Knee Replacement with Lateral release

Posted , 6 users are following.

1 am 10 weeks post surgery, from a Bi Compartmental Mako plasty knee replacement with lateral release.  The problems with this surgery are too numerous to count. I have gained 120 bend and almost completely straight.  However, the swelling is still HORRIBLE, and hurts. I saw my surgeon yesterday.  He said I may still be bleeding from the lateral release and took me off all anti-inflammitory drugs and Advil, told me to strictly take my Percoset 7.5mg.  Okay I'm scared to death of being addicted to these things, and I've tried getting off them and the pain will not let me.  I thought something might have gone wrong but he assures me it's okay, it's just a time issue.  I called another surgeon yesterday and they won't see me until, minimum, 6 months post surgery.  So am I being overly worried here or am I is this Dr a quack and I need to seriously see another doctor NOW....please any advice would be helpful

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You didn't say if you were using ice.I have one of the ice/water pumps and it really helps with swelling. 

• Posted

Yes my iceman is my best friend!! I am just frustrated because this was explained to me in a totally different way than it turned out.  I was told 2 weeks and I would be back up and going and none of that happened.  I think I was just really not mentally ready to do this. 
    • Posted

I still have swelling and I only take a 5 mgvicodin at night. Maybe you can try knocking off the pain killers in the day time. I am at 6 weeks post op and went back to my job teaching high school two days ago but last week, I was so frustrated about not sleeping  that I was actually crying while my wife held me. I don't remember the last time I cried.

I hope you have the turn around soon that I had this week.   

• Posted

The dr took me off all other medications except percoset. He said they were contributing to the swelling from the lateral release.  I'm not sure I agree with him but I'll do what he says and see if it helps. As far ar crying, I feel you, I have shed more tears over this surgery than any other I have had. This is not for the faint of heart, it hurts like a bitch.

• Posted

Stay with it. Its not a quick fix. Issues resolve over time as many of us find out. Take it easy 😊..good luck.

• Posted

Hi Joanna,

?Try not to fret .... as surgery goes, anything in the knee is pretty close to butchery as you'll ever get, and depending on the individual quite traumatic. Have you hear about RICE therapy - Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation, do it as often as you can, for me the best results came from Ice and Elevation - and try not to go galloping around the house doing household chores or shopping if you are into retail therapy - Rest is also important. Once this is sorted you'll have time enough for chores and retail therapy. Remember, you've been butchered - you'll take time to mend.

May the force be with you.

John

?John

• Posted

Yes I have done Ice and Elevation. Compression NO, the Dr does not want that right now.  I have a desk job and I evevate it here and at home.  But if I don't stretch it and keep it moving it's stiff as hell.  I don't want that scar tissue getting so heavy it's going to make me cry to break it up. This is the 4th surgery on this knee starting in High School.  I played softball in college and I damaged it further, so rehab isn't a new thing for me it's just a new thing for me with a replacement.  I'm learning that it's a different kind of rehab than a 'fix" surgery.  Patience is not my strong suit, although I'm trying.  Thank you for your feedback!!!

• Posted

Stop worrying - you are unlikely to become addicted as long as you need the medication for pain. It is when it is not being used up to occupy the pain receptors that there is some left over to become addictive by creating the high.  You will be able to wean off because the pain is resolving and not before...
  • Posted

While you still need the drugs for the pain, it seems to me you should keep taking them.  when the time comes to stop taking them, you will need to do it VERY gradually, cutting down first on the amount, and then on the frequency.  it will take a while, but believe me it is better than the 'cold turkey' approach, which is both dangerous and very very unpleasant. (I know, because I ran out of tablets on  a Friday, and couldn't get to doctor to get a repeat prescription until the tuesday . . . ) Ten weeks is comparatively early weven when everything goes well,  . . I think I started weaning myself off tramadol at about twelve weeks.  Don't suffer unnecessary pain!  There's more than enough of unavoidable pain with this op . . . 

• Posted

In the UK and most of Europe if you run out of tablets at the weekend you can ask a pharmacy - the advantage of having a regular pharmacy you go to where the pharmacist knows you - or call 111 and explain the problem. It is a bit different with classified drugs but as for them too it is not advisable to stop suddenly it is usually possible to get one or two tablets or an emergency prescription issued.
    • Posted

Tramadol does nothing for me, so they don't give it to me. I'm on Persoset right now and I take two a day,  I stay off my leg as much as possible, but life is happening and I have a living to make.  I have a desk job, and I evelate it at work so hopefully this is just a time issue and it's going to get better soon, thanks for the feedback. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.