Knee resurfacing

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm due to have my right knee resurfaced in 6 weeks time.  From what I understand this is pretty much the same as a replacement except I will keep my ligaments and it is often used on younger people as they can be more active afterwards.

?I've been reading up on recovery times and am getting quite confused.  When my husband has his knee replaced a few years ago he was repeatedly told to exercise it every day after the op, even if there was pain, or otherwise scar tissue would set in and he would be unable to ever bend it properly again.  He followed this advice and has had a very successful outcome.

?However I am now reading that you should not exercise through pain but stop and rest, elevate and ice the leg.  Not sure which way to go as I obviously want a successful outcome too.

?Does anyone have recent experience of successful recovery from knee replacement/resurfacing?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Mary I have had a total knee resurfacing 6 weeks ago ..they take the kneecap off and resurface the areas needed .

The first few weeks are difficult due to swelling and bruising but as well as keeping your pain under control you do need to do your exercises every day , rest/ elevate the leg and ice ...each day it gets easier...are you in UK ?

• Posted

Hi Pennypops,

?Thanks for your reply.  Yes I'm in UK.  I'm due to have it done in Southampton by Professor David Barrett, who is an expert in the procedure, so keeping my fingers crossed. Where did you have yousr done and how are you progressing?

• Posted

Hi Mary ....

Professor Barrett? did my procedure at spire Southampton lol. It's a small world !!

He did my clean up in both knees 5 years ago also , he is excellent and I have full trust in him and the team ...they get you out of bed 5 hours after the operation with a walker ..was nice to get to the loo....I saw him today for my 6 weeks check up

• Posted

Lol,,,,,it certainly is a small world!  Did you have it done privately?  I've been referred to Spire through the NHS.  Professor Barrett is inspiring and I'm lucky to get him.  Do keep in touch, it will be good to compare our recovery.  I'm a keen Zumba participant and hoping I can get back to it fairly soon afterwards.  Are you still in pain?

• Posted

I had it done privately I have private health insurance..if you don't mind me asking how old are you ? I'm 55 ...not in a lot of pain now ..I have days when I don't take my pain relief..I walk with 1 crutch now..I have physiotherapy once per week and last week I went in the hydrotherapy pool which was fabulous I could really stretch out in it ....it's a different kind of pain anyhow..before the operation my knee hurt all the time and my thigh used to kill me due to the muscles shortened to protect the knee , I was limping around at work and home ..and yes I had to give up Zumba and swimming

• Posted

I'm 64 - older than you but fit and active.  My knee only hurts when I go for long walks with the dog, especially downhill or going down steps.  I have no problem with Zumba strangely enough, maybe because it's on a flat surface.  The X rays Professor Barrett took  show I'm bone on bone in two places though, so I think it's best to get in done now rather than later as recovery should be faster (I hope).  I've also started taking turmeric with black pepper capsules which have really helped with the pain too.  So have they told you to carry on doing the physio even when in pain?

• Posted

That's where the pain relief comes in ...only a few exercises at first and progressing slowly..your physiotherapist will advise...lots of icing and elevate the leg ... warning the leg will swell up loads and your calf will hurt and be bruised...this is normal...yes going downhill and coming down stairs was horrendous b4 the operation....you may want to get a few bits from red cross..I got a toilet seat raiser which really helped loads ...they will hire it to you for free, only requesting a donation...

• Posted

Thanks for all the information Pennypops.  I hope your recovery continues well and fast.
  • Posted

I had mine done 4-1/2 weeks ago.  They had me up the day of surgery walking to the rest room, on the cpm for 6 hours a day and started PT the next day and now have PT 3 times a week.  Some days quite a lot of swelling and so so tight.  Sleeping is still not ideal but every one assures me I am doing just fine but some days I wonder!  Just keep working at it and take your pain meds!
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Ellen.  Did you have resurfacing or replacement?
    • Posted

It was patellar femoral replacement so not a total knee replacement.  My surgeon told me that recovery would be much quicker but am now finding out it is very similar to a total replacement.  Asked him to go ahead and do the total when this was done but was told this would last 10+ years before I would need to have more done.  Sure wish he would have done it all now, in 10 years I will be 72 years old!
  • Posted

It's both which are important.. rest and exercising, and it takes a while to find a good balance.

For myself, For the first two weeks I was so exhausted that I was only able to do small amounts of exercise! Little but often is good. Just to keep it moving as much as you can.

Range of motion is more important than walking around a lot. They do say make sure you try and get up for a little bit each hour, to help avoid DV

T.

But I was not quite up to doing that, though I did all I could to keep moving even when in bed!

People have different opinions on how hard people should push themselves. I worked on the principle of persistence, but always worked up to the point of pain, i.e., to "ouch" but not past that. Good pain control is essential. The ice and elevating is vital because of the need to reduce the swelling as much as possible.

Hope your experience is good!

I am now seven months post op and its just great! Well worth the effort. Hopefully you will have a good physio to help you with your rehabilitation.

• Posted

Many thanks for all the advice Jenny.. I hope mine is as successful as yours!
    • Posted

At least your husband will know what hard work it is!

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. I found the writing project very helpful indeed!

I notice chico marx has just posted an excellent link on rest! Well worth a read!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.