Knee replacement fears

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello all, I probably should be on the Health Anxiety forum as this is not an eminent issue but of course ventured over here because I have fears around knee replacement surgery. I currently have arthritis in my knee and I have had it since I was 27. I will likely need knee replacement in the next 10 to 15 years and I am terrified of getting a blood clot during surgery and it’s traveling to my heart and I die. I have read that is one of the symptoms or risk and have known a person this happened to so now I am terrified. I know I will have to have the surgery or else suffer but I am scared. No this this is not an eminent issue but being the anxious person I am I immediately feel the fear of it. I wonder how you guys overcame this fear. Also do any of you have experience with stem cells and are they effective in helping with arthritis?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Margot, please don't let this issue worry you so much. I have just had bilateral replacements. They will give you injections to prevent clotting whilst you are in hospital, and you will be discharged with hard core blood thinning meds.

With every operation there is a risk of blood clots, but when you think of all the thousands of procedures that are performed every day, the risk is really very small. They have to warn you of all risks by law, I know that is scary, but it doesn't mean that the risk is high.

Have a word with your doctor, I'm sure that they will understand your fear and set your mind at rest. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.