Knee sore ten months after PKR. Any other PKR information needed please.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

I have just had a medial partial knee replacement 5 weeks ago (left knee). However June 2017 I had the same operation on the right knee. So two PKR's.

I am looking for anyone's experience on this procedure. I know the recovery is very similar, my physio says in his experience partials can be more painful as they have to knit with more of you.

i have definitely found it to be excruciating in both instances. My problem is the first knee at ten months still hurts. If I poke it, it's like a toothache, it seems to be getting worse. I don't remember it being this sore after 6 months. Commen sense tells me it is because it is having to do all the work for the newly operated knee. But there is that element of doubt that this is here to stay. I would like to know if anyone has had the same. Walking is very painful and prior to all this walking was my life.

thanks for all your input on this forum it's very enlightening.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Everyone is different, my Dr told me partials are better initially for most but they end up doing the TKR in most cases. Four surgeries instead of 2 didn't sound very good to me. He doesn't do both at same time, too much trauma to deal with at once. I'm having problems with swelling and noise 17 months post TKR and he wants to redo it. I'm not very happy and he says he understands. I told him he had no idea, he has 2 good knees. 

• Posted

Hi Tricia

I will be two years out PKR right knee (Lateral). Anytime I did to much my knee hurt and swelled up for most of the two years.

I feel as though as I approach the two year mark I can say that I finally think I am over the hump as far as all the pain and swelling. I have laid low for the last 6  months as far as exercise . I know that many on here say you must keep exercise to strengthen. For me It just wasn't working. What was working was not doing anything too aggressive at all and just let it heal.

I am feeling confident now and am ready to start back doing exercises and strengthening as my knee allows.

Everyone is different and heals differently . I share my experience. It is not a walk in the park and you have to have a lot of patience through all the ups and downs of recovery.

I think you just need more time and to recheck your activity levels.

Debbie

• Posted

Thanks Debbie. More or less what I thought. My old partial is playing up because of all the hammer it takes due to the new one. At least this is what I hope. It seems I will have to wait 2 years to find out!
  • Posted

I had PKR on right knee 10 weeks ago. My left knee is suffering with OA and will need a partial too. However I can totally relate to the pain in the left knee after the op. In fact from an early stage I had to use the operated knee to go upstairs as e left leg was too painful. I spoke to Physio and consultant, he said it was because I was putting so much more weight through the unoperated leg. I'm sure once you are back walking properly the pain will ease. X

• Posted

Hi Debs thanks for your reply. I'm 61 but was very fit before all this. I used to do Zumba, swim and walk several times a week.   I too have OA in both knees but the reason I had partials on both knees was apparently the lateral side on both knees is OA free at the moment although both knees have OA in the kneecap. I hope they last 10 years. I can't even think about another operation!

Fingers crossed for us both.

• Posted

Incidentally how old are you. I'm 46 so they won't do the full TKR. Although said it may be as little as 5 years that they will need to do the TKR after this partial. Depends how quickly the rest of the knee deteriorates sure to the OA. X

• Posted

Ugh - I can relate.  I am 13 weeks out PKR this Thursday.  Was cruising along fine and then over the past couple of weeks I have begun to feel grinding under kneecap and experiencing some localized swelling above the knee cap (towards the thigh, where the quads tie in I believe).  NO pain associated with the grinding (one would think with that amount of noise something excruciating would accompany it).  Generalized soreness which is really nothing new...if I touch the area where the replacement is, it feels like a bruised area.  Tendons popping and moving, too.  But if I lie on either side, it doesn't crackle or grind.  No real reduction in ROM or straightening.  I'm concerned, but PT doesn't think it's anything abnormal.  *sigh*

• Posted

I have not had back to back PKR but I have had 5 TKR's 1 infection after 4thTKR along with a total of 17 surgeries all on the same knee. I have has partial as well as several scopes ( lucky me not!! ) All knee surgeries are painful in my opinion totals completely stink. I am almost 2 years out from my last replacement and there are times I can hardly walk every day I have some form of pain its either bad or worse it all depends on my activity being a guy I cannot just sit and do nothing. I love to walk but if I walk a half a mile okay anything longer I pay for it. I do agree since my L knee is the problem it puts more stress on the right so even though I am not in your shoes I understand. It might be since you have been favoring one for so long and now you have the other worked on its makes sense that the good one is still trying over compensate. You can sometimes hurt for as long as a year well I have been told that however I must belong to Murphy's Law. If it were me and the pain stays the same daily I would call the Dr. When I overdo it I feel it but by the next day it feels a little better. 

• Posted

Hi I am 7 months knee cap replacement consultant said will need tkr in a couple of years I am suffering with consent tightness/pain I also have a weird feeling as if fluid is trickling down my knee I often go to feel it as it feels wet does anyone else have this feeling

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.