Knee surgery: feeling really discouraged and depressed

Posted , 6 users are following.

On May 30, 2016, I had a fall resulting in a dislocated knee. When I fell I heard a popping sound and when I hit the ground, I fainted. When I finally came to, my mom told me that I had dislocated my knee and she relocated it. She drove me to the ER and they were in the process of giving me an xray when, all I did was turn my leg slightly to the right and my knee dislocated again. Dr. sedated me to relocate it. They ran a number of tests and found that I had a slightly damaged artery in the back of my leg. They put me in a locked brace and admitted me for observation. When the ok was given, I was able to go home with my brace on, still locked. It stayed locked for the next two weeks. I went for a follow up with my doctor, he told me I had torn my ACL, MCL, and two tears in my meniscus. Also at this time, I discovered that my knee had become stiff from it being locked in place for two weeks. I had to go to PT to get my ROM back. It took nearly 2 months to get my flexion to 100. No matter how hard I tried I could not get it passed that. I just had surgery on the 19th of August and I realize I'm still in the early stages of recovery but with all that happened before surgery, I feel so discouraged and depressed. Most of all I feel so scared that I may not be able to get my full flexion back. On top of that, I'm scared of experiencing the pain of a dislocation again, after it just happened so easily in the ER. I want to push myself to have a successful recovery but I feel I am my own worst enemy because of my fears. I just really need someone who's had a similar experience to offer me some encouragement. This is the lowest I've ever been in my life.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your surgery was tkr?
    • Posted

No it was not that extensive. I just got my ACL, MCL, meniscus, and some roots in my knee repaired.
  • Posted

I'm so sorry. Sounds very extensive to me. But had arthroscopic surgery in 2009 to repair a torn meniscus. I know I was shocked at how long it took me to recover. It was s good 3 months and even after that continued to have swelling. Just hang in there. Elevate and ice a lot!! Best of luck. Keep your chin up!!

• Posted

Thanks lisa. The first couple of days, it didn't seem like the ice was even helping but now that I'm not having a pity party anymore, I'm beginning to see some improvement. This group has really helped me.

• Posted

Hello, I never had surgery though back in april of this year I had sprained my knee to this day I have been walking on egg shells being very strong pain can hit me @ any given time but it seems it has even gotten worse with twisting all sorts of things going on..mri's xrays didn't really show much other than a sprain from what the ortho doc tells me, though the lower back shows compressed nerves in 3 discs which he says is most likely the problem causing my pain in the knee with the sciatica as well.I will be going to pain management next week though I will not have any back surgery nor block injections done so day to day I am living with pain.. I know my friend & can imagine what you are going through feeling the way you do down to your lowest..feeling overwhelmed..stressing much & now being into this for over 4 months now sometimes I just feel I don't want to try to walk anymore because of the pain...all I can tell you is to hang in there pray about it which I will do that for you as well eventually we will get through it...I been through this almost exact thing before few years ago that was a sprain & it lasted almost a full year wasn't easy but I did get better to where I had 5 years able to move around like nothing ever happened..will all be good...God bless

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your knee injury. I know is it awful to experience knee pain. I hope that you find some kind of relief. I thank you for you words of encouragement. I will just take it one day at a time.

• Posted

I know numbers are very frustrating, and the desire to be "normal" and not fearful is tough.  My daughter went through the same as what you did in a skiing accident, and she was also running collegiate track at the time. My words to her were to think in small steps, is there anything you can do or does something feel better today than a few days ago? Her PT and I also helped her focus on strengthening and range of motion will follow.  You may find comfort in doing exercises in the water, less worries about the weight bearing causing dislocation.  I think you may find a common theme here of be patient, and every body heals a bit different. So don't lose heart or get caught up in what should be, and take one day at a time. Journeys of greatness are accomplished one step at a time.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words tere52583. It is very frustrating especially since my doctor, (I know he only wants the best for me, he has been amazing) and my PT seem to be pushing me passed my limits. I tell my PT when I've had too much or I need to stop and it seems as if she thinks I'm exaggerating my pain. You're right, numbers are the worst. When my PT and doctor tell me I need to be at a 90 flexion by my two week mark, I just think maybe that is what I'm supposed to do and get discouraged when I'm almost at my one week post op and I'm only at 65. And I know that seems like a lot already but it seems so hard to get passed that. That's when I start feeling down, thinking maybe I'll never be myself again. You really gave me some confidence and I appreciate that. I'm so sorry that your daughter has to experience this awful misfortune. I pray that she gets to feeling well soon.

• Posted

I'm so sorry!! While my story is a bit different- I'm 4 weeks out from my tkr- I can definitely understand the frustration of trying to full ROM back!! I didn't realize it was going to be this tough physically and mentally! I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. Don't worry, you will get through this and be stronger than ever!! Best of luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much. It makes me feel a little better to hear from people who have had similar experiences and add a little positivity to my situation. I know now that I am not alone. I also realize that I have a long, tough and at time, painful road ahead of me but the support and encouragement I have received has been uplifting. At least I haven't cried constantly for the past couple of days. I'm slowly making progress, even if it is just being a bit more positive.

• Posted

And I hope you are feeling better everyday as well.
    • Posted

I am a little over 6 weeks out and have just now started feeling a little like myself again. I was very discouraged and depressed. This recovery is very long. Don't expect too much from yourself. The improvements come in very small increments, so the key words are patience and endurance. I'm seeing greater gains now. Your knee has to have some time to heal, then it will start progressing. Keep your chin up. It will get better, I promise. Just hang in there and do what they ask if you. God bless!

• Posted

Thank you. If I may ask, how soon we you able to walk on your own?
    • Posted

I quit using a walker and/or Cain at about 3-4 weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.