Knee replacement failure

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 45 years of age had a tkr in April 2017 ,from day one I felt something wasn't right ,but not knowing anything about this operation I was guided by my surgeon ,I got to the 3 month mark and after having 5 surgeries prior to the tkr ,I had a great deal of scar tissue and with persistence and a lot of pain I broke a lot of it up and I had gained nearly 125 degree bend ,but also while doing this I kept saying to my surgeon it doesn't feel right ,I was told that things will settle with time ,well time has gone by and at the 12 month mark a bone scan and ct were done ,they showed hot spots all over the knee ,and I was told it's just to early to say its come loose ,I'm now at the 18 month mark and the latest scans have showed the tibual component has come loose ,this whole time my knee has been so swollen and weight bearing so painful ,it has got me so depressed that I'm struggling with life on a day to day basis ,and while being heavily sedated on anti depressants ,and walking with the aid of a walking stick ,I've been limping the whole time ,now after scans of my back ,it has endured all the stress of my limping and now I'm suffering terribly with lower back pain and a knee which to weight bear on is so painful and just sitting down I have a constant ache ,I'm too scared to go under for revision surgery as I have lost faith in the surgeon ,mentally and physically I'm not ready for this operation again ,everything I was told about this tkr has been the complete opposite, any suggestions ,I'm really struggling mentally and physically and in the process I've got independent doctors saying I'm fit to work ,so I'm fighting a system which doesn't work ,I was injured at work and now I'm paying the price for that .

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm begging you to go to another orthopedist! What's next for your poor leg, a fracture? I'm so very sorry you're in all this pain, and just the mental let down of knowing you can't do the stuff you used to do before when you thought you'd be able to after the surgery. I know what you're going through, but we soldier on.

• Posted

Go to another asap before more damage is done , this should have been addressed earlier . Good luck

• Posted

Hello, I'm sorry to hear you are having so many problems.

I had a TKR, fortunately mine worked well until I fell directly onto it. Everyone was telling me the X-Rays were fine but I went back to my GP and eventually got sent back to the surgeon.

I had a bone scan and like you I had hot spots, or rather one large one on the tibial component. I decided on a revision, which has worked out well.

Normally a TKR could be expected to last 10-15 years, and its a shame to revise it, but I was guided by symptoms, and it was the best thing for me. I had a good surgeon, but if I hadn't been happy I would have insisted on another, it's a patient's right. Whatever you decide to do, don't be bullied. I was, and I regret I didn't stand up for myself more. Decide what you want and go for it. Good luck.

• Posted

I said the same thing...something isnt right, but kept being told give it time. To further my fserious doubt with this surgeon s medical capability, he had me misdiagnosed with Tendonitis as well. Thankfully, I still go back to PA to see an old surgeon occasionally and I am looking ar another revision TKR in spring.

Only putting it off that long bc I hobbled around for past 14 months, so what's 5 more? plenty when I am in unnecessary pain! But work commitments say I cant get it done until April.

Yes, it has thrown out an already bad back that has gone through multiple surgery's, but as soon as my back started going on a more regular basis, I got a referral to aquatic therapy.

It's bull they wont listen until a year, and even then it is hit or miss. Good luck to you and I would say find a different surgeon!

• Posted

i am in the same boat (the titanic! it feels like at times)

i had TKR in Feb 2016 and like you it didn't feel right after the operation which I had done in Sutton Coldfield,Birmingham.

At present I am under the pain clinic at the Royal Orthopedic who seem to think it's nerve and scar damage. They want to do a Genicular nerve block which I'm dreading as I've lost all trust in the knee

lot.

i also have developed lower back pain and my general health has taken a battering from the whole process.

Caused me far worse problems than I had before

Burning legs and feet. Sore feet

Broken sleep from pain

Walking like a drunk

Losing my balance

i really wish I had never had it done x

• Posted

Medical devices that are unsafe and have not been adequately tested are ending up inside patients' bodies, an investigation has revealed.

The devices include heart pacemakers, rods to correct spines, and artificial knees and hips.

The investigation found implants that had failed in baboons, or were tested only on pigs and dead bodies, were coming onto the market.

I'm in the same boat although I cant get them to admit it

• Posted

agree agree agree agree agree agree

wish i hadn't had it done

x

• Posted

Hi Mary I seen my surgeon during the week ,he wants to try and just replace the tibual component if its possible, but to get to it I need a tibual tubercle osteotomy ,I'm so scared to do it all over and more again ,with no guarantee of it working ,I've spoken with my GP going to get a second opinion, and go from there ,but things dont look to promising and I really dont know what to do

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.