Knee replacement lack of sleep

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just over 4weeks since my TKR and although I'm ahead of schedule on my recovery according to the physio I suffer from lack of sleep,I'm lucky if I manage 2-3hours split sleep a night it's not a pain issue just discomfort.my knee is still swollen and feels numb and pressurised and aches behind the knee mainly.ive tried over the counter sleep remedies to no effect,so I am now considering prescription sleeping tablets.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brent,

Sleep deprivation is the pits!  I am 7 weeks post op RTKR and am just now able to sleep 6-7 hours with no interruptions from my leg.  I still experience tightness and numbness, but it isn't enough to disrupt my sleep.  I also think that once I got off of my pain meds, I was able to sleep. Give yourself a bit more time before you resort to night meds, even those have unwanted side effects .  

The first 4 weeks were the roughest for me, weeks 5-6 have shown the biggest improvements.  My knee still feels like it has a 20 pound weight around it, but I know this will improve over the next few months.  Stick with this forum,  it's a great place to find the answers to most of your questions .  Hang in there, we all feel your pain and sleepless nights ! 

Many blessings,

Cherry 🍒 

• Posted

There is often a nice boost in improvements around twelve weeks too! Something to look forward to! Goodv wishes to you!
  • Posted

I know its hard to believe its such a universal problem when its happening to you but lack of night sleep is why you shouldn't worry about grabbing a nap anytime you can during the day. The body needs rest to heal. You might try 10 mg of melatonin at bedtime. Its natural and helps some relax and isn't habit forming. One form is the type you let dissolve under the tounge. Slowly it will improve

• Posted

Hi Brent,

?Sorry to put a 'downer' on your Physio's enthusiasm but if you have a sleep problem at 4 weeks, if your knee is all of the things you describe you are NOT ahead of schedule, any schedule .......... you are just running the course. End of !

?You might even have 135 degree bend, you might have 0 flexion, but with lack of sleep and all the other issues you describe you are just running the course. Your Physio clearly has no idea what he/she is talking about.

What you describe is perfectly normal .... remember you HAVE  been butchered.

?If pain is an issue I used a prescription drug - CoCodomol 30/500, (I had no choice in this pain killer as I have a heart arrythmia and am on warfarin for life, so all the exotic over the counter stuff is no use to me)  take them as shown on the paper in the packet and it will help with pain and help a bit with sleep.  You may even be like this a week 8 or beyond.

I also am assuming you are frequently, elevating, resting and keeping ice on the knee.

?Good luck.

• Posted

I used to move my knee about for a few minutes, it helped.

I would not personally go for the sleeping tablets because I think the knee needs to be moved about a bit at night and they might knock you out so much you don't move it. Resting during day, i.e. afternoon nap might help as getting over tired doesn't help. Acceptance that this is normal may help. Relaxation techniques, lavendar oil on pillow helped me.

It is hard but common. Elevate and ice all day along with the exercises! As the knee settles down it will be easier! Good healing to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.