Knee replacement in airport.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Somebody said to me the other day that the metal in a knee replacement will be detected by security,so you have to have a letter from your doctor/surgeon. Does anybody know about/have experience of this please?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi John

I had my TKR surgery overseas and flown within my country a few times since my surgery. You do set off the metal detectors through customs check. I just tell them I have had a knee replacement before entering (they always beep) than I stand to one side they give me a quick pat down and a second swipe with a metal detector (it always beeps over the knee) and off I go. I have never had a letter from a doctor.

Hope this helps

Jodie

• Posted

Hi John

I was given an A4 sheet of paper which states what has been done to my right knee. It's not a letter as such. I'm coming up to 14 weeks post op now. I'm going abroad in June so will experience what happens.

• Posted

Thanks Kim

Thinking of June myself actually. Have a good one

John.

• Posted

I tell TSA that I have a knee replacement before I go thru. My airport has the X-ray machines so there is no problem. When I go thru small airports, I set off the metal detector and get the cute once over by a woman I've never met, LOL. Never had any trouble and I fly a lot!
    • Posted

Jeannenp,thanks.

The cute once over by a woman sounds nice

John.

• Posted

Hi John!

My surgeon gave me an official card from his office with all his info on the front and the dates of my two TKRs on the back. I had it laminated in preparation for my Jury Duty assignment as I heard there are metal detectors at the courthouse.

The case was settled out of court, so I didn't need the card right then, but I am now all set should I travel by air or have to go through any other metal detectors!

A business card size is nice because you can put it in your wallet and have it readily available. The way things are going, we probably will need to go through metal detectors before we head into grocery stores or movie theatres before long!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

Sounds like you had a good guy. Mine isnt nearly as helpful. But Im sure youre right about added security. Its a necessary evil I suppose. Never been picked for jury duty. Wonder if you felt relieved or dissapointed when you were stood down. Thanks

John.

• Posted

Hi John!

I was actually relieved not to have Jury Duty because I was just a month out from my second surgery and wondering how sitting for a long time without ELEVATING my legs was going to go! I didn't want to shirk my civic duty, but I wanted to be able to do it and still be comfortable. Fortunately I didn't have to worry about it.

My daughter-in-law's mom was called for the same week in the same court as I was. She obviously didn't have to go either.

The REAL clincher was that our 27 year-old son was ALSO called that week! His went through, though, and it was a Federal Court case in Cleveland. His was two weeks in length! He said it was one of the most interesting things he has ever done. He was chosen as the Foreman. I was very proud that he took it all so seriously.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

Im in UK but Id have told them I couldnt do it at 4 weeks out. At that stage I was on crutches and couldnt drive. To all intents and purposes housebound. Id have definitely been relieved in your position though.

Ive never been called and Ive only met a couple of people who have done it in my 67 years,one of whom ironically from the US . Minnesota actually. But of course Ive met a few more whove been on the wrong end of it. None of them personal friends I might add

John.

• Posted

This was the first time for me to actually get that far in the process. Years ago Probate Court sent me a letter about being a Juror, but things were settled before it got that far. This happened again about five years later, same court.

Six years ago our oldest son ended up a Jury member for a MONTH on a local murder case. It was VERY HARD on him because they had to go as a group to the murder scene. He was very affected by his experience. The Jury convicted two people who are in prison now for the rest of their lives. Heavy stuff, big responsibility for a Jury.

This go 'round just seemed so strange in that my daughter-in-law's mom, our youngest son, AND I were all called for the same week in two different courts. It seemed odd that would happen.

At Christmas I spoke with our friend's daughter who had been incarcerated for four years for robbery. She had been released a couple months before. She was truly a changed person--very much for the good-- following her experience. We talked for a long time. Prior to being in prison she was brash, daring, a real risk-taker. In talking to her at Christmas she said she had truly been humbled by her experience, had seen how wrong she had been and deepened her relationship with the Lord while being in prison. I saw a changed person. I was very glad to have talked with her that day.

Juries have big responsibilities. Maybe one day we will be a part of that.

I hope you are doing well.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl

Hope you dont think I was being judgemental. Havent exactly been an angel myself despite never been judged by a jury. And its good your friends daughter has changed. We all deserve at least a 2nd chance.Β 

John.

• Posted

Oh, of COURSE NOT! Never thought you were judging. I am just glad it worked out that I could be given a pass on my civic duty while I was still a bit iffy with my knees! Those early days following surgery are so strange when you are never sure how you will feel or what your needs will be.

That was the first time I ever spoke to someone I knew who had been incarcerated. I am SO GLAD I made it a point to spend time talking with her! In this life we never know who will come across our path to change the way we see the world. I am grateful for having met so many inspiring people!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

• Posted

Hey! Just heard you were headed to GREECE! Have a GREAT TIME!πŸ™Œ

Was there with my family and people from several other churches around the USA as part of a Holy Land trip back in 1972! LOVED everything about Greece! The people were SO NICE! Our tour group was eating dinner one night on the rooftop of our hotel. Across the street there was a wedding reception taking place on THEIR rooftop. The father of the bride came over and invited all 60 of us to "COME, you COME! You come make celebrate with us!"

We went! Had the BEST TIME with perfect strangers who very quickly became like FAMILY! One of my best memories EVER!!!πŸ™ŒπŸ˜πŸ™‹πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜„πŸ™ŒπŸ˜‰πŸ™‹β˜ΊπŸ˜πŸ™ŒπŸ˜„πŸ˜Šβ˜ΊπŸ™‹πŸ˜Š

• Posted

I also was given a card from my doctor that explains that I have had a double knee replacement . Convenient because it fits right in my wallet.
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl

Nice story. Thanks for that. They are very hospitable and friendly people. Having a bit of a hard time lately to say the least. Hope they recover from it

Thanks Cheryl,happy memories

John.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.