Knee Tightness

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello All

I am10 weeks post op, my bend is getting better (100 or maybe a little over)-I may need manipulation; my straightening is good when lying down but still not 100%when standing; my walk is getting better and I use one crutch or none inside but two when I go out.

Have just bought an automatic car this morning which will hopefully arrive by the weekend so I can drive again and get back to work part time as of next week.

So everything is progressing however my knee still feels very heavy and tight and is driving me more than mad as it feels like it is being literally crushed in a vice from either side of my knee /like the knee cap is being suctioned!

My GP has prescribed anti depressants to help me cope with it and she tells me it is the healing process in action but at my review four weeks ago I was told it was nerve pain. I have looked up nerve pain and what I feel does not tally.

I have mentioned this before and I know that lots of you have stiff or tight knees but has or is anyone else getting this feeling please and what has helped?

I do my exercises including the bike, I use a water bottles, elevation and small walks but nothing helps it.

Any advice would so appreciated, thanks, Tracey

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey, I'm 15 weeks post op and the tightness/heaviness you describe is much better than it was. It's hard to remember what it was like at 10 weeks but I know it's only the last few weeks I've felt I don't notice it so much. Is it worse after walking or exercise? Does your knee still swell much? If so, perhaps ice would help. Although they're a pain (literally) I think the exercises are the only thing that really help our recovery so you're right to keep these up. Do you still see a physio? I still see one weekly at the hospital and she's very helpful when I describe my specific pains. it's likely though that what you're getting is "normal" and will improve in time. Hope so anyway. Jen x
    • Posted

Hi Jen

I have really tried to think about when it is worse and can't say that it is anything particularly that starts it.

About five weeks ago it lasted for a week; I just didn't know what to do with myself. Then I had it for a couple of days and now it has been about five days, it is flipping awful:-(

My knee doesn't swell after exercise however it is still swollen compared to my good knee. Yes must keep exercising and moving it is vital I agree.

I see the physio at exercise classes; when I have mentioned / asked about feelings etc before she just says it is normal because she hears all sorts of things from other people that have had surgery! Will ask her again next week.

Glad to hear yours is not so tight and heavy, hope this goes again soon.

Thanks, Jen x

• Posted

Evening Tracey,

Asked my physio the very same question just last week on a rainy day and she confirmed that 'the knee' doesn't like the damp.  For the same reason I suspect oldies move to Spain!

• Posted

Hi Tracey. I am just coming up to 12 wks post op and mine is just as you describe. It drives me insane at times and I have lots of swelling still. I went to see my consultant today as my GP thought it may need fluid drained off.  The surgeon said he is very pleased with my recovery so far, no need to drain ( although op knee is 4 inches bigger than the other one). The tightness, he said, is all the soft tissue and nerves mending and really is normal.  Mine is tight and heavy for at least 95% of the time! it has been tight for about 3 solid weeks now.  Exercise does help ease it but nothing gets rid of it.  We just have to wait until it does it's thing lol. Chin up love, it does get better - apparently😀😀
    • Posted

If it's any consolation, I haven't noticed the heavy feeling for the last month or so.  The weird, vice-like, tight band feeling still comes and goes, but that is to be expected if it takes at least a year to heal.

Still yell out sometimes when I turn over in bed though!

Lynn 19 weeks and feeling so much better!

• Posted

hi tracey!  as you know, i have my problems, but not what you describe.  at 8 weeks post op it is minimally swollen.  of course i still have pain, but not the way you describe it.  at the risk of sounding like a broken record, you should really look into lymphatic massage. there is a great web page for uk based therapists.  you can give in your location and it tells you where your closest therapist is.  type in "lymphatic massage uk" and click on the first option.  sorry i cannot give you exact link, this won't allow it.  after my first massage in rehab my knee was 1cm less swollen in just 24 hours!  the relief is amazing and definitely worth a try.

good luck!

• Posted

inthinkthis is one of the steps we all have to go , i found that about 9 ,to 12 or 13 weeks just as youthink things are looking up they go down again , hopeing it s a time thing , ice should help 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.