Knee Walker caution

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello, a word of caution to everyone out there using a knee walker,

First of all they are great,however please be careful, if i only manage to help one person with this post then its done its job. I broke my ankel back in October and have had to use my knee walker for five months due to the probable developmeny of RSD/CRPS, that was and is a lot to still take in, its a horrible disease. I was getting fed up and decided to quit feeling sorry for myself, had just started driving again and back to work for a week. I decided to take my life back as much as i could and stupidly went to the grocery store thinking i could push the cart and use my scooter at the same time, i was just about done and feeling proud of myself. Not quite sure how it happened but my knee walker tipped over sideways and i went crashing to the ground, i was so mad at myself and thought oh no not again as i lay there unable to move, I was hoping i just had a dislocated shoulder but no, not me I  smashed my shoulder pretty bad. So, please be careful everyone those knee walkers can be tippy especially as you start to feel better and are not so cautious. I wish good healing to everyone, no RSD and no more accidents. Melanie.

0 likes, 124 replies

124 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thought you would like this MeltheBrit and others...
    • Posted

Ha, just seeing this, Patti!  Very funny.  Don't know if my insurance will give me 3x week home PT but I'm hoping so.  Believe me, I will need no cheerleading to get me to do the exercises.  I am SO looking forward to getting my life back to some kind of normalcy again and want to do it as soon as possible.  It's going to be very weird to put my full foot on the ground again after 8 weeks.  I can't even imagine what it's going to be like.  I'm thinking the first time will be with a PT person.
    • Posted

I knew that...I was just giving you a hard time because you said it was tiring going out on your scooter smile I am pretty sure the next step(s) for us in a few weeks is/are going to be our hardest.
    • Posted

By the way, I've seen pictures of that weird-looking iwalker.  Looks like it could be tricky to manage.  Wouldn't go near it myself and I'll stick to the knee roller!
    • Posted

I got one (ordered it online) and it looked like an accident waiting to happen, so I gave it to Goodwill.

Guys- I have good news I wanted to share with you. I went to my doctor's appt today and THEY GAVE ME A BOOT!!! Christmas came 3 weeks early for me. I was also given the okay to move on to 50% WB. I broke down and did my happy dance on one leg in the office. The doctor said to the intern "I guess she doesn't want the boot, what do you think?" Today is a milestone for me!!!

• Posted

Wow, Patti, celebrating with you!  You're even ahead of me as I start my 25% on Saturday.  Good for you, gal!!! Boot is nice because you can finally remove it to shower.
    • Posted

Thanks Ron! You are right behind me. I bet it will go faster than you think when you start WB. I hope the WB process for the 25%WB is pretty pain free for you as it has been for me. I know the PT may be different and painful though. Let me know. You are so lucky you have had your leg out of a cast for so long. Lee Lee, I know you know what I mean about this sense of freedom. And I bet there are others of you that really know what I mean too. 

I went straight for the tub tonight after dinner and soaked in there for 30 mins in warm water and was sooooo happy!  Lee Lee...shaving was beyond wonderful!! I feel fine about my scar...it looks so much better than I imagined. I have two tiny cuts, on two other points on my foot as well, which are not really noticeable, so they must have had to cut in 3 places to repair the tri-mal break. I massaged my foot for 30 minutes with the comfrey cream, and wrapped my leg with a loose ace bandage to keep it soaking in for the night, and put my foot in a sleeping boot they gave me. I didn't know I would get one of these, but it is so much better than the big boot for sleeping. My injured leg looks 2/3 the size of my other leg. I have work to do on my good leg too, since my leg workouts for both legs had to be put on hold, so as to maintain balance. I am looking forward to getting the muscles back in shape asap, but I know I need to still be patient. One step at a time! Can't wait to hear how Sat. goes for you! The weekend is coming soon!

