid of law suits ???) i dont known anymore.  as far as i knew, he is highly regarded. i have thought to go to another doc for his opinion, but still want to work on knee before getting more frustrated with another doc ????  best of luck to all, i see all of a sudden i started rambling again, sorry about that, ...kathy p

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.