Knee replacement fear

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi..I'm 21 old...I have severe osteoarthritis i n both knee...doctor recommende knee replacement but my grand ma says not to do operation because when she had done the operation ..she had felt how the doctor was cutting the bone ect...now I'm sacred😞

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You can't feel nothing at all, I don't know why your gran said that. I've had 3 knee replacements as well as other knee ops You are asleep throughout the op. It will be the best thing you will ever have done. Virtually pain free after. Don't listen to other people

• Posted

Nish taa, you have nothing to lose. I recommend doing both knees at once if insurance allows. Pain after surgery easily controlled by pain meds and with physical therapy and hard work, you can walk again. Remember, work on getting full range of motion before and after surgery.
    • Posted

I think she had done spinal anesthesia because she said she knew what was happening in the operation room....can I have both knees replaced at the same time
    • Posted

Yes, you can have both knees done at same time. Pain is pain whether 1 or 2 knees. Will have pain 1st week or 2 but work hard and use ice. I pray you get back on your feet fast. Good luck my friend. Keep us up to date.
  • Posted

Is your osteoarthritis so severe at your young age due to RA?  I have seen many people around me have knee replacements and recovered and led normal active lives.  I think the key is to follow what the doctor tells you and most importantly to do the physical therapy afterward and stay active. What your grandma experienced is quite different then technology today.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Nish Taa, I had a knee replacement 2 years ago with an epidural. I was a bit nervous but needn’t have been. I must have had some sedation because I remember absolutely nothing and no after effects from a GA. Brilliant.  Physio essential. I didn’t need the crutches in my home post op.  Don’t know what happened to your grandma.  Good luck. Carol 
  • Posted

Although I've not ever had the surgery I have known many people who have had it and I've had my own surgeries to base my opinion on. I understand that if your grandma had a bad experience why she wants to save you from the same thing but I think that is highly unlikely in this case. Not only that but if you have severe arthritis in your knees then you're going to need to weigh the options of replacing the knee or not replacing them and dealing with the constant pain. I wish you luck honey and please keep us posted.

I also want to say how sorry I am about your chronic pain at the age of 21. I've heard of a few other people that get arthritis at a young age but I think all of those were rheumatoid arthritis. Having your needs replaced it's not that common for young person. But that being said because you're so young you stand a much better chance of a good recovery then say your grandma.

• Posted

Yes, no need. You can start exercises. Go to the doctor and ask some exercise techniques.
  • Posted

Hi,

A lot of knee replacement surgery is now done as day surgery or with only a night or 2 in hospital. A number if years ago a procedure called a 'uni compentmartal' knee replacement was developed which involves only replacing the section of the joint that is worn.

Most hospitals now run pre operative preparatory sessions, often called 'joint schools'. This is a great opportunity to ask about the procedure, the anaesthetic, physio and functional recovery you can expect..... these sessions are usually led by a nurse and/or a physio or Occupational Therapist.

At your age, knee replacements will restore a level of function that should enable you to be active quite quickly.

Good luck and all the best

Anthony

• Posted

*unicompartmental........ Don't you just live predictive text!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.