• Posted

I what does it mean 25%WB? I am in only my second week non weight bearing & have 8 more to go. I am looking forward to walking again.
    • Posted

I finish up my 8 weeks today and begin (finally!) partial weight bearing tomorrow, Karran.  What does 25% weight bearing look/feel like?  Good question.  And I'm about to find out!  From what I hear and see online, it's basically just using your injured foot very very lightly, more like a reference point or balance than putting any real weight on it.  I'll have to walk with crutches and just barely put that foot (really, more like the toe) on the ground as I propel forward.  I think 50% will be much easier to guage, which begins a week later.  And I'm looking forward to hearing from Patti how that feels and how she accomplishes that.  We'll keep you posted.  Ron
    • Posted

Ron- ONE MORE DAY! Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you! Now that I'm in the boot, I find it is much easier to get around and step. I find 50% is just a bit more than 25% and still isn't hurting much at all during the day. I am surprised by that! I see why I read from people that it is hard to make the leap and not use crutches after you go to FWB. It will be weird to trust our balance at that point I think and let go of crutches eventually. I am massaging my foot often when I have it up, and I find most my pain (while massaging) comes from the top of the middle of my foot instead of the ankles, which seems really weird. I wonder if it is from the pressure of the cast as well as from the injury. I wore the soft boot they gave me for sleeping last night and seemed to bug me (the cast was much better). I think it is not as supportive as the cast and that's why my ankle hurt a little through the night. If it keeps bugging me I will sleep in the regular boot. I have one that you push a button and it blows up the sack inside to cushion the ankle. I suppose they are all like that, but I had no idea. It is really comfy! I originallly envisioned a hard boot where I was kind of sloshing around a bit in it...which doesn't make a lot of sense. Be sure to post tomorrow...I will be looking for how you did!!
    • Posted

Hi Karran! Ron explained it really well- it's kind of like a light step on the injured foot and then you crutch through on the good leg. They showed me for 30 seconds in the ortho office, and I was wondering if I could do it on my own, without crashing down the first time. I had come into the office on my scooter without my crutches, so I didn't have the opportunity to try it there in their office. I waited to have someone with me to try it home, just in case. I actually found it really easy when I did it and I didn't experience any pain from it at all- but I have no idea if that's normal. Ron will maybe tell you more tomorrow when he tries it, as our injuries are similar but not exact. Everyone's experience and pain are different. And as you can do the 25%, they tell you to press more week by week from what I understand. My doctor upped me that way and I'm in my second week of WB and now at 50%. There are some you tube videos where they show you online how to do 25% weight bearing- check them out.

Btw, Ron and I were going a little stir crazy our second week- hang in there! Try to keep busy and think of it as the precious time you have always been wanting to catch up on some projects (movies, magazines, bills, computer work, talking to friends, learning about new phone apps etc.). Work out your upper body as much as you can to get the blood flowing to heal yourself. Eat as healthy as possible- no caffeine (if you can), little alcohol (I say little because I always had a drink on weekend nights even though I knew it wasn't good for me smile, try to cut sugars, wean yourself of pain pills asap (if you can), I eat a lot of bone broth, low fat cottage cheese with berries, almonds and pumpkin seeds, eggs with veggies, lean protein, dark steamed greens, homemade veggie soups etc. I believe this has helped me a lot so far. We just went through the stage you are in, so it's fresh in our minds, and we are here for you!

• Posted

Today was one of those days, feeling sorry for myself. The most mundane things take so much energy.
    • Posted

Okay, so I'm now at my first day of 'walking' again!  Interesting.  Trying to keep at 25% weight-bearing is not the easiest of things to do.  Naturally I have to use crutches but if I want to carry something from the kitchen, for example, I have to still use the roller, as it has a basket.  But just trying to walk around gingerly and get used to the blood flowing again to the foot and using it tiny bit.  I think 50% will be considerably easier, but you would know about that.  
    • Posted

Yes, you are right Ron. I hadn't really thought about it, until you mentioned it right now, but 50% is a little easier, because you are not tapping the foot so much, but rather now doing a light step instead, so you do have more balance with the step. Are you finding it painful at all? I was very surprised it didn't really hurt at all, in the daytime or during the night after use. I think that is why they ease you into it, so you can get confidence, get your blood flowing, and get a bit of balance and strength back. Did you like your PT?

