Knee Stiffness

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 7 weeks post TKR on Wednesday.  Does anyone else suffer from the constant knee stiffness?  Physiotherapist can get my knee to 95 degree bend, but after as little as twenty minutes exercise at home, my knee is as stiff as ever.  It is so frustrating.  Is this normal or am I expecting too much to feel anything like normal at this stage?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

yes lynn ,i do still have stiffness in my right knee, 5 months post opp and 6 days post opp on the left , i do have all the bend i want but have come to think we are all so different ,only now do i see how good in my right knee really is , take your time lynn it will come in the end

• Posted

Thanks for your quick reply.  Other knee needs 'doing' too, and reminds me of that each time I move!  Feel it is holding my walking back somewhat as I'm a little nervous it will give way on me.  Finding it so hard to come to terms with the fact that I have to go through this all again.  It has been more difficult than I ever imagined.
    • Posted

hI lynn I am 4 months post op and didnt think my knee was as it should be but saw the consultant Thursday and he was very pleased with it and said it was bending alright. I am now having the other knee done in a few months time just waiting for the appointment. Like you I am dreading this but know it has to be done. We alll seem to be different with our recovery. Take heart, dont worry.
    • Posted

Just posted but then saw that you are due to have your other knee done too. I'm 65 now, was 63 when I had the two knees totally replaced at the same time as I didn't have a good leg to stand on. Both were bone on bone when walking and because I'm a tall and big woman with some blood clotting and heart issues I had been putting up with the pain for 6 years prior to finally seeing a surgeon in the hopes they could do something. I've not regretted it. The left knee is so good that the drama with the right knee is 'just one of those things' and I've remained confident that it too will be as good. I've been unlucky with some dramas, read all about it in my first post to the forum but I am sure that in 6months or so, I shall be a new woman. I live in Perth, Western Australia, and one thing that I'm surprised at is how many of the other forum users are expecting the op to have been a quick fix? My surgeon spent the first consult explaining exactly what I could expect, and how long it all would take, and how often I would be xrayed and reviewed. At Twelve months after the op if my right knee had been as good as my left I would've been walking the best I had in 7years and been almost fully pain free. I am now expecting that to be a further 6mths or so away. How long were you told it would be ?
    • Posted

i know where your coming from lol, i felt the same ,i still have pain in the right knee but felt it was a better pain to handle , my right knee is more of anoying and ache all the time,and very stiff after ive relaxed , my left knee felt like it was going to give way all the time and some times did ,when it did it was a pain i wanted to back away from , so took the decision a knew knee , 1 week post opp and i must admit that today has been bad , i feel like i have a tight bandage all round my knee cap stopping me move and its throbbing a lot today every time i bend or move it , was even thinking i may have a small bleed inside as i have a lot more swelling and bruising than last time , but having said that i have not been taking it as easy as i should ,so im sat on my bum doing nothing , but its done now and i can only look forward  to my first wage slip for over 16 months ,just in time for christmas lol, on a seriouse note i would do it again , the two different,types of pain ,one you want to run away from and one that bugs you ,i would rather be bugged than run , you will know when your ready and i am told its easier the 2 nd time around , so far it has but time will tell , 2nd time you know what to expect so you have more controle ,this has been better because you can work your meds to suite you best , hospital cut backs are noticeable 

good luck x

• Posted

Hi Lynn, I am only 3 weeks post op and suffering with the knee stiffness too. It seems I have a while to go judging by yours and other comments 😒 It's so frustrating each time I get up and the leg is still so stiff and painful. I'm doing the exercises regularly and can tell my leg is getting stronger but it still hurts! I'm getting fed up of taking strong painkillers too and really wonder how much effect they have! Sorry to moan. Tha's not much help to you is it? I suppose we've just got to be patient; last time I saw the doctor at the hospital he told me I wouldn't like them there for about 6 months!! Everyone says to keep up the exercises and it'll be worth it in the end so I suppose that's all we can do. Do you use ice? I find that 10 to 20 mins helps when the knee tightens up. Keep your chin up. Jen
    • Posted

Yes, ice has been my best buddy for the past seven weeks.  My husband has been so patient putting the ice cuff on my knee every two hours or so during the day.

I guess if they told you the whole truth about this most difficult operation, you wouldn't get it done.  Must admit, on several occasions, I have wished I hadn't.

Keep in touch.  Always helpful to know how other people are coping.  At least I got to ditch those dreadful stockings last week after six full weeks. During this hot Summer they have been unbearable.

• Posted

You're right there about the real truth of this op! Hopefully, we can both write on this site in a few months time and say, Yes, it was worth it 😊 I've got 3 more weeks of the dreaded stockings! Yes, please keep in touch. 
  • Posted

It's do hard to know if how we feel is normal...I went for my second physio treatment and was told my swelling was down now, to only use heat.  The heat does feel wonderful too.  At physio my therapist really broke away some tightness...it felt like he loosen a rubber bend nd I can move so much easier.  He told me yo keep massaging my incision back and forth. This will help with the scar tissue, etc.  I find my day end I'm really sore, and my pain seems worse at night when I want to sleep.  Every chance I get I put my legs upright for a few minutes.
  • Posted

Hi lynn08926, Is the stiffness because of swelling in the joint? If so then ice it more frequently and get the leg up so that your knee is higher than your heart. That reduces swelling quickly, and then you can get the exercises and bending done. I've had 4 major knee ops in the last 22 months on my right knee. TKR, then a ligament repair which failed, then another ligament repair which also failed and then the first TKR was taken out and a very different model put in. The last op was at the end of May. In each case I had 90deg before leaving hospital ( 5 day stays) and my knee is at 120deg right now. I think 'normal' is something you won't feel for twelve months? That's when my other knee which was also done at the same time as the first TKR, felt 'normal'. I was walking very well after 6mths the first time but something went wrong with the right knee between 9 and 12 months and I haven't walked well since. The ops were spaced about three/four months apart. I do feel I'm more stable with this last op, but not walking confidently just yet. It will come. The knee is stiff if I stand too long, sit at a desk too long, etc. It's never a quick fix. But the left knee gives me the motivation to know it will come right in the end. I hope this helps... expect to progress, but don't overdo it. Get the leg up as often as you can. Good luck with it.wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.