Knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi not strictly RA I know but I have now had RA for 20 years and as you will all know OA starts to creep into the joints after a number of years through wear and tear ,

I have now been told that the OA in my knee is Bone on bone no cartlige there or cushioning

my question. is has anyone had a knee replacement and how do they feel it has effected their quality of life has it improved it or do they regret having it done.

I have discussed the added risks which come along with a compromised immune system,with the surgeon, and it now comes down to when I want to go through with it. I am told that they have a life of approx 14 years and as I am now 60 with a possible life span of approx another 25 years.

do I do it now and enjoy it while it lasts or do I keep putting it off

all views and opinions welcome as I only know 1 person who has had a knee replacement

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jayjay1959

I had a full right knee replacement 7 years ago. The operation was fine, but very bad knee pain afterwards. I was given pain management which helped with the pain (Tramadol + Co-Codomol + Paracetamol), took 2 Paracetamol and 1 Tramadol together occassionally 2 Co-codomol). Had to use a wheelchair for a while. My knee healed after six weeks having physio during those weeks and was able to drive six weeks after the op. I found my knee often got stiff after inactivity, but not painful. I had no bother with it up until this last year when it became painful and stiff, intermittently. I am due a left knee replacement and have had to put if off due to other health issues, but i am a bit hesitant to have it done because of the pain immediately after. This is due to the fact that i have other pain issues and don't know if i could cope for six weeks with post op pain and other pain isdues...jury still out on that one. I would say overall my experience was not overly traumatic, some have better pain tolerance than others.....i wish you well.....

• Posted

Hi,

I had my knee replaced about 8 years ago and it was an instant success. I healed very quickly and was out of hospital in 2 days. Pretty pain free and walking without a stick within 3 weeks.

I know you have to make your own decision but my left knee is needing replaced and I'll have no hesitation when the date comes through.

I hope you can get the best advice to make the best decision for you

• Posted

Hi, i've had 2 knee replacements & a hip! I had been on Etanercept for a number of years for RA . I would say that your quality of life will improve a great deal. I don't think they really can say definately the number of years they will last. Also better to have it done while you're younger! i was told 10 years for mine. i'm now 77 yrs old & had them done well over 10 years ago! i think as there are several areas in your life that would be better following the replacement.

• Posted

thanks for that and im 60 so the surgeon said it's an average of 14 years but to my mind why wait till I'm 68 or 70 when I can improve my quality of life now

I swim regularly, and enjoy walking although of late its normally walking along a flat surface where there are plenty of benches to sit along the way so I'm fairly

• Edited

Hello Jayjay.

Your question might have been mine. I have had RA for 12 years and, like you, one knee is almost bone on bone.

I had everything set up for the knee replacement, did a lot of research, talked to others who had done it... But the op was scuppered by a sudden other serious illness that has put me back. So now I will have to wait...

They do say that the longer you can manage without it, the better, because then the life of the knee is more likely to coincide with your own life (I am 74). But finally, as several knee surgeons said to me, that decision can only be made by you.

Generally, however, with one exception, those I spoke to were very happy to have had the op done.

Reading other's reports here of post-op pain, I'm moved to share something specific I found out....

First of all try to be as low in weight as you possibly can. It's worth losing weight if only for the op because, obviously, the more weight your new knee has to carry the more pain there's likely to be.

But even more important...physiotherapy. It's not just about the physio you have to do after the replacement, it's what you need to do before.

I can't own it for myself yet, but all reports say that unless you are already extremely fit, strengthening thigh and calf muscles, as well as core muscles with 'bridging' exercises – in fact all the surrounding weight-bearing muscles to that new knee of yours – is vital before the operation.

It does make sense really. Strong legs will hold your new knee in place and reduce pain. Then the post op physio could well be a breeze.

You wrote: "I have discussed the added risks which come along with a compromised immune system, with the surgeon, "

Would you share what he said to you?

Like you I am immune compromised, but none of the people I spoke to also had RA, so you may have something valuable to tell us...

Either way, all the best...

• Posted

Hi the surgeons comments about the RA was around the medication I currently take Methotrexate weekly alongside a biological the surgeon mentioned having to come off the Bio meds before hand but could most likely stay on the MTX he will co ordinate all that with the RA team a few months before.

And because I have recently had a massive steroid dose a month ago he would prefer to wait 4 months before going ahead, Hence my questions he has given me the info pack but he suggested I speak to people who have been there done the operation

Thanks for your input.x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Jayjay. Yes, my surgeon said I'd need to come of MTX one week prior and two weeks after.

You say you'd been on 'a massive' dose of steroids... Would you mind telling me what exactly that 'massive dose' was? I've been fluctuating between 5mg and 7.5mg for years. Can't seem to get much below 5mg tho.

You...?

• Posted

I always have mine in injection form I had a 200 mg dose about 1 month ago Depomedrone I think that's how it is spelt I was given 120 mg but after 2 weeks no effect was given another 80mg

in my bottom, but in the past have had them direct into Joints,

Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.