I also agree that suddenly relying on crutches more really slows you down, and I use a backpack now to carry things, since a bag on one shoulder was throwing my alignment and balance off a bit. It is a pain still with the backpack, because you inevitably forget something and then you have to turn around and go back, and the backpack is harder to get things in and out of compared to the basket. So now, I used the knee walker half the time to get around fast and carry things in the basket, and try to use my crutches and walk the other half the time that I am up, to work & strengthen the foot/ankle as needed. I have been spending at least an hour a day loosening my upper foot, and whole leg and ankle, by massaging it with the Christopher's comfrey and muscle and bone ointment as well. It is really helping a lot. Then I wrap it super loosely with an ace bandage to let the cream soak in, without getting my boot dirty, so it can soak it overnight and attack the sore areas and further heal it.  I find by doing this I am looser every day. I have been trying to find fresh comfrey, but I can't find in anywhere in the nurseries around here. I am afraid maybe the state is afraid of internal use and problems with lawsuits (due to possible liver damage from ingesting it) and so no one wants to carry it. I will keep trying. I got a bag of dry leaves, but I don't think they will be the same as the fresh stuff. I am away for the weekend where there is a pool and I am going to try to get in it (if I can do it without crutches and without killing myself) and see what I can do and how it feels. I know it is rushing things a bit, but I just have to try, even if I just stand in there on one leg. I also found someone who offered to bring me a real, fresh aloe vera leaf tomorrow (they have a plant) and I am going to slice it open and try the fresh aloe vera on my leg as well, just because I'm curious about it. We have waited a long time Ron to be able to start going at it, and now we are here! Every step forward feels so rewarding, even if it is small, don't you agree? The waiting period was the worst! When does your screw come out? Will it take time to recouperate from that? Hopefully it won't slow things down to much for you.

Take care, Patti

PS- I slept differently last night, a bit more sideways, and the sleeping boot didn't hurt at all...guess I'll keep that around for a while. I like it because it is lighter.

• Posted

Patti, like the idea of the backpack while on crutches.  When I'm at 50% I may go to the local supermarket on the crutches--we'll see.  And that backback is the way to go.  Actually, 3 weeks from today I'm at 100% weight-bearing so I see the light....  

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, with the natural healing, positive attitude, and working the foot.  I think we're both very motivated to finally get this thing completely behind us and back to our previous lives.

I get the screw out on May 13th, Friday the 13th!!  Glad I'm not superstitious!  And I will already be at 100% weight-bearing at that point so I'm looking at that date as my launch into true normalcy again.  (Quite surprised to read that that doctor for one of our chat buddies is not removing his.)  Although I'm sure I will still have some minor pain and swelling.  I found, like you, that there isn't really too much pain or swelling putting the foot down now, but of course I'm not yet walking around all day.  Once we are, I guess we can anticipate some swelling and possibly some discomfort.

Pool sounds great.  My local gym does not have a pool, alas.

• Posted

Also getting a little tired of chess with my Mac.  And always losing, of course!!  Can you even ever beat a computer at chess??  Have my doubts.
    • Posted

So long until mid-May...sorry about that, but it doesn't sound like it is slowing you down or will take time to recuperate from it's removal. It must be some sort of surgery though, so I hope it won't take long to bounce back from that. Big goal to go to the market. Hopefully you can fit everything into your back pack and don't need to get really heavy things! Be careful not to slip by placing your crutch in a tiny puddle of water. I slid a bit and had to put my injured leg down at FWB to save myself, but luckily I didn't get hurt and it worked! I was busy crutching and talking to someone which is not a good idea, when it happened. Even a tiny puddle can be slippery I found out!

I think you are right, the major swelling must come when we go 100%WB. Good to know you will be 100% in three weeks...so it does sound like they up us really quickly then. That is what I was guessing by to fast increase from last week for myself, and being told to go from 25-50%. 

Pools are really hard to find, that is why I am going to try while I have an opportunity. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Posted

Apparently the surgery to remove the long screw is a very quick procedure, as they just have to make an incision right above the screw head and it's out in seconds.  But I will be given a 'twilight' sedation (always nice!) and just a local.  Stiched up and ready to go, but no heavy exercise pressure on the foot until that screw hole fills with bone material--about 4 weeks apparently.  Re full sports, the doc said I could play tennis by late August.  So that means the foot and bones are completely safe to do whatever.  I believe I am probably going to just have that one screw that I can feel removed at 6-9 months (another easy procedure) and leave the rest of the 'gear' in, unless I think it's going to bother me.  I believe you have elected to have yours removed and totally understand that.
    • Posted

