knee swollen and hurting after 13 months TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

My knee felt good for about three months after TKR  i have 130 flexion within weeks of op. i did everything PT told me to do was released then one day  knee swelled up and they pulled a great deal of blood out and its been swelling ever since. they did a bone scan and check for infections but nothing found just had it check after a year of this and its blood orange fluid still  and are taking test and ordering another bone scan? frustration to the max. Anyone deal with this before?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had TKR nearly five years ago but no similar problems.

Sorry you are having to go through this.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I'm 11 months Post Op from TKR on the right knee.

To be quite honest I'm physically and mentally worn out from the whole thing. I can't seem to get anything done at all. My walking and balance is all wonky and I'm totally wiped out by the afternoon. Talk about a lamb to the slaughter!

If I knew what I knew now I would keep well away from on knee surgery.

I'm seeing the consultant (surgeon) this month

I suppose he wants to sign me off but I'm having an X-ray first. He says it's no good having a scan because it doesn't show anything

I wish now I'd have persevered for stem cell

I was told it would take a year

Well this has taken a year and I'm still not right - if I have to have the other knee done it will be stem cell if I can afford it.

I don't know why the Government don't back it- it would be a lot cheaper in the long run

• Posted

I tend to agree Mary, but that's just me. Some of us really do well with this op, however like u me not so well either. 11 months po and still have pain by day's end n still taking meds to control it. It has affected my whole back as well. Well at least I can still walk, exercise on bike, pool n some weight lifts too keep the thigh strong. Always important to keep up exercises with this type of op. Stay strong, I got a feeling as well I may have to have my other knee done as well. Scares me half to death, but maybe I'll get better results with that one, who knows??? One day at a time. Best of health, k p

• Posted

hi, sorry to hear your goin thru all these issues. As far as I've been told the X-rays don't show too much as well as the mri. I would look further into the bone scan, I've heard from this forum it shows more results then X-rays or mri? Like I said look or research into further, I think some of these docs just like to push us off. If they could only feel our pain.!!! .??? 😡😡 best of health to you, k p

• Posted

Sorry you are having to deal with swelling & bleeding after doing so well.  And, yes, I have had to deal with the same thing you are dealing with.  It is very frustrating!!  I am 16 months out & still my knee is not right - my flexion is 135 & extension is awesome also.  After my TKR, my knee kept swelling also & nothing would get it to go down.  Ortho surgeon ruled out infection, etc.  Aspirated bloody fluid out of it several times.  Five months after TKR, he scoped my knee & I had a whole sheath of tissue getting caught in the joint that was causing the bleeding so he cleaned that all out & also cleaned out a bunch of scar tissue.  Big difference after the scope & swelling finally started to go down.  My knee was finally starting to feel a better until I had another spontaneous bleed into it 11 months after TKR - ugh!  Aspirated blood off it once again & ruled out infection.  Also sent me for bone scan & a bone scan with the WBC's tagged to check if any infection.  My bone scan with WBC's tagged showed definite inflammation all along tibial plateau.  Infection was ruled out & also was sent for a 2nd opinion at a larger medical center to get their opinion on whether or not it was loose or if they could see anything that wasn't quite right.  Confirmed that the joint was not loose & was perfectly aligned.  Am scheduled for another scope on knee this coming Tuesday - ortho surgeon thinks that I again have some tissue caught in joint & the bleed has now created scar tissue that is causing me pain & that possibly still getting tissue pulled into it.  So hoping that cleaning it all out again will finally take care of my pain.  Could significantly tell the difference the day after my first scope & was doing well until the spontaneous bleed.  Could you possibly be getting tissue caught in it?  Especially since they have ruled out everything else?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.