Knee replacement surgery 8 days out

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi all,

I am a 48 male that had a total knee replacement on right knee 8 days ago. I can not lift my right leg, very limited rom, very painful at night, always very stiff. I went to see doctor he said there is a lot of fluid in knee but looks good. Told me to rest and elevate knee. I have a lot of old scar tissue in this knee as well. Everyone says it will get better. Can't sleep can't walk can't do anything without pain. Anyone else with same problems

1 like, 100 replies

100 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are very very early. I'm sorry to say but what you are feeling is all normal. I'm 9 weeks po and remember where you are. It is a tough surgery. Take your meds on a schedule. Don't wait for the pain because it is hard to get control of it. Ice often. Elevate. And most importantly rest rest rest. Sleep I think is one of the worse things about this surgery. I'm still plagued with sleepless nights. I have read that the pain meds hinder sleep. Great! I've been off oxycodone for almost 2 weeks now. I still have issues with sleeping. I have gone past the major pain part. Now I'm feeling mostly the restless leg thing. And stay on here. I've had days of feeling terrible and said I just can't do this. I got on here and there are so many encouraging people on here. We are all in the same boat. Try to remain positive. I no sometimes it is hard. But it really does get better. There are so many awesome people here that brought me though some pretty sad times. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you so very much for taking the time to talk to me. It is so true take pain meds when scheduled as I have learned the hard way. Very hard to play catch up with pain. Yes sleep is very hard maybe one or two hours at a time. Also very hard to go through this alone as I am. Again thank you. Good luck to you keep me posted on progress

• Posted

Sorry to say you fit the post op mold perfectly. Continue to excercise without putting yourself in extreme pain. Take your pain meds as prescribed. Don't wait for pain to really set in. Ice as often as you wish, just dont apply any type plastic bags with ice directly to skin. Always cover with a towel or pillow case. Iced plastic will burn the skin. Patience will be your biggest asset. Don't start measuring results until 6 weeks or you will just get frustrated. You will hear this often on this forum.....this is a marathon not a sprint. Once surgeons operate and relay you off to the therapists you find you need to talk to your primary care Dr. for pain control unless you have an exceptional surgeon. Somehow the medical profession makes this surgery seem like a walk in the park when it's more like crawling through a pit filled with live embers. You will slowly start pulling back and reality will resurface. A few weeks from now you will start to realized the old bone on bone pain is gone. One other top......pain meds dry you up and slow down the digestive process. Drink large amounts of water and keep colase on hand for early offset of constipation. Lots of little things will come up as you go down the path.....everyone on here is familiar with one or more of your concerns and can offer a tip or two to make things a little easier. You are entering a process that just can't be short circuited. BTW...you're talking to a guy that's been through 11 surgeries and 5 complete rehabs on the same leg.
    • Posted

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I read things here and there and I feel I am behind in my progress then I think it's has been 8 days. I was only in hospital for less the 16 hours so I thought I was doing great because they said I could go home. I use ice all the time elevated all the time up and move around every 30 to 45 mins, just gets so stiff and the swelling. I was told I have a lot of old scar tissue that can also be a issue.any words of wisdom for the stiffness?

This is my fourth surgery on this knee

Thanks

• Posted

Just stay with the program till the swelling starts to subside and the stiffness will go at the same pace. It wont happen quickly but will happen. This time last year I was hobbling around on a walker with the leg immobilized (total of 5 months) and a plastic spacer in place of the prosthesis. I had 4 months without a knee due to staph infection (2nd go round) then the 3rd prosthesis. I had to wait that 5th month of immobilization to allow extra healing. By the time the immobilizer was off I was probably no more the 20° on the bend and 1 on straight. Within the 2nd month i was 90 then it slowed. I am 11 months and 117 which is about it. Still have considerable pain. Most people are told they will be a year before they own the knee......I was told 2 and that I would be on some level of prescription pain meds the rest of my life. On additional thing, I was 65 when all this started (a rare tumor) and I'm now 79. BTW....I'm in the US. You will find this site is very global and people will be checking in with info at all hours of the day and night so if you wake up and need so encouragement, someone is around to help.
    • Posted

Good morning how was your night. Mine was on and off. Still very sore and stiff takes me awhile to get up and about. I made decision to stick to a strick medication time table. So every four hours pain meds until no more pain. It is very depressing knowing I may have caused all this pain. This forum has been great as this is now my only real means of support. Hope to hear from you
    • Posted

Hi Tom I learned the hard was also in regards to pain. I don't no if I was afraid of becoming addicted or the fact that if I took them they way they say too I would run out. probably both. Once I did start taking them on a schedule things were better. I don't no if I was ever completely out of pain but I managed through it. And as for the nights. Augh! Why does the pain always get worse at night. Come 7 pm it would start. But not sure how I got through the worst of it. Now pain is mostly managible. Still aches at night. And if I over did it during the day. I gave up trying to figure that one out! The over doing. We're you given exercises to do at home? Many have given me suggestions on here and I'm sure they are part of the reasons I'm am finally in a better place. Take care
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to send your response. What you say is so true. I am now afraid I will run out of meds before pain goes away. I am getting so depressed with the lack of improvement the pain the swelling the stiffness. Everyone says it takes time to take it easy. If I take it easy it really gets tight and stiff then the pain, if I excerise its painful

Then you are chasing pain, meds take a while to kick in, then they really don't last . Sorry I am rambling I need a better place

• Posted

You need to take your meds about a hr before you exercise. And ice afterwards. Ice it and elevate often through out the day. A week after I had my tkr my mom who was my best friend passed away. I was devastated. And went into this depression. It was awful. I cried so much. That is when I found this. Every one on here will tell you depression is all part of it. We have all gone from being totally independent to this.
    • Posted

So sorry for your loss I am very close to my mum, I'm not surprised you went into depression and having to cope with a tkr on top, my thoughts are with you.
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear of your mom's passing. Losing someone close is very difficult. It is especially hard at a time of vulnerability such as knee replacement surgery.

Sending prayers of strength and comfort to you tonight.💗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.