The pool was HEAVENLY! At 8 weeks post surgery, I went in slowly, a little afraid I might be pushing too fast, and worried I might slip or hurt myself. After 10 mins, I was lifting my injured leg and swinging it back and forth sideways and pumping my knees up and down (with the foot kept flexed because I could tell if I let it flop back and forth it would hurt it). Later, I swam 20 links, doing the breast stroke across the pool, and was able to slowly walk back and forth across the pool on both feet (it felt like 25-50% WB pressure), but I could totally flatten my injured foot and walk on it, since I was in the pool. Felt so strange and wonderful! I found my heel was a bit tender from lack of use and felt it was probably really good for it. I felt so happy and free! I can't tell you all how wonderful it was. Try to find a pool if there is anyway you can! It felt tremendously healing! I may be finding myself in total pain this evening because I was in there for two hours, kicking and bicycling around with a flexed foot, but I'll let you know. Wish I had a pool at home, and would do it every day! Just wanted you all to know, it's a great thing to try if you have the opportunity!
    • Posted

I have only one word to describe your pool experience-----JEALOUS!!!!!
    • Posted

smile. Try to figure out a way to do it even once.... Never thought I could enjoy swimming so much!!!
    • Posted

Morning all.  At the danger of sounding like a whiner, finding that 25% weight-bearing is pretty lame.  Can basically just walk around the apartment with crutches.  Can't do anything that requires use of my hands, like carrying something from the kitchen, or simple bathroom tasks.  I may or may not attempt to stand in the shower for the first time since this all began over 8 weeks ago.  But have to remember to keep the injured foot very, very lightly on the bottom of the tub (I have a rubber mat in the tub) and put almost all of the weight on the healthy leg.  Next Saturday, at 50%, will begin going down my spiral staircase to my bedroom to finally sleep in my bed again.  I can use the railing to take some of the weight off but I think now at 25% it would put too much weight on it.  I think at 75% I should be able to walk with a cane.  My actual PT begins tomorrow with a home visit (the first visit was just an evaluation) so looking forward to that.  Sorry for venting this morning; just one of those 'sour' days when I'm just tired of it all.  And the weather outside is a perfect spring day which adds to my discontent!!! 
    • Posted

Sour days happen Ron, I think your doing great, your early days compared to some of us here. The good thing about this forum is you can vent here and people get it. Hoping your rehab goes well and you'll be walking soon.....take care 👣
    • Posted

I hope your day brightened up. I remember the first time i stood in the shower after about 6 weeks and I was really scared as my shower is over the bath which was a bit of a risky manoevre. It went OK but I'm still very very careful getting in and out. As for having a moan that is what is so great about this forum that you can have a moan , get it out of your system and hopefully get some reassurance and empathy from those who know what you're going through. I hope your physio goes well tomorrow. I am sure you will feel better once you are able to take steps yourself to help recovery.
    • Posted

It's coming quickly now...I know it is hard to be patient.  I know 25% is very awkward, but be careful not to slip in the tub. Do you have a plastic chair you can put in there while you shower?  Have your cell and knee walker nearby in case you slip. Try to lean against the back or a corner of the shower for balance just in case. Interested what your PT has you do as the first exercises. I still can't believe you can be playing tennis in August. That seems unbelievable from where we are now! Sounds like you are having Spring fever! Maybe a good day to go outside, soak in some rays, practice your 25%? The sunshine and fresh air will help take away your blues.
    • Posted

Thanks, Patti.  Well, I could do my usual sitting in the tub and turning the shower on (god, that first blast of water is always a shock!) but thought I would give standing a try.  I'll see how I feel about it.  Like the idea of having the cell nearby, though.  Good idea for all here.  Would go outside but I live right off Columbus Avenue on the Upper West Side (76th St).  It's a very popular area in New York.  Do you know NY?  So too many people today to venture outside, I think.
    • Posted

Ron, I only wish I was where you are at that stage. I am at 15 weeks and just starting a little weight bearing. I get your frustration, because you can't do anything. Haven't slept in my bes in 15 weeks and I miss it. I went to my sons baseball practice Fri night and they had a game of players vs parents. It killed me to sit there and watch everyone else having fun, I am not one to sit on the sidelines. I have given away concert tickets for a concert i have wanted to see for years and any sense of normalcy in my life. So, yes, I understand your frustration.
    • Posted

Oh geez, you're right, I shouldn't really complain.  15 weeks???  I thought 8 was enough to drive me crazy.  And don't we miss our beds, though??!  A sobering, humbling experience and will never take a little thing like getting easily about for granted again!  You hang in there.  Ron
    • Posted

