Knee replacement in 3 weeks. What should I expect,?

Posted , 20 users are following.

Had my pre op assessment today. I am due to have knee replacement at end of month. I'm only 46 so surgeon reluctant to do TKR. Hoping to do a partial but until I'm in surgery he doesn't know if this is possible and may have to do a TKR.

The nurse said today they may do it under a spinal block with sedation. Would rather have a general.

What type of anaesthetic did people have.

After surgery did you have a drain in knee. Said a possibility of blood transfusion. Said maybe need urinary catheter. Anybody have this?

Also what type of pain relief did you have?

Hope long were you in hospital?

Sorry for all questions. Just want as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance. X

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Debs I am 64 had TKR 2016, spinal block with Propofol sedation, I listened to my iPod so I didn't hear anything, but slept until near the end of op anyway. No transfusions, no drain, no catheter. 3 nights in hospital & home. 

Dec 2017 other knee, spinal block, Medazalam sedation, iPod again, slept but woke during op, still drowsy but no problems, no pain could hear but seemed as happening to someone else! No transfusions, no drain, no catheter. Up to use toilet that night with help from nurse, physio the next morning, bend at 89, extension -5 all better than the last. 2 nights in hospital more physio the day of discharge, then home. Hospital excellent, couldn't have had better treatment! 

Spinal is the best as you are awake properly soon after the op, you can eat & start to resume normality very quickly once feeling starts to come back.

Worry not!!

Marilyn 

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.