Knee replacement on 1st March

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've got my knee replacement booked on 1st March and have just had another hospital appointment come through for 6th March.  It's about an hour drive each way.  I was thinking that I could possibly get a wheelchair from the hospital if it's a fair walk from the car, but am wondering if the journey might be better avoided for another week or two.  How long is it best to wait - anyone?  Many thanks:-)

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Unless it is a really important appointment, I would ask for it to be rescheduled.You will only have had four days to recover from a very major operation, and unless you are superman or superwoman, you will likely not be feeling like doing much at all at that stage.  You could easily be anaemic, you will almost certainly be tired,  in pain, and fed up with the whole situation.  An hour's drive will be hard (I am assuming you are NOT going to be the driver!!!) as your knee will have to be bent to get in the car, and remain bent during the journey. that will at least be very uncomfortable, and at worst very painful.  Honestly, unless this is some sort of life saving appointment, I really would advise avoiding it. With only four days between operation and this I KNOW I could not even have contemplated this . . in fact, I was hooked up to a blood  transfusion at the the time. . . 

• Posted

Sorry, I just replied to this bit in the bit above!    But yes, that was one of my concerns about keeping the knee bent for that time, so it does make sense to put it off for a few weeks, I think.  Nothing disastrous is going to happen for a few extra weeks.
  • Posted

Hi Chris,

You'll be coming home in a car so just dose yourself up with pain killers and go to the appointment. You'll be able to get a wheelchair if it's too far to walk on crutches. I had to go back week post op and it just made me feel zonked

for the rest of the day so guses it depends on how bad you want to address your jaw problem

Everyone is different post tkr but it's great to have a stable joint but it's hard work. All the best.

Jan

• Posted

Thanks Jan and Chico.  Chico, don't worry - I've been reading these posts thoroughly for a few weeks now, so do have some idea of what to expect.   And as for preparation - I've been preparing for the op for weeks and weeks, thinking about every aspect and organising it.  LIving with severe arthritis for so long meant I'd already got the raised toilet, raised seats, hand grip screwed to the wall in the bathroom, high seat in the car and so on.  Husband is incredibly helpful, so I know he'll help with any aspect he can too.  I will put the hospital visit off for a couple of weeks because I'm wondering if it will increase stiffness - just sitting for that period and the jaw problem really isn't urgent.  A few weeks won't make much difference:-))))

• Posted

"...some idea of what to expect."

Prediction: One week post op, you'll be saying to yourself: "OMG!!! I had NO IDEA it would be this bad!!!"  Guaranteed...  Throw ALL your expectations out the window and remember only one word: brutal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.