Knee replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

hi i am due to have a knee replacement in june would like some advice as feeling a bit unsure

and dont want spinal

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry about the spinal. I had one last April & the sedation and slept through the operation without knowing much about it. It is so much better than a general anaesthetic...you can have a cup of tea not long afterwards & I didn't feel sick. Good luck.

• Posted

i am now 8 weeks post op. i had a spinal anaesthetic and had no regrets at all. recovery is very short and i felt so well when i came round. . it was surreal hearing everything going on but felt fine and floaty. when you come round from full anaesthetic you feel quite groggy and ill. will be having my second knee after i have forgotten pain of this one and would definitely go for spinal again. x

• Posted

Hi Denise,

I've had two hip replacements and a knee (2/11/2019) in the past two years. My first hip I had general anesthesia but with the next two surgeries the preference of my anesthesiologist was a spinal block. I was freaked (the first time) to say the least. My surgeon said you are always better off going with the anesthesiologist preference (because he is most comfortable with it and you want that), he also said I would have an easier time afterwards with the spinal (come out of it easier and the block lasts after surgery).And lastly, my son in laws father is an anesthesiologist so we literally called him minutes before surgery (that's when I found out about the spinal) and he told his son that I should want the spinal.

So, would I have a spinal a third time, yep, you betcha. I never knew how they got a needle in my back and kept it there - to say that I had no idea about a spinal and how it is done is a complete understatement. Also I am a little older so I had 'heard' stories back in the day - things have changed so much and now I know how it works and how safe both methods are.

I believe in living in blissful ignorance so I did not know anything about how the surgeries were done beforehand (now too) because I did not want to be scared before doing something I knew I needed and wanted to get back to my life (aka no pain or limiting lifestyle) - but that's just me.Would I do each of them again, yes yes yes. Is recovery easy - look its work I won't lie but so was walking around in pain, not being able to do things AND this work will end, we will be strong and healthier after recovery.

Do your BEFORE surgery exercises every single day (usually starting 6 weeks prior to surgery). Don't read all the horror stories, it likely will not happen to you and may undermine your thought process during recovery.

Keep us posted - this is a fantastic community with some great information and comradery.

• Posted

With my spinal(s) at no point was I awake or aware of anything going on around me until I woke up (came to) in the recovery room many minutes after arriving. I do remember laughing a lot and making jokes and not being in pain.

• Posted

*The anestegeologist came to my room before the surgery because I asked to see him. He gave me the details on spinal vs general anesthesia. His suggestion at the end was to have a spinal. Doctors prefer it...he preferred it and recovery from it was much faster. I did hear people speaking at times during the surgery...but would never be able to tell u what they said. You will be in a state of not caring/sleeping/absolutely no pain.

I was skeptical at first about the spinal, but the anestegeologist put me at ease and it was a good decision. If however you are reluctant, get the general anesthesia. In my situation...it was my decision. Good luck!

• Posted

I have had both knees done, one with general and the other with a spinal. The spinal was much better with no after effects. You can have a spinal with sedation so you shouldn't be stressed about it. You can have headphones and listen to music, so you are not really aware of what is going on. there is nothing to worry about having a spinal instead of a general, given the choice I would go for spinal every time. Good luck and don't worry.

• Posted

I had spinal last October, had no problems at all. I woke up after with no complications at all other than a sore knee lol. Good luck

• Posted

I had a general and woke up feeling fine , no sickness, and whatever they used I had no pain for first 18 hours till it wore off . Up to you which you prefer and I would take advice of doctor , I was scared of having a spinal incase I could hear but doesnt seem thats the case . Some people also dont tolerate generals very well

• Posted

Hi Denise don't worry about the spinal it was a doddle compared to a general. Yes you are aware of things going on but you're not really. I know that sounds confusing but the sedation they give you makes you drowsy time passes quickly and before you know it you're in recovery. No sickness nothing. About a couple of hours later a nice cuppa and a sandwich. I've had both knees done the first March 2018 and the second 3 weeks ago. I'm absolutely fine down to 1 walking stick meds 2 a day and sleeping no bother. Even been shopping with my daughter. Good luck don't worry the end result far outweighs any negativity. X

• Posted

I had TKR 7 years ago. I had an epidural and was awake during operation.

Much easier than having a general anaesthetic but it is your choice.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Keep me updated.

Sarah

• Posted

I was also afraid about the spinal but that’s what I had and I liked it so much better than having General anesthesia. Within a half hour I was completely alert when I woke up from the spinal & I did not recall anything that happened during surgery. I would opt for a spinal in the future every time. Now, as for the pain after surgery. .. That is a whole different story. For the first 18 hours or so I felt great but once the anesthesia and pain block wore off the pain is severe. I am six weeks out from tkr and still in a lot of pain. I am waiting for that moment where I am glad I did this. But there are so many people that say it is worth it, so I wait for that moment. The recovery pain is just a part of this knee journey and it's a long road..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.