Knee Replacement Surgery.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have suffered from knee arthritus for several yers but it is steadily getting worse and a few days ago my knee became much worse and I can now only walk a short disatnce with a walking stick.

I know that I will need a knee replacement at some point but I am very worried about this and I would love to hear from anyone who lives in the Birmingham Solihul area who has had a replacement and could recommend their surgeon.

I have spent hours trawling through the internet to find out more information about knee replacement surgery and the outcomes  but I would love to hear from someone who lives in the West Midlands area who who been through this operation.

I have tried steroid injections but they are becoming less effective now.

Any feedback would be valuable.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine, i live in solihull area and I had my TKR at solihull hospital on 7Aug my surgeon war mr Mansoor. I have nothing but praise for his work, mr Lawrence who operates throughout the area and at Damson parway has an excellent name. But also a long waiting list. Wards 14/15/and16 who look after you at solihull hospital are also excellent. I am now 13weeks and just about turning the corner. The pysio which I had was at heartland was also good. You will be asked to 
    • Posted

Hi Tucks, thanks for your feed back. Glad to hear that you are doing well after your operation. What stage are you at at 13 weeks? I was a patient in Ward 15 in 2008 when I had a hip replacement and I was pleased with my treatment but now I am looking at a knne replacement.

I have heard a lot about Mr Lawrence and know that he has a very good reputation. I thought that he mainly operated on hips though. Does he do many knee replacements.

• Posted

Sorry I pressed wrong button, you will be asked to go to joint school also where they will show you the new knees ect. Be prepared for a hard ride and lots of tears which no one tells you about. I'm sure you would be happy with mr Mansoors skills he made a good job on my knee. I wish you well with your op Christine any further info just ask away from tucks.
  • Posted

Hi, I'm in the US and one of the rare one's here working to save myself from knee surgery and I'm 76.....my right started to creek and crack at 57, so I've gotten this far and knee is all worse since hip replacement in 2010....body alignment all messed up.

Anyway, I've decided to be faithful with glucosomine daily, and it can take 8-12 weeks to take hold in the joints, 1500mg per day.....I had my doubts about glucosamine for years but hearing from others, decided to be faithful with it....

Plus, on a ligament/tendon supplement now about 2 months and believe it's helping....this supplement contains manganese which is needed for bone health and which is found to be very low in our bodies....

I wear a knee support and use topicals but as I said, I'm a rare one here who wants to save myself from a surgery.....joy 

• Posted

Hi chris

I to had bad knees for 12 or more years, had steroid jabs both knees till they made no difference then still waited another year frightend of what would happen if I had my first knee changed but the pain was so bad and my quality of life took a nose dive, but now I have just had 1st one replaced nov 5th and it was not as bad as I thought it would be the sospital team were great and I asked the aniethatist to give me extre juice in my arm after the spine injection and I didn't wake up till it was all done, it was great and post opp team at the royal derby were fantastic physio team were good too, one came to the house twice to check my progress, my sergeon was a mr lewis he even straightened my bow leg too☺only got 1 banana leg now.

the pain was quite bad but took lots of pain releif and forced my leg to bend and straighten a bit each day but it was always back to the same place ( slight movement ) every morning but after a week it moves further now so its getting better and swellings going a bit too.pain killers make me ill, dizzy sick etc but they do the job.

If you can possibly travel to Derby royal hospital, consultant Mr

lewis is your man he's a genius, he will be doing the other knee in a few months, dont let the pain drag you down, im glad I went, and im not using crutches now just limping round the house winding the wife up, ha ha, good luck with your new leg. Paul

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.