Knee replacement recovery

Posted , 12 users are following.

As with most of us here I have no previous experience of having a TKR. I don't honestly know if I am doing well or badly. It is exactly two weeks since my procedure and can get upstairs without support, carefully, and have about 80/85% bend in my knee. I can sleep for about 8 hours before pain, not extreme, wakes me and I have to get up. I can walk around my smallish garden several times with crutches quite comfortably. My knee is about 25% bigger due to swelling than my other knee and does feel fairly weak at the moment. Is all this normal, am I doing well or badly ? I only ask as I have no idea if my recovery is going well or not. Thank you to all who contribute, to my question or others. Together we are better informed and stronger with the support of each other. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds good!

☺Everyone is different but we all find it hard!

I am six months down the line and it was completely worth it.

I have my life back!

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It was written to convey the need for patience, something our culture in the western world is not really geared up to! It has a lot of useful suggestions and information. Good for dipping in and out of!

Blessings to you for your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you so much jenny I will read the journal. I really do need to learn to be a patient patient. Thank you also for your kind wishes. 
  • Posted

From past experience I think you are doing extremely well, hope my next TKR goes as well as yours smile Hope you go from strength to strength, dont forget to and ice to help the swelling go down and do the exercises it will help increase the bend smile Have you had much physio?
    • Posted

Hi lighterson. I had one quick check over after I fell down three steps on the stairs. My first proper session of physio is tomorrow afternoon. Ice is my best friend at the moment. I have about 80/85% bend on my knee at the moment if I really try. Thank you for your kind wishes also. 
  • Posted

Sounds like you're doing rather well. 😊 On my first TKR I was kind of where you are now but the second one at two weeks I was still miserable but getting around. As you read all of these posts you will realize that every circumstance is different everyone is unique. The most important thing is that you are progressing and that you feel good about where you're at , holding on to that positive attitude, and realizing that some days will be better than others. It is definitely a journey. Keep up the good work and let us know how you're doing!

• Posted

Thanks mommermom. I thrive on progress but do get very despondent if things don't go so well. I guess I will have to learn to take the rough with the smooth. I will keep you up to date. 

• Posted

It sounds like you are doing extremely well. Don't forget to ice and elevate your knee. J21370

• Posted

Every recovery is different , there is no normal recovery . You appear to be doing very well , especially 8 hours sleep . Don't worry if things slow down , there lots on here who have had ups and downs . We nearly all get there in the end . 

• Posted

Brilliant!!! 8 hrs sleep at 2 weeks, up the stairs, walking round the garden, words fail me.  I'm sure there will be ups and downs in the weeks to come but you have made an excellent start. Well Done!!!

jackie.

• Posted

I'm at the same stage as you and like you have no idea if what I'm doing is right. I've done a few walks outside up to a mile maybe slightly more. The first time I I did it at end of wk 1 experienced a bit more swelling so I toned it back a bit (especially after lots of comments on here that I was doing too much too soon!) I've learned it's important to push but not too far or you go back. 8 hrs sleep is my dream! You are doing well! 

• Posted

and a 1 mile walk is my dream Pibpaula. How about me swapping some of my sleep for a little of your walking lol Good luck with your recovery.
  • Posted

With what you've said, you are doing better than most...but it's all individual.  One HUGE rule...never compare your recovery to that of anyone else.  There are no rules here...everyone is different.  Lose all expectations and comparisons...they get in the way of your recovery by screwing with your head.  Let them go.  You will have advances, setbacks and plateaus...the worst.  You may be having all this "success" because the meds might be masking the true pain.  And you have to wait until you go through PT to break down the scar tissue that's forming.  Be patient...this is a long road and you've just started.

• Posted

Compared to me I think you're doing really well. I haven't had more than 2 hours  sleep at once since I had my operation 2 weeks ago.  Leg has so much pain at night, even though I'm on morphine, that I have to get up and walk around and stretch. Bend not good either and swelling can be painful if I've been on my feet too long. As others have said we're all different. Good luck with your recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.