Knee Replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a total knee replacement 3 weeks ago and I know it is early days, but I went to see the physiotherapist a few days ago and she said that I have to work at getting my knee straight, which I am doing as best I can, but it is very painful. I am concerned that my knee will be permanently bent if I don't do the excercises as given. Does anyone have any advice on the best excercises to do for the best results. Thank you. Pamela

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 6 weeks TKR and at 6 degrees in straightening, 110 on the bend. You just have to strengthen and stretch those muscles, especially the hamstring. Do everything your therapist says, as much as you can. Then ice and relax a bit. You'll get there.

• Posted

Hi, the best exercises are tge straight legged push down. Lie on you back with legs straight out. Point your toes up and then push your knees down onto the floor using your leg muscles.

I had my TKR 2 weeks ago and am still in pain. My one was complicated as this is the 4th operation on my knee in the past 2yrs. My first was an Open Wedge High Tibial Osteotomy, then a closed wedge HTO with bone grafting and a metal plate fixed. None of those worked so the 3rd op was to remove the plate in May 17' All those were to prevent me from needing a TKR due to my age (45yrs) During those 2years i've had max doses of codeine, paracetamol & ibruprofen daily plus required the use of crutches daily.

Now 2 weeks after TKR my leg feels burning, quad & calf muscles very sore. Due to start physio today but am worried re pain as i appear somewhat immune to Codeine now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.