Knee Stiffness on standing one year post op B/L TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my bilateral knee replacement in Feb 2016, Walking/climbing & getting down stairs is fine. I walk about 30 min both morning and evening, I stay on 2nd floor, so 2-3 times a day I go up and down. While doing all this I have no problem.

My problem is I can't stand still for a while, even while ironing my paint my knees get stiffer. I feel stiffness at the lower outer side of the knees ( that part i feel numb also) Though numbness is reducing. Initially the lower outer side of the knees getting stiff and slowly slowly both knees get stiff, then its difficult to raise my knees. This stiffness goes either by walking or sitting down for 5-10 min.

I met my OS (i.e one year post op visit), they had my X-rays and said everything is fine, but not able to tell me the cause of my problem. He said my operation is sucess my ROM (both leg ) is 120 degrees. and this problem will be there.

I am not satisfied with my OS, I visited another surgeon but he also not like to comment and prescribed me some medicines which are nothing but suppliments. Since my OS is a renowend Doctor and I feel so the other Doctor do not want to comment on his work. My operation was done by Dr. Ashok Rajgopal.

I want to know if someone else have this kind of problem.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have that problem now but I'm only 4 weeks post bilateral total knees. Good grief I sure hope I don't have a year later. I feel so bad for you. I hope you can some kind if resolution.

• Posted

I meant some kind of resolution.
  • Posted

Is your extension 0?  I know that before I managed to get the leg absolutely straight, I had trouble standing still, in a queue (line) for example. . . 
    • Posted

On my 6 month post op visit, my OS team said i have 0 etension in both legs, though i feel my right leg not get as straight as my left.

Now on my one year post op visit they agreed that my right leg is not fully extented, they prescribed me some extension excercises.

• Posted

Hi and yes, I am also experiencing similar issues to those you describe. Similar attitudes and responses from my surgeon. My GP said I was fortunate that one of my knees appears to be perfect. The other has an effusion which causes me pain. Try to move as much as you can. Sitting or immobility is your enemy unless knee is elevated horizontally. Bilaterals are real heavy going and slowly we should gain good outcomes otherwise there is not much else to look forward too. Anti-tank inflammatory drugs help me. Yesterday I flew in an aircraft for 3 hours, walked 20 minutes to immigration, up and down ramps and stairs. Pain but without the bilateral replacements I ubderwennt in March 2016, I would have been unable to do this. Travel is my life and a bit if minor discomfort is the price of an unexact science and imperfect results, sometimes known as knee replacement surgery. I wish you a pain free and positive final outcome.
    • Posted

My phone seems to just alter my words at whim! Apologies The anti inflammatory drugs I take are celebrex. Not good long term but short term solution and helps me. I believe the results you are experiencing are perfectly normal. Have faith and keep up the great work. How old are you? I am 64. Fit, active and regained my mobility after years of hobbling around. I still hobble after a huge travel day but the knee replacement surgery was my only option.
    • Posted

lyn thanks for your sharing, I am 52 and quite active. I am also happy with my operation because now i have no pain while walking or climbing stairs.

The only problem is that I can not stand for a long, after 2-3 minutes of standing my knees start getting stiff and i need to look for some place to sit.

I am religiously doing extension excercises prescribed to me to an extent that it will not hurt my knee

• Posted

My TKR was done in September of 2015, so abuot 1 1/2 years ago.  I still have numbness on outside of knee, stiff when sitting too long.  Minor pain on inside of knee that Dr. said was most likely bursitis (and offered exercises to stregthen hamstring or get a cortisone shot).  I walk about 4 miles a day with absolutely no problem.  So, even after a year +,  I"m not pan free, but it's so minor to what it was before replacement.  Maybe this is something we just have to live with.  I do notice when I get into my SUV, I tend to help my leg lift up because of discomfort.  And my Dr. (who I think is great,) also told me that discomfort, stiffness, numbness, and clicking could very well be part of my life from now on.  I really don't mind....I walk, do my weight training and move on. 

I hope you feel better.

Mary Ann

• Posted

Thanks Mary Ann for sharing your experience. Really helpfull for me to adjust with new knees
  • Posted

Saw a chiropractor. Problem resolved. Was a problem w/the nerve root pinched in spine.
  • Posted

Ruifeng,  had my TKR in Feburary 2016 also.  I am experiencing the same issues.  When you stand be sure to shift your weight to other leg.  I am always stiff after sitting.  Massaging my knee has help with the numbness.  I still do that several times per day.  Just 1 yr out.....my doc said 1 yr for my body to own the new knee....and 18 months to be totally healed.  I know I am much better than before surgery.  Keep on keeping on😄.  Time will heal it.  The surgeon just looks at the implant,  my GP says give it time.

pam

• Posted

So true, Pam. My surgeon is so proud of my new knees as the surgery and outcome was "perfect" he says. I say "you're not walking with the darn things". Surgeons just wanna do surgery and girls just wanna have fun. x

• Posted

Thanks Pan, for sparing your time and sharing your experience, its really useful. It's very true surgeon just look at the status of implant. 

Its a major surgery important muscles are cut during the procedure, and the healing of muscles vary with paitent to paitent.

You have problem in sitting and my problem is standing. Before surgery I also can not sit for long, But after surgery sitting, bending knee, cycling, climbing stairs walking is no problem, I think that is why my surgeon is not giving to problem what I have.

Hope that this problem will go by time.

• Posted

I'm in PT for a shoulder issue now and mentioned my stiff knee from a tkr in Oct 2016. I was told to focus on stretching exercises - which I don't like doing - for my knee, back and all over.

Hope it helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.