Knee replacement wen young at 41

Posted , 9 users are following.

After years of failed surgery on my knee had tkr 4 weeks ago told I'm quite young at 41 just wondering if anyone close to my age and how your getting on and Wat helps you in recovery 👍

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

At 42 my knees were so bad, bit they refused to do a TKR because I was too young. Had various surgery and now at 46 I'm 3 weeks post op from a partial knee replacement. Surgeon didn't know whether it would be a total until he opened it up. Wanted to avoid at all costs so successfully carried out the partial. It now depends on how quickly the rest of the knee deteriorates as to when I will need a total. Also need the other knee doing. Hoping can get away with partial again!

I'm doing ok. Bend at 90 degrees although straighting not as good. At -10 degrees.

How are you doing?

Really interested to hear of someone so young having TKR. Hope all is going well.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice I'm getting the bend to 97 but can't fully straighten it sleeping has been a little difficult but feel like I'm slowly getting better they said to me there is no other option than a tkr so didn't have much choice other than just leave it and deal with pain without this group I've been in the dark a little getting good feed back hope your recovery goes well

• Posted

At 4 weeks getting to 97 is fantastic. I was told that bending is harder with a TKR, so that is brilliant. I'm not at that with a partial.

I find straightening very painful, but continuing with exercises. My knee wasn't straight before op though, so maybe this will take longer.

Hope your recovery continues to go well.

• Posted

Mine wasn't straight before surgery either but physio said we have to try and get there but straighten it is very painful was slowly coming of the pain killers but might stay on them a bit longer good luck to you

• Posted

Mine wasn't straight before the op and that's why I used to limp quite badly, you end up with one leg shorter than the other because it's bent and you have no cartilage between the bones. Since the op it's straight and I'm very happy with it......just got to keep working on the bend 😃

• Posted

Hi Matthew. I had a TKR at age of 42. This was 15 weeks ago. I’ve found recovering difficult as I’ve had over 20 previous ops on this knee. I’ve found out that no two knees are the same with respect to recovery. 

I could straighten from day one but it took about 9 weeks to get to 90. I’m progressing slowly. Do all the exercises they recommend, however, also listen to knee and rest when you need to. I didn’t realise how much they do to knee and this will take time to settle. 

Good luck 

• Posted

Hi Victoria thanks for advice I feel better wen I'm walking it's quite sore wen I'm sat down I'm keeping up with my exersises first few weeks were hard pain was quite bad but think I'm slowly getting there just started to sleep ok now as well good luck with your recovery 👍

• Posted

Hi

I'm 47 and I also have had several operations on my knee, my local hospital wouldn't give me a TKR because of my age, but managed to find a brilliant surgeon in a private hospital who did it under the nhs. I'm 6 weeks post op and am straightening fine but my bend is 45 , just got to get through the pain and stiffness , had some brilliant advice from people on here .

• Posted

Hi Matthew I was in my mid 30s when I had an arthroscopy and was told I needed a knee replacement but because of my age they didn't want to do it.......I didn't want them to do it either. I lasted until I was 47 and I'm now 5 months post TKR. Ive been told if you look after it it should last 20+ years and then a revision can be done I'm confident that the future looks ok. Technology is improving all the time and I'm sure in the future there will be something else that can be done to keep me mobile.

I keep up my exercises everyday and I find drugs help 😂

• Posted

was 45 for knee replacement. now nearly 56 waiting on 5th replacement on left leg. right leg pt replacement 10 yr ago
  • Posted

Regardless of age, you have to first survive the 30-days of pain (get really, really good meds) and do PT to break down the forming scar tissue.  That should take 10 weeks or so; you'll then be at 3 months and past the worst of the pain.

This will help with the ROM...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

...once you are doing well with your ROM, it will be time to rebuild your dead quads, glutes and core...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

...once you have the strength back, you can do stairs again...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

The whole thing takes a year.  Don't think that your age will allow you to do this any sooner...YOU CANNOT PUSH A KNEE to recovery...it will only swell up and set you back.  Yes, there are a few lucky people who skate on through, just as there are those that take 2 years to recover. Those are the two extreme tails of the standard "bell curve".  95% of us fall in the middle.  Accept it.  OWN IT!!!

Click my name and then "See All Discussions" for a lot more topics that can help. 

• Posted

hj have spoken tk you mang times before i think berween us we could write a journal been through so much i expect 5th tkr in april fingers x this time.hope things well with you
    • Posted

Been an interesting 2 years...March 10th for the knee.  In the meantime, I needed a spinal fusion, wrist surgery and a spinal laminectomy (a month ago).  Really, really want to get back to the gym to finish getting all my strength back.  Starting with some easy yoga.  Has not been easy.  Will be 70 next week, still working full time in IT as a Sr. Process Architect and trying to put a new band together.  Been off the stage waaaaay too long.  The computers are my left brain and The Blues is the right side.  Gotta have balance in life.  Yes...a book..."To Hell and Back: The TKR Journey".  No one would believe it...they'd put it in the Fiction section...

• Posted

I'm 49....but my surgeon said even if waited a few years, I'd still be a young woman having a TKR....im 25 days post op now.....bend is 86% .....straight went from-8 to -2 now....i have strong quads as I worked v hard in the gym pre op despite my awful knee....my friends help me by visiting and keeping me upbeat and taking me out so i dont go stir crazy... I'm trying to keep a positive attitude too....ice/ elevate/ execises about 45 mins twice a day/ pain meds.....im seeing this as healing pain as compared to the pain i endured before .....just be kind to yourself but follow your plan....I find I'm not getting enough sleep still though.......

• Posted

I was in my 40’s when I had both my TKR’s. I was given the ‘super deluxe models’ as they had to last me longer than the average person having a TKR. They have not been totally successful but then the surgeon said that he had never seen knees as bad as mine. I was a gymnast so my knees were probably abused more than the average person!

Now after just 12yrs I am waiting to have my right knee replaced again and have been told that I may be worse off than I am at the moment. It is a chance I have to take as my current pain level is astronomical.

After I had my left knee replaced by GP gave me some magnetic massage balls which I used all the time and really helped with my recovery. I don’t know if you Can source as set but they really helped me.

Good luck

XX

• Posted

Thank you will try and see if I can get some magnets does it not feel weird on your knees hope your next one goes well good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.