Knee replacement

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 6 months out from total knee replacement & it's still very painful,I'm not anywhere near 90d angle! It clicked&is still warm&swollen!what should I do?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Wow!! Everybody is so different . I’m at six weeks and I was doing great until the other day my muscles in my knee stopped working and I can’t walk now! I wonder why so many different outcomes! Hang in there Im told it gets better! I hope it’s true! I’m suppose to go back to work In Two weeks 
  • Posted

I’m 8 months out and still having those same symptoms. And yes, I have had PT and am going to gym!!!  Going to another surgeon tho.  You might want to consider that
  • Posted

I'm 9 months post TKR and today had been the worst day with pain , I've been referred back to PT not sure if they can get rid of the pain , it's been awful .. never again definetly not having the other 1 done lol xx

• Posted

For your flexion, you need to see your doc.  Maybe more PT will help...it's his/her call.  Have you been doing all your post-PT exercises at home to keep your flexion?  What was it when you finished PT?  Typically, PT will refer you back to the doc if you don't have 0 / +120 by 12 weeks.

For your other symptoms, try some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US, generic diclofenac elsewhere).  GREAT topical anti-inflammatory and pain killer.  Check with your doc or pharmacist about interactions with your current meds (very rare).  Use a few times daily, especially at bedtime.

• Posted

I can relate.. I had both my knees done, six weeks apart.  My right knee was done first and is going well.. still stiff ness around the knee but the bend is probably a 115.  My left has been a struggle it is 6 months now and I struggle to get a bend.. it might be a 100-105.  Still have a band feeling in the front of the knee... I have exercised  for the last 6 months.. my doctor continues to tell me give it time.. so I will continue with exercises, have no more therapy sessions..  plus I had a MUA 12 weeks out.. only thing I have going for me is no pain at all.. I hope all works out for you.. Debbie in PA
  • Posted

I hope your situation gets better soon. Im now told it takes more time to heal than we all were led to believe. I’m 7 months post left  TKR surgery. I don’t have pain now but just an extremely uncomfortable tightness and heaviness on both the inner and outer sides of the lower part of my knee. I feel like my gait is altered. My ROM is about 122 and I’ve had about 4 months of PT, a MUA at 12 weeks and now under the orders of my OS , I’m currently in Aqua Therapy twice a week and PT once a week for 8 weeks. I also ride my stationary bike at least 4 times a week and do other exercises. This is just my second week back in therapy. My OS has even prescribed prescription rubs for my knee. Hes given samples of  (Pensaid); which is extremely expensive. Thus far the tightness is still there.  I’m trying to remain optimistic and praying that this tightness will one day just disappear and that this is not as good as it gets. I understand in sone cases it can take up to a year and a half or longer to totally heal. Like most I find this to be a challenging ordeal. 
  • Posted

Hello  All

I am a year and month out from rtkr. I am in no major pain to speak of. I still get just a little tender if I sit to long and get little stiff.

Yes the first 6 months I was in pain 2. But [color=#333333]in keeping with my resistance exercises I'm really pain free.

Don't get me wrong I still watch my step walking in gravel or sand, and still watch how I kneel. Otherwise I'm off pain meds and pretty much got my lifestyle back. Thought I'd never get really pain free but I am.

As for your clunking ask for second opinion and keep doing your exercises

Hang in there it is a long road for recovery. [/color]

• Posted

Hi Tynetta09

I would get an appointment at your GP straight away if you have concern. Ok i know everyone recovers at different rates but 6 months is a long period of time. I had concerns after 3 months and straight away contacted my GP Surgery https://www.broadgategp.co.uk/ and they got me in touch with the right people to aide in my recovery. All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.