Knee replacement in 2 weeks time

Posted , 12 users are following.

I’m 52 and facing knee replacement in 2 weeks time , I do a heavy manual job and have been off work now for several weeks with arthritis , whilst off work I’ve been in less pain and now as the op is nearing I’m feeling very nervous and wondering whether I should ask for injections and postpone the op a while longer . 

‘I have a BMI of 36 and am wondering if it’s best to try and lose weight and have the operation later in the year or if I’m just being scared as I’ve never spent a night in hospital  before .

ive looked on this site and there seem to be a lot of people in pain or still suffering , my preop is on Tuesday and I really don’t know what to do for the best . 

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have never had a knee replacement before but i suffer from chondromalcia and my knee is worse when i have been working.I would suggest that you have the operation and get it over and done with.Not knowing how long you have been off sick and what your employer is like regarding sickness you obviously were due to have the surgery for a good reason.Don't cancel it or postpone it as you will regret it.I have had othe operations and were not sure what to do but i went ahead with them and everything worked out fine.Please think really carefully before you make the final decision.Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks , my employer is very supportive in my abscence , have been off 3 months but original op was cancelled in December as my surgeon left suddenly so this is a new surgeon now - we all  had to be rescheduled hence the delay 
  • Posted

They don't do tkr's unless they are really needed, with arthritis, it will only get worse the older you get.

I was virtually crippled before I had my first knee done, but was still surprised when I was told I needed it.

It's a hard operation to get over, but I've had both knees done, and wouldn't want to go back to the awful arthritic pain I had before.

You'll be given good painkillers, and it's just a matter of time and doing your exersices when you get home. In the long run you'll be glad you had it done.

• Posted

Hi Eastie. Someone once said "you'll KNOW when you need that knee replacement, absolutely know." And she was totally correct. I knew. I'd put them both off for years however when I knew, I begged my surgeon to fit me in. If you're not certain, then wait. There are remedies which can postpone the inevitable. Also physio might assist is strengthening muscles to hold knee in place. Please lose weight. It's so beneficial. I love food. I love it however my extra few kilos is making my new two year old knees ache. Too many holidays! Please make this a time to prepare yourself because it is a marathon event but with what may be, amazing outcomes. xxx

• Posted

Thanks - I’ve had pain for a few years and it’s worsened, gap on inside of knee worn away but since being off sick it feels much better - however I think if I go back to my job the pain will return as heavy work , I guess I’m just getting nervous now as the operation is only 2 weeks  away . 

‘I can bend my knee ok at the minute and worst pain is at night when I wake and inside of knee is very painful - there is crunching inside when I bend the knee too - I’m just wondering if it’s best to say hold off another 6 months and go back to work with an injection and lose some weight or get it done done as scheduled and look to the future - I  just scared really I guess as there seem to be so many people still in pain . 

• Posted

Everyone is in pain after the surgery, but it goes, and I just looked at it as a good pain, it gets better, time is a great healer,  def true in this case.

To put it in context, I drove two weeks after surgery to physio, and was walking with one stick. This was with my consultants full knowledge. Maybe I'm good at handling pain, or just lucky, I didn't let it get me down.

As Lyn says, you know when it's so bad, you just want something, anything doing. If you're not at that stage yet,maybe wait.

• Posted

I do 2chrs a day on mini electric bike to keep knee moving and wonder if being fair;y mobile and only 52 will mean a quicker recovery?
  • Posted

Well, Eastie, Only you can make that decision. I had a higher BMI than 36 at the time of my tkr surgery in Nov. 2017. I did lose 15lbs. b4 the operation. I had to get a xomplete Cardio exan also. My knee feels stronger now and the Recovery is taking some time. I do the PT excersisez everyday &go 2 X a week to PT session. Patience is REQIURED for this recovery. Heat b4 workout and 8ce/elevate afterwards. I am glad I had the surgery becuz it was difficult for me to walk without a cane or walker.

• Posted

Thanks dawn , my walking is ok but I get pain after about 15 mIns of walking- this makes me wonder if I’d be best to delay a few months and lose some weight in that time .

however I know if I go back to work the pain will again prove too much as it’s a physical job standing all day with a lot of lifting .

will see how the preop goes on Tuesday , how long was your preop?

• Posted

Hi Eastie,

I had my first  tkr 6 1/2 months ago and will have my second one done in 2 weeks.  Even though it is my second time and I know what to expect, I'm still scared and nervous, but that is part of it.  My first tkr is doing very well, still a bit stiff, but am certainly glad I had it done. Had enough of the shots, etc.  just wanted to stop the pain!  What you're feeling is perfectly normal, your anxiety and not knowing if you're doing the right thing...those doubts go through everyone's minds as the surgery gets closer.  Only you know what you should do.  This surgery is a tough one, you need to be prepared to be tougher.  Whatever you decide, know that there are many on this forum that have and are going through the same thing...including me, but my decision has been made.

Good luck on whichever route you take.

Many blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

I was in the same boat as you. When your knee get bone on bone nothing will make it better other than tkr. Like you I do heavy manual work and also like you two weeks before surgery knees didn't seem to hurt as bad so I had seconds thought myself. I ultimately decided to go ahead with it. I am now 14 weeks post op and it's getting stronger everyday. Will probably be off for another 6 to 7 weeks before going back to work. Just have to remember that if you wait yours knees are only going to get worse but you'll have to make that call for yourself. As for me I'm glad to have it behind me and looking forward to no more pain for many years. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply - I’m going ahead with it so hopefully will be ok - had the preop so onwards and upwards all being well .
  • Posted

HI Eastie

i had bilateral tkr’s just over 2 yrs ago.  Like you, I had a very physical job and both knees bone on bone.  I held off having the op as long as I could, mostly, because I didn’t want to give in to it and my age.  They say the knee replacements are good for 10 to 15 yrs.  I was early 50’s when the pain started but the thought of them maybe needing to be replaced again at 65-67 yrs give me a lot to think about.  I was 59 when I had the op and very overweight??.  The op went well but difficult to get over, not having a good knee to rely on.  Yes, there’s pain after the op but it does gradually get better, different to before where it was gradually getting worse.  If you think you are going to be running marathons after the op and be in absolutely no pain, then I’m afraid your going to be disappointed.  There’s stiffness still etc but not that awful pain as before.  Only you know how bad it is for you.  Way up the pros and cons.  I’m glad now, I had them done but I’ll be 74-77 before they wear out again.  I’ll be slower by then anyway.  Your new knee may never need replacing again, depending how you treat it.  I’m afraid my big, fat behind will wear out first with me😛

good of luck with whatever you decide but it’s inevitable. 

Best wjshes

Sue x

• Posted

have decided to go for it - knees are not going to improve so I guess sooner it’s done the better . 

‘I’m scared about what lies ahead but happy to have found people on here to help my journey 

• Posted

Nothing to be scared of but you must be prepared for the reality of recovery...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-pre-op-expectations-622045

Give up all time expectations...the first 30 days are normally very painful...it takes a year to fully recover...you have to heal before returning to work in the 4-6 month range.  Very, very few people defy these parameters and have a fast, mostly pain-free recovery.  95% of us have to accept all of this and take charge of our own recoveries, accepting the fact that the knee will heal when it heals.  It can't be pushed, it can't be rushed.  It is what it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.