Knee surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 2 months after tkr in right knee. I did not have physical therapy for over a week when I got home. I am walking fine with no help, up the stairs fine, slow coming down. Still have a lot of pain in center of knee cap. Therapist says I am only bending 80 degrees.I do a lot of exercises & therapy 2x a week. My knee just doesn't seem to want to bend further. I am wondering if I am in trouble with my knee at this point?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Is your physiotherapist concerned? Take a look at youtube. There are some great exercises there for all kinds of knee issues. Be proactive and perhaps ring your surgeon to get his opinion.
  • Posted

I'm having a similar issue after TKR on both knees late January.  In mid-May I had manual manipulation on both under anesthesia. My surgeon bent both to 135 degrees and showed my husband a picture.  The day after at PT we measured my bend and 1 was at 120 and the other about 116.  2 or 3 days of Pt a week and home exercises and I'm stuck.  I added swimming and water walking 2 weeks ago.  My PT asked how flexible I was prior to TKR.  I do not recall how bad it was but I didn't have much flexibility.  I have avoided kneeling for years due to pain. I have no idea how many years ago I could sit cross legged.  I'm afraid this is my reality which is unfortunate at 49. I will be seeing my surgeon in a couple months. My PT recommended I cut back to 1 day a week and to increase swimming days.  Consider your condition prior to surgery and schedule a check in with your surgeon.  PT's goal is 120. Good luck.

• Posted

I'm curious what you mean by "in trouble". From my experience (and we all are different), being at 80 degrees at 2 months isn't good. But it's not the end of the world. You need to figure out ways that get you a greater bend. Unless you don't care and are comfortable with where you are. I was over 115 when my PT visits stopped after 4 weeks. But I kept pushing and it's even better now.  When you say you can go up the stairs fine...does it look like someone who didn't have TKR? How about going down? My goal (not sure why I was fixated on this one) was to look like any other person going up and down the stairs. I might not be able to bounce up and down them, but my steps are not telling of someone with a bilateral TKR. - Mo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.