Oh no Ron, complain away. 8 weeks still feels like a lifetime. This injury sucks every bit of your normalcy out of your life. I am thrilled that you are making such good progress and actually a little jealous lol. I keep thinking, if I could just sleep in my bed it would things so much better. Good luck with your PT this week, I start PT Wed. We will have to compare notes. Enjoy this beautiful day.
    • Posted

Patti, LeeLee, this photo will show you what I will hope to 'conquer' beginning at 50% weight bearing.  Getting down to my bedroom to sleep in my own bed!  (Couldn't seem to make the photo any bigger.)  Ron

• Posted

well, pretty used to them.  But now is a different story!  I've scooted down them on my butt a few times since my surgery, but difficult to scoot back up. I think at 50% I can put enough weight on the foot while holding the bannister to do it ok.  
    • Posted

That is how I get in my house. I am OK going out on crutches, but not coming back in. How many steps do you have?
    • Posted

The spiral stairways downstairs?  It's about 12 I guess.  When I go outside, I have to go out of my brownstone to the sidewalk and there are two steps up.  I just lift my knee roller up to the sidewalk, then hop up the two steps on one foot, holding the bannister, then roll away.  No point on me going out on crutches as I only go out to do some shopping and no way to bring the stuff home without the basket on my knee roller.  In 3 more weeks I should be crutch free, as well.
    • Posted

Please be careful, I would hate to see you injure yourself more.
    • Posted

Hi Ron 

I'm coming up 5 mos. like Lee lee Have CRPS or known as RSD. My foot is at 25% dorsiflexion, weight bearing in walker and can stand unaided to wash dishes, cook etc. like you I had a sour day yesterday feeling like this is going on forever. I wonder if I'll ever be walking again. I look like Frankenstein in my walker for small stints My hardware hasn't bothered me much but lately it is with being up more. I just keep focusing on one day at a time - keep on, your doing it! 👣

• Posted

HI Ron- 

Oh the tub..I have yet to take a shower...kind of love soaking and rubbing my foot in the tub, now that I finally got out of the cast. I soak it, and massage it in the warm water and then when I get out, I ice it for about 20 mins.  It feels really good....kind of like the contrast therapy idea that Lee Lee does...but mine is non-scientific. I always get the hot water going and then drain it before I jump in. I sometimes put a towel under me in case it's wet, so I don't slip, then I put it on the edge of the tub to fill it. I also have a bath mat as well in there. Couldn't stand the cold jolt myself....I've been in warm California for too long, where we think it's totally freezing when it gets in the 50's smile

I know someone who lived 74th and Columbus years and years ago, and I drove by the area about five years ago to see it. Really nice! I go to NYC usually about twice a year. Love love it! I can't imagine crutching on a busy NY street though. I would be nervous someone would knock me over accidentally. I was wondering if you were in the city itself or the country. I have been to Cornell several times to visit, which is more country. I lived in Connecticut for a few years when my dad worked as an airline pilot for Pan Am and flew out of JFK. I loved the winters because It was in my 9th and 10th grade years of HS when I was there...ice skating, sledding, skiing...it was great! But NorCal has always been home, so we were back as soon as he got promoted. 

So did you take a shower? Gotta try that myself, but I have a little plastic chair I bought on Amazon for the shower, as I think I would be scared to try it standing yet.  

I left our pool weekend. Miss the pool so much!! Have to try a find a place to swim at home. 

• Posted

Patti, taking a shower for the first time in the morning before my PT arrives at 10.  So I will let you know how it goes.  Would love to meet you when you next come to NY so we can compare our new-founded 'wellness'!  But not quite sure how to relay to you my contact info without posting it on a public forum, which I would obviously prefer not to do.  I'll see if I can come up with an idea....
    • Posted

What a bummer to miss the parent/player game...ugh! You don't sound like a sideline kind of person and you have been SOOOO patient too. It must have been very difficult! The mind says "YES" and the body says "REALLY?" and you respond "oh yeah" very sadly and quietly.  Such a bummer Lee Lee to have to give away concert tixs too. Someone asked me to go to a concert in July (which is really so long from now) and I said "Sounds Great!", yet afterward all I could think about was having someone accidentally step on my foot, if there was a large line and crowd to get in. Wonder if it will be possible by then? Well if Ron is going to be playing tennis in August, I must be able to walk into a crowded concert, right? Spring time is going to be hard for us...because we are going to feel Spring fever really badly I think!

