Knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi guys, well it's April 28th and I'm home.  I was sent home 2 days ago and it's been horrendous I was in less pain in hospital than I am now.  Why do they not send you home with Gabapentin as well because this is the only drug I was on in hospital that I'm not on now and the pain is much worse.  I had a different physio who although tough was nice but the exercises they expect you to do are horrendous she managed to get me to an 89 degree bend but getting there was worse than childbirth I couldn't believe the pain and was in tears.  Since I've got home I've been walking as much as I can which isn't a problem but the bending and lifting exercises are agony and there is no way I'm getting the bend and lift that she got in hospital in fact i can hardly lift my leg without support.  I'm worried that I'm going to seize up because I can't do the exercises properly. I've been icing it and that's helped and take painkillers before I start but have any of you got any ideas to make the exercises less painful.  I know I'm probably expecting a lot from myself but it's my mums funeral in 3 weeks and I want to be more mobile for that.

Thank you for your kind words of support.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lisa ..you have to pace yourself . I was in a dreadful state from first night out of hospital . This was due to the after effects of all the morphine they give you in hospital ..I was cold turkey .the paracetamol and dihydrocodeine worked for me. Of course the pain is more prominent than under morphine...but surgeon said to push through the pain. I do agree ,orthopaedic surgery is worse pain than childbirth. My first physio out patients said stop stressing about the knee.do the exercises as she prescribed. You must elevate the leg ..and if it gets hot..put ice on it. I have a marvellous aid called a cyro cuff. .which circulates iced water on a knee cuff ( brace ) to reduce swelling ergo improve bend and mobility ! The visiting nurse said post discharge not to start taking gabapentin. .not good for you ! Be strong ..have faith in your body . And don't rush your recovery . It must be stressful havng your mum's funeral imminent ..You're the priority now. Best wishes Yasmin

• Posted

Very early days. Take your pain meds and do the exercises as it will get easier. Even with pain medication its not easy but start small and build up as it does actually get easier. You have to do the work it will not be comfortable at first.

If you are  swollen the ROM will not be good ice and elevate regularly as you are doing. 

Sorry to hear about your mum but take it slow if you are more mobile then great if not you will be. 

• Posted

Aww hun, it's horrible isn't it? I cried every day for 3 weeks, and my hubby hasn't ever seen me cry! No-one tells you it hurts so much. Please don't despair, it gets better. After 3 weeks, it got better day by day. Just rest, ice and elevate, sleep as much as you can. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.