Knee sensations

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I'm 13 weeks post op and when I kneel or get on hands and knees I feel like my operated knee is resting on a bed of blunted needles. Not so much agonising as uncomfortable and weird. Does anyone else have this sensation? How long till you experienced a desensitising of the area to normal levels?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jodi,

My 15 week old knee feels like yours so I do not kneel on it. My year old knee has been kneeling on a pillow or towel comfortably for about 6 months but I choose not to kneel often and never on a hard surface. Hope this helps.

Mary

• Posted

Hi Jody.......I was told by my surgeon never to lean on it. Once I kneeled on the matress to close the window and it hurt. 

• Posted

I would be very careful on the kneeling. Many docs absolutely forbid kneeling or at nest, using a soft pad. One of the potential problems is creating brusing and inflammation. Be sure and clear this with your surgeon so you don't create a huge back slide in your progress. Personally, I gave up kneeling years ago after a synovectomy and a year before the tkr
    • Posted

Perhaps the situation is different with tibial tubercle transfer (patella realignment) and lateral release.

My surgeon and my osteo are both saying small amounts of supported kneeling (hands and knees with cushioning) is fine, I'm not on any restrictions at all apart from the obvious of 'if it hurts really badly then don't do it'. My osteo is saying it will desensitise over time and not to worry too much. 

Being that this is my only real concern I guess I'm getting off pretty lightly. 

• Posted

I was told by my surgeon when I saw him at 7 weeks post op that my new knee was a type which would allow me to kneel on it .... so far I've only tried it on a firm cushion which seemed ok .... but I'd be wary of kneeling without your surgeons advice. 

• Posted

Thank you.

Yeah my surgeon is fine with it. I don't have to kneel often and a folded towel is usually cushion enough.

• Posted

Hi Jodi,

when my surgeon last saw me at 12 weeks he said kneeling is ok using a cushion or proper knee pads, but go slowly and stop if it causes pain. Desentisising of the nerves around the knee caused by surgery means you could kneel on something sharp and not even feel it.

Regards Paul

• Posted

Thank you.

It's either on a towel or when I'm at rehab it's a thick foam mat on all fours and then my osteo has me doing alternate leg extensions.

• Posted

The answer to that question Jodi as it takes time, and in any event do not be tempted to kneel directly onto a hard surface without something to cushion it.

Time is a great healer.

• Posted

Hi Jodi, I still don't like the sensation when I kneel down at 2 years on one knee and 18 months on the other. I occasionally tolerate it if I want to have a bath but otherwise still shuffle along on my bum to the nearest chair if I want to get off the floor. My physio showed me how to use a pillow but said it would not work very well after having 2 TKRs.

You will eventually find what suits yourself.

Best Wishes

• Posted

Thank you Polly, 

Luckily I've only had surgery on one knee at this stage, I'm hoping I can stave off the other for a few more years yet. This means I can still get up and down easily, without pressure on the operated knee. I can also kneel and take more eweight on the good knee.

• Posted

I was warned that I would not be ABLE to kneel. Perhaps they meant notbe able to without that needle pain. So even after four years I avoid kneeling if at all possible. I have to stand up at the communion rail LOL but otherwise rarely need to kneel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.