Knee Revision

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a TKR six years ago whilst living in Spain.

in addition to the knee I had rods inserted in my shin and thigh bones, for additional support I was told.

however it was far from successful and I am still in a lot of pain, since returning to the UK I have been offered a knee revision but I have done a lot of research into this operation and it appears very risky with many complications and may indeed make things worse

Has anyone out there had this operation, if so I would love to hear from you.

Two weeks ago today I had my other knee replaced which I think has been a success as I can already walk unaided 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am from the US but as far as revisions go I might be qualified considering this is the 6th replacement. Each time you get your knee operated on the chances of infection increase, the pain will increase as well as the recovery time. Sometimes for unknown reasons your replacement will fail the bad thing from what I have been told if the components are failing your knee will not get better on its own and will in fact get worse. I guess a good thing you will know what to expect. Any time you have surgery there is a risk much more so with a knee its a big operation. I was told if this was your very first surgery the odds of an infection are less than 1% the more times your knee gets operated on the percentage goes up. After my 4th revision I developed an infection if you think your miserable dealing with your first replacement add an infection and it just makes things worse. Now I am on # 6 and I am being treated for a mild infection even with a PICC Line and having to take an antibiotic ball 2X a day for 6 weeks and it takes 2 hours each time there are no guarantees that I will not have future issues. As long as the Dr. says you definitely need it and it will get worse if you dont then go for it but if it will cause not future issues then I would really think about it.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your reply, it certainly sounds as if you’ve been through the mill more than enough. I have a follow up with the consultant tomorrow, Monday so will hopefully discuss it with him then.

regards

Barrie

ps I am from LONDON and totally ashamed of the reception in some cases that your President has received in our country. Love him or hate him he should be treated with all due respect. Apologies.

• Posted

I agree with you however his visit with the Queen was not exactly the right thing to do either. The sad thing I voted for him.
  • Posted

It sounds as though you have a tough decision to make. Pain is an awful thing to live with. I do not know anyone who had a knee revision but I would suggest talking to the physician and asking questions.  Glad to hear that your last surgery was a success!

• Posted

hi many thanks for your reply.

i have my first follow up appointment with my consultant,tomorrow Monday so will take the opportunity to discuss it with him then.

regards

Barrie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.