Knee swelling

Posted , 7 users are following.

yesterday my rheumi doc told me to get acupuncture for the swelling, anyone else had it done? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am six months post TKR and my surgeon told me NO.  His fear is if they hit where the new knee is I could get an infection...it is a slight chance but one neither him or I would want to take at this point.   

Never had it done for a arthritic knee so I don't know about that. 

• Posted

Oh sorry, I had LKTR on May 23,2018, and wish I would have never done it. More pain and aggravation then before surgery....I know it takes time, but last 2 days feels like going backwards! Knee will not let me stand out of bed, like is locked, so frustrating!

the swelling is on inside and behind knee, ROM is good at 115 but straightening is impossible, so now I will try the acupuncture.

• Posted

Okay I wouldn’t use acupuncture you are only st 2 months and whereas some people not too bad by then others are still struggling , give it longer and don’t overdo things that aggravate it and cause swelling 
  • Posted

Gramma,

Let me know if it helps - I still have a problem with swelling and Im 13 weeks out.

Susan

• Posted

Hi Gramma

I would seriously check with your consultant before going ahead

In most cases if you follow the routine after TKR although it's a slow and often painful process most folk get to a stage where there life has improved considerably prior to the op I can't see acupuncture helping but that's just my opinion hope you get some relief soon

Johnny.

• Posted

I did 3 sessions of acupuncture before LTKR with a well known Chinese herbalist and acupuncturist to see if it would reduce pain.  Although the needles were sterile no wiping down of the skin was done. My concern after knee replacement is the introduction of skin bacteria that could cause infection around your knee replacement since the natural immune protection is not in the artificial joint to fight off infection.

You are still early in recover and are better off icing, elevating leg whenever possible and following an exercise routine without overdoing which can cause swelling itself. The first physical therapist session they told me to ride a bike for 30’minutes 6 days post op (I didn’t feel the pain then) which caused massive swelling  and pain that persisted for months

Read Chico Marx posts for excellent suggestions, especially patience knowing some of us take longer to heal

I’ve been doing pool exercises and that movement has helped reduce swelling 10 months post op

Spent 10 months in a wheelchair due to an allergic reaction to dermabond and bad early physical therapy 

Extension was stuck at 45 degrees which is why I couldn’t walk

With a new physical therapist, JAS brace to gradually straighten and hold extension for 30 minutes 3X day and patience , my extension is zero and flexion 125

But it took 10 months to straighten before I could start pool exercises to rebuild muscle 

If you do decide to have acupuncture,  talk to your doctor about antibiotics

Be sure to replace probiotics afterwards to avoid future digestive problems

Best Wished

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.