How are the fracture blisters doing? I've been thinking about you, because I hadn't noticed a post for a while...but sometimes I miss a few. I was hoping you were getting better re. those.

• Posted

100% agree. I will run to hold every door open for anyone moving slowly toward a door. Never realized how much of a difference it could make!!
    • Posted

That's a great goal Ron! I'm sure you'll do it soon! Thanks for the photo too. That's how I imagined it from your description. I tried to download a pic one time from my PC and it said it was too big, so I didn't know it could be done. Aww! Sleeping in a bed!!! That will be a big step toward normalcy! Don't forget anything, because that will be a hike back if you do smile

• Posted

That's what I would do too Ron re the scooter. I'm going to miss it when I have to give it up...been such a good friend!
    • Posted

Bedtime for me.  I'll see if I can contact the moderator and give them my contact info and ask them to pass it on to you.  Night!
    • Posted

Fracture blisters are doing a little better, starting to heal.

Watching is hard, I don't like it at all. I am sure you don't either. My husband is planting my flower beds for me and I don't like that either. I want to do things so badly.

I will probably wait awhile before I attempt a crowd. Just the thought of someone bumping my ankle or stepping on my foot, scare the crap out of me. I am a big chicken now, I guess. Just the thought of that pain again makes me cringe. My hat is off to Ron for planning to play tennis in August, but at least he has a goal. Maybe that is what I need. Right now I am counting small victories. Today I cooked breakfast, set the table, and loaded the dishwasher. Yesterday I hobbled around the ballpark. I was scares of all the little kids but I did it. Oh, that reminds of what happened the other night. I am sitting in my lawn chair at the end of the bleachers and had my crutches leaning on the bleachers. There was a little girl (around 3) running back and forth, when all of a sudden she picked my crutches up and threw them at me and said, these are in my way (while the crutches hit me in the head). She then proceeded to tell me I needed move my chair, it was in her way to. Needless to say, her mom snatched her up and off to the bathroom they went.

• Posted

I am just totally shocked Lee about your experience with the little girl. I guess she is only 3, but I still have trouble comprehending it. I'm sure everyone in the stands was floored too, and hopefully her mother was too and will do something about it. How is your head? I hope you didn't get hurt!

I'm so glad your fracture blisters are doing better (did the aloe vera help?) and think of you often, as well as others on this site, who have to deal with extra pain and problems, in addition to the broken bones. I love that you get up every day, fight hard to get better, and go out and face every day, with such a positive attitude. That attitude is an inspiration to the rest of us, and I'm sure it is really good for you as well.  It is easier to lay in bed, but is not the answer!

I agree with you re. watching vs. doing. It is extremely frustrating and makes you feel old before your time. I always try to be the first one in the car, so I don't hold others up, and they don't have to watch me get on my butt going down stairs that don't have railings, wait for me etc. This helps me to feel better. You don't want anyone pitying you-that's for sure.. You just want to do it yourself as much as you can, get help when you need it, and get on with it.

So last night, I asked myself, if I don't have a lot of pain in my ankle right now, why am I am not pushing myself harder. I put my crutches aside and walked my halls for 45 mins on the walker. I hate the walker, because it makes me feel old and frail to use it, compared to the crutches and scooter, but I did it. I went from 50% to 75%WB on some of the steps forward, and it wasn't that difficult. It felt strange, but I realized I could do more than I was thinking I could. I think it is really important to push ourselves, and reading your entry, made me decide to push harder. I am glad I did. I find my heel is tender (maybe from lack of use for so long or maybe from being in the cast for a long time), but I am getting it used to weight/pressure again. I think we are so used to babying ourselves, that sometimes we need to get rid of that mindset...at least I needed to do that. We have been through so much and had to take it so carefully for months afteral. I swear that Christopher's cream is helping too on my joints and bones, and in the week and a half since I have been able to use it, I think my nails are getting harder too. Lastly, I think the walker is the only way for me to get the pressure I need right to the ankle re. this WB stuff. I am babying the leg too much with crutches, and using my scooter to much because I want to move quickly. If you can borrow, buy or rent a walker, if you don't have one, I think you will be glad you did. 

