Knee replacement scar

Posted , 6 users are following.

Had PKR seven weeks ago and have got Keloid scar at the middle of the knee upwards. Any idea what I can do to reduce this and stop it happening when I have surgery on the left knee

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Some peole are naturally prone to keloids, in which case it is rather hard to keep  them at bay.  On the other hand, apart from bio oil there are scar specific creams on the market that you can massage into the scar. Whilst doing the massaging it might be a good idea to bend/stretch your knee as inaction can cause the scar to thicken. Dont forget there is scarring under the skin as well. If you google how to heal a keloid, it should lead to the "Wikihow" page.  Avoid clicking on the numerous ads though.  Good luck
    • Posted

You are most welcome. Just remember not to swim until the joint is strong enough otherwise you will just create more pain
    • Posted

Vit E oil is also very good as it penetrates the tissue, absorbs and heals. I've used it on each of the 5 rehads I've gone through. As the same incision has been followed every time it has had to be extended to a little more than 12" but the news areas look pretty good.
  • Posted

The scar will naturally fade, I have a girl friend who has had both knees replaced. She used bio oil and massaged her knees every day. Her scars are minimal now, just light lines across her knees.

Blee83

• Posted

I've been using Bio Oil. But unfortunately I've been told that short of cosmetic surgery nothing can be done for keloids. If you are prone to keloid this will be an issue for you from now on. A lot of African Americans suffer from this problem. You can always seek medical advice. Try to keep it moisturerized. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.