Knee stiffness

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi I'm nearly 5 weeks post op after knee replacement and I'm wondering does anyone have that heavy stiff feeling and aching after walking or just being on their feet for a while,it tends to be at the end of the day, and also my knee gives way suddenly sometimes , I'm trying to do all the normal daily chores but I don't feel I could be without my crutches ,am I being to expectant of what I think I should be doing. Thanks 

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, just back from seeing my surgeon,( discharged for 12 months) and I asked him about the band and stiffness. He said it is perfectly normal . He explained that every time we use the knee it is like spraining it and it is continually healing. This will go on for another few months but will eventually go.
    • Posted

Neither do I but I'm sure he knew what he meant. lol At least he says it wil limprove in a few months.Hope so as planning to drive round Europe for the summer and it won't be very good if I can't walk around those wonderful cities. I was amazed to find my bend was 120, thought it had got stuck.
    • Posted

hi carol ... of course i am not your surgeon but i think i understand what he meant.  think of it like this: you start going to the gym after a long long time of being a couch spud.  what do you get?  a very, very sore body!  your muscles are aching like crazy.  why do you get this?  well, you have pulled, stretched and slightly damaged your muscles in lots of tiny, tiny tears all over.  and you know what they say is the best to cure the muscle soreness?  the hair of the dog!  do more exercise.  in essence, that is what we are doing to our knee and the ligaments / muscles around it every day ... we are pushing it to its limit.  every night the body tries to heal and every morning we are stiff.  and every day it gets a little better as the body remembers what happened the day before.  does this make sense?
    • Posted

Britta you should be my surgeon cause you explained it so well. Did an extra hard swim today and the back crawl really pulled around the knee. But that was ok. Now I'm suffering badly. However tomorrow all will be well. I think this explains the roller coaster ride that so many have mentioned over the months. Understanding is half the battle. Good luck in hospital.
    • Posted

Yes, that makes sense, Britta. I'm finding that other muscles are starting to play up too now that I'm doing more. I was so pleased with myself the other day striding out down the hill from our house to catch a bus then striding up to come back. But the following day my quad muscles in both legs were so sore! You'd swear I'd run a marathon 😊 Jen x
    • Posted

I have had a problem with sciatica overnight after extending my swimming. Haven't suffered from that for a few months so other muscles are coming back into use. Back to the stretching exercises.eek
    • Posted

Do the stretching exercises work? I'm getting trouble with sciatic nerve pain and doing stretches a few times a day but it's still playing up. 
    • Posted

To be honest Jennifer the only thing that really helps my sciatica is my osteopath but I work on the exercises anyway. it's telling that I didn't have much of a problem with it for the last 12 months because I just couldn't do much. Now I'm getting my life back the sciatica is back. Win some lose some.lol
    • Posted

haha!  10 out of 10 for doing all the swimming you do.  that can't be bad, surely?  back crawl?  good god, i have never done that in all my life. you must be super fit!
    • Posted

Hi Britta it was living in Greece for years, calm warm seas etc, that improved my swimming. Couldn't do a back crawl until I was 60. Now I only have a pool but at least it's warm. I used to be fit, lots of mountain walking especially but that's what damaged my knees in the first place. Just can't win.rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi there, great to hear you could swim so well after your Tkr... Ive had both knees replaced over past two years. I had so much pain beforehand there's no way I could attend a gym. I started swimming 6 months after 2nd knee was done and now swim 50 x 25metres 3 times a week purely for exercise. My knees are still painful and l still require painrelief everyday but maintain the exercise.... I'm only 57 female is anyone else experiencing pain so long after operations???
  • Posted

I am in PT in the states. It has been over 1 year since my surgery. I first thought it was weakness in the knee. I'm tired of this.

I would be happy if I were 5 weeks out. Sounds good to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.