• Posted

Interesting what you say about 'pushing' yourself a little harder.  My PT guy just left and he said I must absolutely just start walking, pure and simple!  So I have to go out 5 times a day, walking on my crutches at 25%.  The bone actually gets stronger with walking.  I've apparently been taking it too easy!   So yes, walking, walking, walking!!!
    • Posted

Pattie, I hate the walker too. Like you, it makes me feel old. The only time I use it is when I go to the bathroom. My husband tried to get me to take it to the ballpark, no way!

I feel better psychologically when I get out. When I am closed up in the house, I get depressed. I am not a pitty person either, it makes me feel weak.

Your so funny, but a lit like me. I am always trying to get faster. Faster to the car, faster outside, faster getting up. I would say faster coming back in, but I come in on my butt. Since I fell, I refuse to come in on crutches.

I had a nice bump on my head, but I have decided if there is a way to get hurt I will find it....even sitting in a chair lol.

• Posted

So, did it go well? Was it painful? I know you are probably like Pattie and myself, but what about a walker? The thought of you on crutches on crowded sidewalks seems dangerous.
    • Posted

So interesting Ron! Since my doctor doesn't have me on PT yet (probably next appt in a week and a half), I've been not quite sure how much is safe to do or how long. I forgot to ask last appt. I was just so happy to get the cast off. I totally understand when people are in pain, there's only so much you can do, but we have no excuses. Let's do this and see what's possible.
    • Posted

Good question Lee Lee!

What did the PT have you do for the first appt?

I hate the walker- but it's going to be my best friend for a while!

• Posted

You make me laugh Lee Lee! Love your style. Join Ron and I...let's hit this harder now and beat it! After seeing my calf muscle loss in just 8 weeks, I believe more than ever that if we don't use it, we're definitely going to lose it!
    • Posted

Patti, just emailed my doctor's assistant and he emailed me right back (he's very good about that).  I told him that the PT was just here, we went walking outside and he (the PT) wants me walking more and more.  The doctor's assistant said, absolutely no more than a total of 2 hours per day, no matter what the PT says!  So good to know and I'm passing along the info.  Walking is good to work the bones and muscles but overdoing is a definite no-no.  Slowly building up the muscle is the way to go.  And this doctor does all the big athletes so he has tons of experience in this.  
    • Posted

Thanks Pattie, I would gladly join you and Ron. My son says I have a peg leg now. I can actually put my thumb and middle finger around my lower leg. There is nothing left. I use to have beautiful legs, to the point strangers would ask me what exercises I did to get them to look like that. Now my right leg looks like a stick.

I start PT on Wed and can't wait. I have heard it is very painful, but no pain no gain. I believe in my heart that we will beat this.

• Posted

By the way, to all of you fellow extremely bored healing patients, you might find amusing the 24/7 webcam that was set up in D.C. to follow the eagle pair and their eaglets.  It has been on the news a lot and well worth checking out.  They're getting quite big!  Go to dceaglecam dot org 
    • Posted

Ron Great post, yes, I'm going to push more, it's difficult with foot not flexing, leg weak, but the walker is going to be my new best friend. It's just so easy to get chores done in a chair, but it's time to move on......thanking for the motivation to get walking again......enjoy the day 🌞 

leelee I have a stick leg too.......it will get back so I guess we're just peg legs!! Haha

• Posted

Jannie, I am so glad you popped up. I had a horrible night last night. The burning was more intense than it has ever been. I hadn't done anything different, but wow. My boot hurt it, my sock hurt it, the pillow even hurt it. The only thing that worked was taking the Lyrics, which knocked me out. Still hurts today, but not nearly as bad as last night. Have you ever experienced this?
    • Posted

To all, my PT guy this morning told me that a very good exercise to keep the injured leg muscles (and unused hip) in shape is to lie on the floor on your side and do leg lifts.  Turn on other side to get equal workout.  Great for the leg muscles and one of the few you can do with an injured foot/ankle.
    • Posted

Oh yes, that was first stage after boot on, try and soak your foot and do very gentle touching. You have to desensitize it, it takes time but I got there slowly rubbing feathers on it, oil, arnica, ale gel, etc. I found if I cradled my foot gently at night I could find a cozy spot for it to rest on. Now im having to work on use my foot more in my walker.  My leg is hyperextended and trying to straighten it out. It's all a process. You'll get there Leelee.....now im coming up 5 mos and trying to add more and more but the surgeon told me with CRPS it's month by month, not day by day, I belive her..  Keep going your doing it!!!!!👣👣I'm here if you need me xo 
    • Posted

