Knee Surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi,

I have a knee eplacent operation booked for next week and I am wondering if I need any special equipment at home after the operation whilst I am recovering.

I have had two hip operations and I had an elevated toilet seat and I managed to borrow a riser recliner chair from a friend which was great but I do not really want to ask for it again because it was very difficult to transport.

I am hoping my husbnd can raise the height of a small recliner settee which I like to use.

Any advice would be welcome.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Christine,

I went shopping on my way home from hospital. After that my husband took me on a daily walk, increasing the distance gradually - I felt like a dog at times!  I didn't use crutches in the house but thephysio advised taking at least one out  if going shopping so that people would avoid bumping into you or pushing.

I had a shower daily when I got home. I used to tie a carrier bag around my knee.

I wear shoes with high heels for more formal occasions.

It really depends on you as a person. You have to work on your recovery and keep up with the exercises but be careful not to overdo it.

• Posted

Hi Polly,

it sounds as if you hav done really well with your recovery and thanks for your speedy reply.

How many weeks are you now?

• Posted

Hi Christine, I'm afraid I'm a lot further down the line than a lot on this forum. I did not know about the forum when I had my knees done - it is almost two years since I had my second one.  I was introduced to the forum by a friend who knew how well I got on so I like to come on occasionally to offer help and support. I can assure you I have felt the same ever since I had my ops.

Hope all goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.