Knee replacements

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I had 4th tkr to left leg end october.i am still struggling,i cant lead upstairsvon operated leg as i dont have the strength.has anyone else had this. I had 1 tkr to right leg and need right hip replacing too.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

You could do some step ups on the botton step to build up muscles. I was like that and started by leading 2-3 steps and then building up. But I did a lot of step ups and also sit to stand exercises. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Have you tried going upstairs backwards on your backside?  You feel stable, you are using the right muscles to lift yourself up to the next step. What meds are you taking
    • Posted

Ooohhhh nooooo I havent my balance nit great ascam partially deaf.need to be able to overcome this as righht hip needs replacing and right knee will need revision sometjime
  • Posted

Hi April,

Oh my! Your 4th tkr!!!! I you poor thing.  I can only assume it went wrong more than once.  Your poor knee and system must be really depleted of energy.  Tkr just once is hard enough to get over.  The hospital should have advised you better and looked after you until you had the strength to manage stairs.  I feel really bad for you.  I had bilateral tkr's  in October and live up 14 steps.  It was quite difficult and even now, nearly 6 months later, I'm a bit apprehensive of walking down the steps and tend to do it one at a time.  

Time does help everything but you should be doing better than you are managing.  I don't know what to advise other than see your surgeon or go and get some kind of rehab so you do build up the strength.  I feel for you, I really do and hope it gets sorted soon.

best wishes and positive thoughts are sent your way.

suz xx

• Posted

Thank you so much I dont know how u coped either lol.i am still having physio at hospital. Dometimes its nice to discuss it with pple who had it done aldo. How old are u .I 53 had first knee at 45
    • Posted

Hi again,

i was 58 when I had my bilateral tkr's done.   I needed the operation around 4 yrs before that but here in Australia, they won't do it if they deem you too young.  I've heard that they last up to 15 yrs these days and they will do the op a second time over here but that's it.  I'm talking about free operations.  I suppose if you pay you can get it done whenever.  I'm grateful I didnt have to pay anything.  I'm ashamed to say, I'm not making the most of my new knees.  I suffer from depression and don't leave my home much at all so not much walking but a lot of sitting.  It's no wonder my poor knees get stiff and sore.  They're not like they were before the op, thank goodness.

this forum has been great to read.  It reassures me that I'm one of the lucky ones with no real complaints about the operation.  I feel for you and others that suffer all sorts.  My knees are still quite numb to touch, nerve damage I'm told and I'll never get the feeling back but that's ok.  I do wonder though, why I get pain some nights that wakes me and other nights doesn't.  It's a throbbing, stabbing pain in just one of my knees.  I find a pillow underneath helps but I'm told I shouldn't be using one.  I think we have to do what works for us.  Oh and I'm very overweight from lack of exercise and rubbish eating habits.  I know what I have to do but just don't have the inclination.   Everything is an effort.

Anyway, that's enough of my whinging lol.  I'm glad you're a positive person.  You'll do really well I'm sure.

Suz xx

• Posted

Ooh thanjs sue

Perhsos we coukdvtry lising weight tigether?

• Posted

I found losing weight really helped with walking and climbing - so not sure if after 4 TKRs you might be above average as it makes us less active - even a few lbs makes a difference - just a thought - don't know how I would have coped with 4 TKRs on one leg - it is bound to slow things down but as is so often said - time is a healer. It could also be habit and confidence - worrying about falling etc. Hope things get better soon . 
    • Posted

Thanks caroline

I am a very positive person so dont worry in that way. could do with losing few lbs tho.how did u do it? Hows ur knee

• Posted

hi april

am i right when i look at your post that you have had 4 tkrs on one leg ??? im  asking as i have had a revision on my knee nearly 2 yrs ago and was told that it you cant have anymore if it does not end up the way i want it .   where are you from ??

• Posted

plus after my revision my leg was very weak my muscles were shot it took along time to build up the muscles i went for a rehab in a gym they put a program together for me and i took it at my pace it helped so much they got me doing step ups at first i could ony do them holding on but very soon i was able to do alot more you probably need more than just the excersises from the hospital .

also can i ask why so many tkr ??

• Posted

Hi linda

Yes ur right four in one leg .mechanical failure.last one bone near stem had moved n in danger of breaking through skin.its always been my bad leg snd been weak about 8^9 yrs.

So fed up leg stiffens n hurts behind knee.got physio tomoz been doing loads step ups but cant lead with this leg upstairs.still off work too.how u doing

• Posted

oh you really are having a hard time of it .mine was a result of surgeon breaking my shin bone during the op 3yrs ago i was having a bi lateral (both). the other knee was fine ,but 3mths later cement broke off and i had to get it opened up again to clean it out ,but it never was right i had no bend and in constent pain .so i had a revision im doing ok but like you it was very hard to strenghten the leg, your leg has to be so weak after all these ops your hamstrings are probably very tight too so if you could get the physio to do some work on them ..

im stunned that you have had 4 in one leg how long apart were the ops   ?? and are you in uk? here in ireland they told me thats it you cant get it done again !! must say that scared me .as mine is still hurting not nearly as bad as before but my bend is under 100 and not fully straight so im living with it but i can never forget that its there if you know what i mean i would just love to have one day that i dont think about my leg .im nearly 59 i was 55 for my first bi lateral

• Posted

Hi linda

So nice to chat to someone who understands. My bend 90.but alwsys feel like I have small child hanging on to my leg some call it log leg! Was 45 first knee am 53 now.yes am in uk. R u at work how u cope.

Knees done

2008 was right knee all others left

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.