knee replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.   I had my knee replacement some 3 weeks ago, still in pain, i am wondering if it would be ok to  use my circulation booster or would it cause damage to my knee?  MAX

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Max,

I'm sorry I don't know what a circulation booster is, and I would ask your doctor about it

3 weeks and still in pain?  you have a ways to go as do I.   I'm 7 weeks in,  and still have pain, but...not as much.  ice is my best friend.  Sleeping is not so good.  it takes time.  pain is normal.  I have been reminded that I had a pretty major operation, having a knee replaced.  your body is getting used to it.

ice and elevate!!

• Posted

Hi.  thanks for getting in touch, i am going to phone my doctor after hols to see if i can use my circulation booster, (you put both feet on it and it vibrates up your leg to increase circulation) max
  • Posted

Be sure to ask your doctor. Good luck with the healing. Do your exercises and PT and it will be so much better with time.
  • Posted

You are too early in the process to be trying shortcuts. Take pain meds as prescribed, not when pain hits (by tgen its too difficult to catch up). Ice as needed, elevate when sitting or lying and be faithful to the exercise program. Your first benchmark in time should be 6 weeks and 2nd, 13 weeks. As others have learned, this is a marathon not a sprint. There will be hurting but there shouldn't be extreme pain nor agony. Try to time pain meds 1/2 to 1 hr prior to exercising. I've been through 11 surgeries, 3 different prosthesis and 5 complete rehab and haven't found anything but time and patience to be the route to recovery. Physical therapy will hurt but should never become severe pain. Ice is your friend. I found the gel type ice packs were the best for me. They allow complete coverage of the knee, refreeze rapidly and don't create the mess of ice. The are available at many drug stores or Amazon. (Never allow the plastic to touch the skin as it can burn. Wrap in a towel or pillow case). Unfortunately most surgeons don't explain the recovery process very thoroughly. They want to cut and run. I have had a great physical therapist and have become friends. I started this at age 65 and now 81. (I have a rare tumor) Find the writings of Chico Marx on this forum. He has written a complete plan including all the high points and pitfalls. For a Texan transplanted from new york/New Jersey, he's easily followed through the journey. Good luck, just stay with this group. 1st thing you will learn is that we are all different in our healing as we are in our fingerprints and 2nd, don't put yourself against anyone else's time line for healing. You will find friends and family can be great allies but the can also be huge pains in the rear when they want to tell you about someone else's progression. An honest drcwill tell y oh that the new knee can own you a year before you call it yours and call it a friend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.