knee tightness after a tkr

Posted , 4 users are following.

good evening everyone I have had my second total knee replacement about 3 months ago and I still have tightness on both knees and still doing the exercises can anyone tell me how long the tightness will last

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Everyone heals at their own pace so there is really no text book case. It could take a year but eventually you will be doing an activity and just notice its gone. Just keep up the excercise program, icing and elevation. Rest when you can as a well rested body will heal faster than one that is under continual stress and strain
  • Posted

Snap! Me too cindy. I had mine 3 months ago and it's still tight. I still do my exercises. Do you find that if you rub it when it's tight, it releases? 

Caz

• Posted

Yes, CazDesmond

It does loosen up a bit.  My 1st TKR was in Aug.  That knee was really really tight and felt like vice grips-it loosened up some.  But 9 weeks later I had my right TKR and now it is tight, I guess it takes quite a while to loosen up. I quess

its very common among us.  I love this site.

• Posted

Well Cindy, I think you are really brave to have 2 done. I used to think that the people who had both done together were mad, but after having one done I don't think I would be eager to have the other one done. If you need them both done, I think it's best to have them done together now.

How are you? How is your bend? And your emotions? I'm still crying off and on.

Caz

• Posted

Cindy

does the knee get tighter after you exercise? Mine does. At the end of the day, it is so tight after exercising, and normal daily life, I dont even want to get up. Does it ever go away? What does your surgeon or PT say? I have several friends who have had this done, and they havenot had a problem with it, so I feel like something is wrong. Even ice seems to make it stiffer. Best wishes.

• Posted

CazDesmond,

I had such a hard time with my "Good Knee", that it left me no choice but to have that one done also.  My doctor thought I was good enough to have the 2nd one done 9weeks after the first.  I finished thereapy after 2.5 months we could get it to bend about 125*, My therapist thought that would be all I will get-because we struggled with that, my first knee is fine--bend about 130*, but the 2nd knee was the challenge.  I still do exercises everyday--at least once, I am back to work now for 4hrs and go up and down alot of steps-so I use that as my 2nd daily therapy.. I figured out while in my therapy sessions my knee and my leg cramps would not stop hurting-so I ended my therapy.  SInce then I exercise on my own and have not had the pain I was....I do still get this annoying butt cramp, but my doctor says it will go away...I have a hard time sleeping-but I can feel that slowly getting better also.  I only have pain in the inside corner of my knee if I try to bend it.  So I lay on my stomach and lift my knee up-with a rope and it gets the proper stretch I need...Weird I know.....  I feel pretty good--I no longer get depressed.  Wish this tight feeling would go away--but I guess it takes more time.   Good luck to you, I hope this helped you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.