knee replacement -lack of sleep

Posted , 18 users are following.

Evening all, had a total knee replacement 4 weeks ago and still can't sleep. I used to sleep like a baby but now wake up every 2 hours. Am totally exhausted, I am only 45 but this is one tuff ride. Any advice on how to sleep more comfortable and why I may have a pain in the arch of my foot.

Thank you

3 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi nikki I'm at 4 weeks plus 2 and am having the same problem some nights I'm lucky and can get 4 straight hours but if I get that then that's it I'm awake. Constantly tired but no pain anymore just a constant tightness and heavy ache. Physio is going well or so they say and like you I am only 44 so you h e my every sympathy. I thought because I was younger I would breeze though this but it hasn't worked out that way. Good luck and hope you manage some sleep soon xx
    • Posted

Hi Joanne, I know stupidly that is what i thought... I just think whatever age this is a tuff procedure to get over. That's just like me aches but I do find doing the exercises does help. Good luck to you. X
  • Posted

Regarding the strong meds, my stomach couldn't handle them and I couldn't wait to get off them.  I took oxyie...for one week...had some T-3.  I wanted to start feeling myself again because I don't do well with chemicals.  Everyone is different here.   Right now I have some anti-inflammatory pills to help with the tissue damage.
  • Posted

Hi nikki unfortunately this sleeping problem is hard to cope with. I am 9weeks today and I spoke to my GP a few weeks ago. Gave me a small sleeping tablet called Zoldeplene ,I have just half a tablet at night. Absolute godsend, I am getting around 6/7hours sleep. I probably wake a couple of time to adjust my damn knee, but I'm straight off again. No one tells you about the sleeping problem when you have the op. so we are all unprepared. It's so exhausting and makes the nights unbearable. How are you feeling otherŵise nikki? It's a hard journey isn't it. Love and take care 
    • Posted

Hi, I did wonder about sleeping tablets, I can get to sleep just wake up in a funny position... then the same every couple of hours. Yes a very tuff journey, never thought in a million years it would be this hard. I honestly thought I would be back at work in 6 weeks, don't have the concentration to read a book so thinking of work is frustrating. How do feel 9 weeks on, does it get better? Xx
    • Posted

Hi nikki, wish I could say yes everything's fine now. I thought at 6weeks I would well on the way to full recovery. At 9weeks I am still weepy, unable to concentrate, can't read or watch TV in any sort of comfort. I am going out on my own doing a bit of shopping ect, but I would say i have one good day to three bad. Knee is still very hot and painful. I have lost a lot of weight and my appetite is really poor now. I have had one driving thought since the op, my granddaughters wedding, nov 1 st. I am determined to do a waltze with my grandson. Heaven help his toes afterwards. Hope this post hasn't upset you. I never thought it was going to be this bad.take care my friend luv tucks
    • Posted

Aww no I'd rather hear the truth, funny before I had the op a couple of people said "yea it's fine, no worries" but now the truth comes out and they are saying they did not want to put me off!! I'm sure you will have an amazing time and I would have a couple of strong cognac's. X nikki
    • Posted

Cheers nikki, I shall certainly be having a few drinks , this damned op will not stop me. Lovely to talk to you, take care x
    • Posted

Hi Nikki, I was desperate to know if things get better too. I am 11 weeks now and, yes, it does get better. I was waking several times a night. I think the knee gets stiff in one position then it wakes you. I started sleeping better about a month ago. I get very little pain in bed now, just stiffness and an ache sometimes. Although not back to normal, I'm driving, going out shopping and doing things around the house. I think it's the exercises that are strengthening the knee so it's really worth keeping up with them. I was expecting to gradually feel better and better but it doesn't seem to work like that so be prepared for days when you feel like you're going backwards. Also, tiredness is a problem for weeks. In fact I still get tired after doing very basic things. The knee seems to take over your whole life so concentrating on anything else is very hard. I hope it's reassuring to know others went and are going through similar things to you and hope you get a better rest tonight. Jen x
    • Posted

So sorry to hear things are not good for you tucks and you were doing so well. Try and stay positive I am now 4 weeks plus 2 still not sleeping and my apatite has now disappeared. I've been back to the doctors today and he had adjusted my meds as I thought reducing them was a good idea. Turns out it wasn't a good idea at all so here's hopin my new meds will kick in soon. I'll be thinking of you and hope your feeling a bit more human very soon. Love Jo xx
  • Posted

I just want to add I realize we/me sometimes get off topic on a thread, and I apologize.  But I appreciate hearing what everyone can contribute when the feel up to telling us.  Thanks
  • Posted

Good or bad, I think it's good to know where others are in their recovery so we know we aren't alone.  I'm 59 and I say I have no idea how 85 year old people do this.  I have so much respect for them and their determination to keep moving.  I just want the discomfort to go away....it would be so nice to feel normal again, but I'm not sure there is a normal again.  Keep smiling, keep positive thoughts, one day at a time.
    • Posted

Hi there Sharon. i am 82, a widow, living alone and am today 9weeks post op. doctor told me a needed the knee done because it was affecting my hips, what he failed to tell me was that their would be so much pain, depression , and sleeplessness . I have found this out the hard way. I like do not feel I am ever going to feel normal, and have to question the stupidity of having it done at my age. I have a day or two when I think ,yes it's getting better them wham its back with a vengeance . My swelling has not reduced one bit, very hot and painful after all the excersises and icing. I only had to go to physio twice because my knee was doing so well. So how long do I have to wait until it setles down. Sharon it's so lovely to have a moan. How are you doing my friend? It sure is tuff ain't it. Love from tucks take care x
    • Posted

Aaww, Tucks, sorry to hear things are not good. You seemed to be doing so well. That's what it's like though isn't it? You think it's improving and then you seem to go backwards again. Is there any way you can get some physio advice again? I go to a weekly knee class and the physio has advised some particular exercises for the pain I am getting. I think they're beginning to help although they're no quick fix. I'm a few weeks ahead of you and if I'm honest,  although I'm still complaining, I am better than I was a fortnight ago. So, hopefully you'll be the same. Keep your chin up. Love Jen x
    • Posted

Hi Jen thanks for your thoughts and comments. Can't understand the twists and turns that comes with this op.monday was an awful day, lot of pain and tears. To day .not very much pain wise and no tears so far. You are quite right I'm not as bad as 2weeks ago really, but it grinds you down doesn't it, for some reason I thought I would sale through it all. It's so good to be able to talk to people in the same position. I think living alone there are too many hours to fill with no one else to talk to. Thanks for listening and understanding. I will speak to pysio dept tomorrow.love from tucks x
    • Posted

Talk to us whenever you want, Tucks. I find I can say things on this site which would be so hard to say to family and friends. You're right, it does grind you down but we've no choice but to look forward and try to look for the positives now. I'm younger than you (64) and I think you've done so well. It will be worth it, I'm sure. Jen x
    • Posted

well all i can say is ive known older people to get it done and have said the same as you ,im only 53 and have had both knees done in 4 and a half months ,10 weeks on knee no 2 and i know what you mean with the depression and sleeples nights ,and yes ithink its easier for me with being younger . but some of the older people i know make me look soft lol , really though it takes longer but they have all had a good recovery ,so your not stupid for having it done and yes you will feel the benifit ,moan all you like if thats what you want , i think your doing well ,dont push it and have a great dance with your grandson at the wedding , smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.