Knee Replacement Recovery and coping with sciatica

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hi all. I had a TKR op 3 weeks ago. Before the op, I suffered from sciatica attacks down the left side brought on by spondylosis in the lower lumbar area. The attacks just happened to be the same side as the leg to be operated on!. Since the op, I've had some pain with sciatica mainly affecting the left hip/top of buttock area. Consultants couldn't answer my questions pre-op about how the sciatica could be dealt with during my recovery. Once the knee has mended I guess I'll have to resort to amitriptyline which is what I was on before the knee op to try and ease the sciatica pain, though it didn't work! Anybody else having this problem. Coping with the post-op knee pain is bad enough but the thought of having to cope with sciatica attacks too is rather daunting. Help!

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

In the US I take a drug called gabapenton that takes away the sciatic nerve pain. The max dose is 3000 MGs a day. But it makes me so sleepy that I primarily take it at night.  It has made the sciatic nerve pain almost non existent for me.  There must be an equivalent medication in the U.K.
    • Posted

Not real sure about the 3000 limit as I know a diabetic who is on 3600. Unfortunately its beginMing to lose its power. Lyria is an extended release upgrade but insurance companies hate it because of the cost. I'm on gabepentin (300 mg 3x's daily) but expect my pain management Dr to jump it next time I see him. Its one drug I've had no side effects by my brother in law had stomach issues.

• Posted

I am 12 days out of TKR and when I woke up from surgery the sciatica was already on fire. Before surgery I never had an issue with it. I'm an avid runner, biker, swimmer and walker. I feel as if my progress has been limited by this pain. All advice is appreciated.

• Posted

I am nearly 9 months out of TKR.  Had a bit of sciatica when I did vacuuming that lasted maybe a day or so.  I woke up from surgery with excruciating pain on my left side (surgery side) and could not sit for any length of time for 6 months. I am still on 2700 mg of Gabbipentin a day and Percocet every 4 to 6 hours.  My knee is hot, swollen and painful. Dr's  don't seem to have any suggestions, but that maybe I am allergic to the glue or plastic used in my Titanium replacement. (I am allergic to Nickel). I have had an injection that did not work.  I was hoping someone might have the reason or the solution to all of this. Possible damage from the epidural or maybe the manipulation? Wish I would have kept the old knee!

• Posted

Eventually I had to have a decompression surgery to relieve the severe pain. The Dr's couldn't pinpoint the exact reason but attributed being in the car too much as I had traveled for a living for many years and then added to that poor posture, limping after my original tor and poor habits when it came to lifting. That surgery was the greatest pain relief I've ever had for anything.

• Posted

I am 3 weeks out of TKR, I woke up out of surgery with excruciating pain from my butt to my foot. I told them in recovery but they said that's impossible because I had a spinal block. They then said to wiggle my toes if I could feel that pain, I wiggled my toes. They couldn't believe it, I shouldn't of been able to. 3 weeks later the siatic pain is worse than the knee pain. I believe it is putting me behind in my progress. My therapist is sending a note to my surgeon to let him know it needs to be addressed. I literally feel your pain. Before this surgery I was biking 50 miles + per week, walking 8-10 miles 2x a week, strength training and yoga. Now I just sit here wondering how I'm going to get through this. I will let you know what they come up with for a plan of action.

• Posted

I am with you there. I am almost 6 weeks post knee replacement and low back, down buttock and part of leg are killing me. It all started a couple weeks after surgery every time I try to get better extension. I had a pain injection last week at L5 with little relief. This is all on the same side. I stretch and do everything possible.
    • Posted

If it's one side and down your leg, you could be looking at sciatica.  Got it 10-weeks post-op.  Chiropractor found locked SI joints.  A few weeks later, fixed.

• Posted

I'm 4 weeks post TKR. I also have lumbar stenosis and apparently the accompanying sciatic nerve issues. Before surgery, pain stopped at my knee on the non-surgical leg. Now it goesfrom my lower back all the way to my big toe on the surgical legs. It really burns right after therapy. I caught a super bug during surgery and had to have a surgery to clean out the surgery area and they replaced the plastic spacer. Now I'm on 6 weeks IV antibiotics and any steroid of any kind is out of the question. I was hoping for some other type of help. Chiropractor is also out. Any ideas are appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.