Knee replacement as Day surgery

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was chatting to a lady in the USA and she had a full knee replacement at 8 am and was home by 4.30 pm the same day. Amazing...

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I was reading an article about this. TKR done as an outpatient. They were saying the idea was feasible but everything would have to be perfect and the incidence of emergency admission back into hospital would be high.

Although it would save the hospital a lot of money the problems would outweigh the benefits. As such they hadn't attempted it as yet.

As a TKR patient myself (now20 weeks) i can't imagine anything more horrifying

• Posted

Her quick departure from the hospital could have something to do with her health care program?.  Could be partially a financial thing, but I am just guessing.  I hope she had home care to check on her.
  • Posted

I stayed an additional day (4 days) in the hospital because I could.  Personally I really needed that time to just get used to moving around and I think the extra day helped my prepare for re-introduction into the wild.   Best of luck.
  • Posted

MaryI am in California and had my TKR one day and was home the next. Mine was the minimally invasive done at the Coon Institute in St. Helena. I don't think I had any more or less issues than others have had on here.I have over 130 bend and am doing fine. I think when the main tendon is cut the healing process and surgery is more in depth. Minimally invasive does not cut the main tendon.
  • Posted

Absolutely unbelievable. I was in hospital for 9 days!!

The consultant who did the op would not let me out until I had atleast 75 degree bend on my knee.

• Posted

She is quite young about 50 I think, and she wanted to do it that way...her surgeon has very strict criteria before he allows it, she is having the next one done the same way in a couple of weeks.

i think she is California, too. 

• Posted

WOW! Mary 

thats some going ..I was in hospital for 9 days

• Posted

truly amazing! not sure my hubby would be very happy if that happens to me,it sounds like an awful lot of responsibility for those looking after her, but good luck to her
  • Posted

I think if it is one of the small incision, quad sparing type surgeries, this is more feasible.     Here are the options a surgeon looks at  in terms of getting to the knee joint itself:   

Medial Parapatellar Approach: With a medial parapatellar incision, the surgeon will cut the quadriceps tendon above and around the inside (medial) of the patella. The patella is generally flipped in this approach to allow access to the knee joint. The tendon is repaired at the end of the procedure. Some are of the opinion that the tendon heals faster than the muscle belly of the vastus medialis oblique (VMO), which is part of the quadriceps muscle.

Mid-Vastus Approach: The mid-vastus approach cuts into the VMO muscle belly and around the inside of the knee cap, instead of cutting the tendon. Some feel that leaving a large portion of the VMO intact will help patellar tracking and strength. The patella may or may not be flipped. The muscle belly is repaired at the end of the procedure.

Sub-Vastus Approach: The sub-vastus approach does not involve cutting the VMO muscle at all. Instead, the muscle is elevated and the patella is not flipped. The incision extends around the inside of the knee cap.  The patella is typically not flipped with this approach.  This approach may be difficult in patients with large VMO muscles.

Quad-Sparing Approach: The incision in the quad-sparing approach cuts only the inside of the knee cap. This approach requires special side cutting instruments and is less common than some of the other approaches.

Lateral Parapatellar Approach: Another relatively uncommon approach is the lateral parapatellar approach. In this approach, the incision extends around the outside (lateral) of the knee cap.

Any of these total knee replacement approaches can provide good results. Patients should discuss the approaches with their surgeon to understand the mechanics of the surgery but  are probably best advised to allow the surgeon to perform the approach the surgeon recommends and is most comfortable with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.