Knee Replacement next

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi All,

I had a Right Hip Replacement on 16th June and have had not problem with it aprt from doing the Physio has caused knee pain and I was told on friday that I am now on the list for a new knee. 4 to 6 month waiting list. I am only 50 and have been told the left knee and hip will have to be replaced in the near future.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Oh dear - well it must be needed as these are not cheap - why such a long wait? Are you in pain with knee? It might be more painful than the hip repalcement but for most of us it is worth it. Just a long wait and a long haul ahead. See if you can get in sooner even at a different hospital.
    • Posted

i was thinking it was quick !!!!!      well maybe where your from its long irish list are forever if your not private
  • Posted

That's sort of unloading on you all at once. News like that can make for a couple of sleepless nights just thinking about it. One poor fellow on her had bilateral tor plus a hip all in one go round. I still can't imagine the recovery from that, even if it was text book.
  • Posted

Ouch,  Hips are ok, as you know they get you out of bed before you have got your breath back, by the time you get you knee replaced you'll be walikg right as rain, try and work up your leg muscles as much as possile, then after op is slightly bearable and physio easier
  • Posted

4 to 6 months wait would be a dream in tenerife unless you were a private patient!  Of course, it must also depend on how  desperately you need the replacement!  It's an awful lot to look forward to, so hope it goes well for you.  Good to spend the time before the operations strengthening your muscles, and not forgetting the top half of your body, which takes quite a strain using the crutches to begin with, and heaving yourself out of chairs etc!  Keep in touch with the forum!
  • Posted

Hello everyone. Sorry to be off topic but this forum has helped me so much with inspriation and support when I had double arthroscopic knee surgery and was diagnosed with pvns. I'm a 23 yr old male but was just dignaosed with 2 buldging disc in my neck. Lol been having so much pain in my neck it kind of took away pain from my knees which is a good thing I guess. I've been trying to be so optimistic but it's very hard just basically trying to see if anyone here has experienced pain in the neck before an how long it could take it heal. It's just like a dull ache and I know this forum is about knees but hey it's worth a shot. Thank you so much everyone and any info would be greatly appreciated. God bless
    • Posted

What are they going to do about the buldge, physical therapy, traction, rest or some other form of treatment. I assume they aren't talking surgery. Issues such as yours unfortunately have a life of their own and take different paths to recovery. Has your dr discussed options at this point? Pin the professionals down and tell them to level with you as what to expect.
    • Posted

Thank you for your input oldfatguy. As of now there just saying do physical therapy an see how it goes. He says fortunately it's only 2 buldging disc and they are not herniated so that's a good sign. But to be honest with you the pain has been pretty bad for about 2 months now an it's just being hard to cope with since I don't like taking prescription drugs. He says sometimes buldging can go back own there own with pt or sometimes they can become hernations. Idk what to expect bc other ppl told me they don't go away some people say they had them in the past an pain does go away and some ppl say they needed surgery. It's just a scary thought since I'm still battling pain in my knees
    • Posted

Can you not wear a brace, even a light one, just to give you some comfort

• Posted

I'm not sure bc I think that would weaken the muscles. I am starting pt which I pray to god it helps bc this pain is just awful. I thought the pain in my knees was the worst thing ever but this is pretty close to it maybe even worse. I'm just trying to find someone who has had a buldging disc before and actually got better without surgery
    • Posted

Jeez, you poor thing, Am not thinking the brace for a day to day solution, just to give you a break from the discomfort every now and then. Sometimes, even half hour makes a lot of difference.Apart from physio have you been to a chiropractor, if nothing else they can advise you
    • Posted

I have in the past but not recently. My insurance covers so much so I can only basically take what I can get since in 23 and a college student. I just haven't fully recovered from double knee surgery yet and another problem is knocking on my door
    • Posted

Boy you have had  it tough. Make the most of all that is offered to you.  You are young and most probably impatient, dont be.  You will have  all the time in the world to do what you want to do later.  Get better soon, very boring and frustrating, ignoring it now and you really will be paying for it for a long time in the future
    • Posted

yea it's defiantly not easy especially bc I use to love working out and playing sports. This is all the result of a car accident that triggered something in my knees and tweaked my neck. But you are absolutely right thank you for your words no matter what happens to me now or in the further in always going to be truly blessed. People all over the world have it a million times worse than I do so I have to keep my head up and be fortunate. Of course why me pops in my head from time to time but I think that's normal. Lol at least I hope so :p but thank you to everyone this forum is always great helo
    • Posted

First and foremost, never ever compare what is happening to other people.  Your pain is yours, nobody knows to what extent.  Others may be in a worse condition than you, but they also are coping in a different way. I know someone (on this forum) is going to take offence to my comments, but think about it. Look at the next disabled person; watch how they cope, then you will see what I mean.  They are "coping", but you don't know what is going on in their head. They could be looking at you, and seeing your pain.  As to "why me". Of course you are allowed to say that, you are human, you are in pain.  It has nothing to do with be selfish. You say you were in an accident, perhaps there was damage to your spine, a nerve somewhere along the line has been damaged, causing your pain elsewhere (referred pain).  See what a chiropractor has to say. It will most probably be the total opposite of what a physio says as there seems to be a lot of professional rivalry in that department, but they are rather good at what they do. Keep positive, you are alive and "mobile". Soon you will be mobile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.