Knee scooter thoughts & experiences?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm about 10 days post surgery for dislocation and ankle fractures (on crutches and NWB at the moment) and I considering hiring a knee scooter so just wondering what everyone thinks? Are they worth it?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You will need to sit a lot. Depending on the space you have to move about. The walker with the seat is an option.
  • Posted

I am 8 weeks on one, best thing ever, I go to the grocery and out to eat, and easy to manuveur so thumbs up from this 69 year old
  • Posted

Dump the crutches, get the scooter.  It's way easier to live more normally than with crutches.  You cannot carry anything when on crutches, unless you are in great physical shape and have a lot of upper body strength, you will feel insecure on crutches and you will tire easily.  I used the crutches for about 4 hours and that was more than enough.  On my way into my home after the surgery, I had to go up one step to get to my front porch, my husband was in front of me helping and I promptly did a face-plant into his chest.  He got me settled on our couch and immediately went to get me a scooter.  Bless him!!!  I felt the scooter helped me to follow the doctor's instructions (no weight on that ankle) while still having a somewhat normal life.  I did laundry (carried a laundry bag on the scooter), prepared my meals (when my husband was out of town), I even vacuumed!  I'll say it again . . . dump the crutches and get the scooter!

• Posted

I am almost two weeks post surgery for a broken ankle.  I got my knee scooter two days ago and it is so worth it.  I am able to get around the house and today went to a Charity Breakfast celebration with over 500 people.  I was able to get to a table, be seated and used the scooter to support my cast.  (I did have my husband with to make sure everything worked well).  It is so much easier than crutches.  My suggestions:   Make sure you have 2 handbrakes, parking break, and of course a BASKET!!  I will have this for the next 5 week of NWB.  So, I night recommend getting the scooter.  Good luck.  
  • Posted

They are totally worth it!!!

I had ankle fusion on august 30 and had to deal with crutches the first week after surgery and was nwb for 6 weeks.

I fell going into my house the day of surgery when I came home and my 77 and 79 year old parents couldn't help me up I had to crawl to my stairs to try to get up

Then I fell again a week later and cracked the back of my head on my end table

Then going to get the knee scooter I almost fell going into the pharmacy

It's been a great thing and still getting me through

I'm better with the crutches now that I am weight bearing

• Posted

Hell yes! Fantastic. Well worth the effort. Make sure it's a sturdy one and be careful. Was a godsend for me. Semi independence.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

one hundred and ten percent YES,best thing i ever used during my ankle fusion,takes no real practice just feels pretty comfy straight away,my only advice is to get some spongy material or something coz your knee will need it after a while,good luck
  • Posted

100%. I got mine on Amazon and used it for months. I know people who rented and spent a lot more money that buying one. If you need a recommendation, private message me.
    • Posted

By the way...a scooter is WAY cooler looking than a wheel chair or walker!
    • Posted

Great! How are you doing? Hopefully you are walking well now! 
    • Posted

Yes I can walk - like a cripple lol. My gut feeling was right. Baker's Cyst burst and I still wasn't right. Lawyer got an MRI and showed a very badly torn Meniscus Cartilage in that Knee

But no one is bothering to take surgeons advice and fix it.-. over 4 months since I did it. Can hardly bend of straighten.

Broken leg is getting stronger in bone. Still very porous. Hardware needs to be removed, but when bone is stronger. Leg rejecting plate etc.

Gut feeling was something not right compared to you all. Truth is neither leg can heal until they are both operated on. I have my days, but today is good!💪👣🚶🎶

@(*+*)@

• Posted

When do you think you will have surgery? My inner 3 ankle screws I definitely want out, in Jan or Feb, if I still feel stinging and am still thinking about the plate. I'm so sorry things have been going so slowly for you, due to these complications. I'm glad you are walking though!!

• Posted

It seems ankles have a time line of their own for healing, and there is no rushing them, and yours got majorly delayed unfortunately because of your Baker's cyst and resulting problems. Basically, I try to walk at least 5 miles throughout the day everyday now (I have a Fitbit that tracks this, but there are other ways to track it). I know we are 56, but that's still young, and we still have a ton of moving around ahead of us. My three grandbabies keep me very fit. I often walk 10 miles a day on the days I watch all of them. I noticed, when I was in bed with the flu last month for 5 days, that my ankle started hurting and acting up again, which was very weird. After getting back up on my feet for a few days, everything was fine again. It seems if you don't use it your definitately lose it! This ankle injury has taught me this, as well as so many valuable lessons about positivity, not giving up and fighting the fight with everything you have, the fact that there is always someone out there so much worse off than you, the power of support and information from others going through the same thing, and how human kindness surpasses all other differences we may have in the world. Stay well and keep moving forward Karyn! The holidays are coming!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.