Knee replacement abroad

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

Posting for my wife who is waiting for a total knee replacement on the NHS. Has anybody gone abroad for this surgery? The reasons for asking are she has been quoted 15-18 months for the procedure, We did look at going private in the uk for this but with costs 15k to 17k this is unaffordable for us. Having a dig round various other countries its seems the same surgery in what looks like a very nice hospital with flights, hotel accommodation and transfers cost around 7k. Countries include Lithuania, Hungary, and Turkey, so has anybody had this done abroad? and what are your thoughts on doing this. thanks in advance.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

that's a big NoNo.. Plz stay in your own country.

so ya gonna go out of the country for surgery, 6 week check ups, meds, training for movement restrictions . walker , follow up xrays. come on be reasonable... that is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard.

again in my humble opinion ...the public is not informed about this complicated surgery. surgeons must have 100's of THR surgeries a year and for follow up for weeks and if any complications what are ya gonna do?

this is not like going in for a auto tire change. plz see details of THR surgery . this is a complicated procedure. pain meds , check ups support , and many aides needed to get thru THR surgery.

don't risk it. it' s difficult enough surgery and a very painful healing cycle...she will not heal completely for up to a year after THR.

the out of country surgery is less cost wise but health wise the cost to your wife's healing progression could be much higher than any amount of cash you save. THR surgery from other countries know that this particular surgery is a big money maker... you want the correct implant's used, proper fit and size . it is sold as easy peasy. it is not ....it takes every ounce of physical and emotional strength to walk and heal . your wife has enough to deal with let alone traveling to a different country. Also flying travel could be a huge risk for blood clots and risk factor for other complications .

i have been thru 3 THR surgeries each one is different . my personal experience and advice stay home and wait for the surgery. going to other countries is a huge risk and they are waiting for patients like your wife who is in a big hurry and offer this cheaper procedure .. the risks involved far out weight the cheaper price and travel.

it's like the old saying "You get what you pay for". cheaper, sooner, does not mean responsible or better.

of course you can do what ever you decide . just sharing my experience. maybe do more homework and watch the procedure by surgeons online....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.