Knee replacement pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

I posted before about my knee replacement nightmare. Surgery was in March , with two manipulations also. Still struggling to bend it to walk. It feels like there is something hard in there, with spikes! It hurts so bad still . . All the time!! Has anyone else had this feeling??????

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Working on four months out now. 2 manipulation sand your still having trouble. That scares me. I am 6 months out and getting ready to have my first manipulation. The TKR is metal and plastic you shouldn't feel anything spikes or otherwise I would think. You might consider seeing another doctor. My surgeon tells me it's nothing more than a hinge anymore. There is no ACL, no maniscus, arthritic material just metal and plastic. A simple X-ray should tell you more.

I wish you the best

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

Sorry I don't have more for you.

• Posted

Joy, where is the pain? And do you actually feel (with your hand) spikes?
    • Posted

I can't feel the spikie feeling with my hand, but it's a pain I feel mainly when I walk!! Right inside the knee??

• Posted

I have not experienced anything like this, so hopefully someone can understand what you are feeling and offer some sort of advice.
  • Posted

I was serching the net hoping to find some answers to my pain issue. I came across your question. I had a full knee replacement in march as well. I had a manipulation done mid June. I am in constant pain as well. That's why it's 2:47am, I can't sleep. There is a spot by my knee that feels like glass is in there. I'm wondering if it's nerve damage. I go back to the surgeon July 20th. I go to physio twice a week chiropractic once a week and massage therapy once a week. This is taking a tool on my physici. Good luck to you.

• Posted

I so understand your pain, and that feeling of sharp pain. I keep wondering if it's bad scar tissue?! Please let me know what your surgeon says about it. This whole journey has taken a toll on my whole body, mind and soul?? . Is there anything specific you do for the pain??

• Posted

I had my TKR/TKA in 2014. Karolinska University Hospital, Orthopedic Center, Stockholm.  I hit the jackpot - Post operative infection. Two 'deep cleanings' or debridements in Sweden one here in Bangkok, Thailand where I live. The surgeons here want to do the 'gold-standard'. Take out the infected plant. Clean up again.  Put a antibiotic 'spacer' 30 days with IV  heavy duty antibiotics. Remove the 'spacer' Slam in a new inplant. Two months recovery.  But  no guarantee of infection free future. So, now I am hopping along with forearm crutches. Great when I need  priority parking. Just kidding. Pain? Yes. Mornings worst. (25-50 mg of Tramadol daily. Oxycodon, OxyContin is better but not allowed by the Thai FDA. Swelling? Yes. Stiffness? Yes. 35-40 degrees of flexion (bending) Downstairs always hopping. Upstairs easy with handrails. Walking  300-500 meters max!  Infection? Yes. Yellow, non-smelling pus oozing out from the sinus on the lateral side on my right knee. Change of bandages twice daily.  I am 67 years old. I still enjoy my work and I am not ready to go through another 'big'  TKR operation - rehabilitation - yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.