Thanks Patti.....peg leg at its finest 👣👣 take good care!! 
    • Posted

I will try that. Unfortunately, I have to sleep in my boot. Thank you so much.
    • Posted

Leelee I did too for a long time but I bought sheepskin insoles to soften it and it was very comfortable, I bought them for diabetic feet at a drug store.  I also had very thick soft socks that I could stand cause the foot is so hyper sensitive. I hope this helps 👣
    • Posted

Thanks Jannie, you always help. My husband is on his way to the drugstore to see if he can find them.
    • Posted

Let me know, you could go on line  too.....they were made in BC Canada.  Hope you find them......xo
    • Posted

Thanks Ron. I will start those. Good to know what the first exercises are since I don't have another doctor's appt until next week, when he told me he'll give me his PT recommendations.
    • Posted

Hi Jannie- I found a huge difference between the walker and crutches, when I used the walker all day yesterday. It really helped me. I was able to increase my WB by 25% by using it. I got an "Evenup" for my sports shoe, that I put on my good foot, to bring my foot level up the the boot level, to help keep proper body alignment. It worked great! Good luck with everything! I'm so glad you and Lee Lee found each other!
    • Posted

Hi Lee Lee - You will have a beautiful leg again to match the other...so glad you can start PT soon! Muscle memory is an amazing thing. I found this online " An essential law of training: Once you’ve reached a certain level of fitness, it’s easier to return to that level than it was to get there in the first place. This muscle memory is hardwired into our muscle cells, according to a series of recent studies....In 2010, researchers at the University of Oslo suggested muscle memory could result from the peculiar properties of muscle cell nuclei, the location where most of the cell’s genetic instructions are stored. While most cells in the body have just one nucleus each, muscle cells are so big that they have multiple nuclei. When you start training, your muscle cells get bigger and develop more nuclei. When you stop training your muscle cells get smaller again, but the Norwegian researchers observed that the extra nuclei persist long after training stops. Then, when you start training again, the nuclei are still there, ready to support re-expansion of the muscles."  So hang in there....your legs remember you as much as you remember them smile
    • Posted

Wow! Patti, that is amazing. I would have never thought that. Woohoo,! I won't have a pirate peg leg forever.
    • Posted

I am having a really hard time getting on here today for some reason. It is taking me several tries. Anyone else having issues?
    • Posted

Happens to me a lot, computer glitchs.......did you find the sheepskin???  Hope your having a good day......🌞
    • Posted

Hi Karran- On Amazon. Look up "ProCare Evenup Shoe Balancer". I can't send links of the email will be denied. I really like mine.
    • Posted

I cannot thank u enough. Got a new hip in December & don't want to mess it up once I start walking with my boot.😀
    • Posted

It is amazing how far off the boot and a sports shoe are...great someone invented this easy to use device!
    • Posted

Good to know Ron that two hours a day is what they are recommending for walking for us at this point. Thanks for asking! Two hours really is a lot of walking when you go as so slowly as we do! It's hard to be on your feet longer than that anyway, with the air cast tight on the leg. I have been doing about that much a day. I did the leg raises today and donkey kicks etc. during my workout today as well. It all went well, and didn't seem to be a problem. Glad to be starting to hit leg muscles again finally! My legs feel tired at night. How about yours? Ice helps after all the activity. How is your WB going btw?
    • Posted

Patti, I find the crutches themselves tiring, not the actual walking.  25% is pretty tough, actually, to accomplish correctly.  Looking forward to 50% beginning Saturday, which I think will be considerably easier.  Then I'm going to use a cane only with the 75% week, before finally reaching Emancipation Day on May 7th!!  Yes, my legs do feel tired at night.  But I've noticed my calf muscle is already shaping up again, if just a wee bit, which is nice.
    • Posted

Do you think at 75% we can use a cane? I don't feel quite ready and I think I am doing 75% WB with the walker, but I may be wrong. I am going to try it next week though, because maybe I can and I just didn't realize it. Glad you brought that up! It's hard to know how much weight exactly you are putting on the injured leg. i noticed I need to get back to wearing my gel bike gloves because last night the base of both of my palms was hurting a lot and they were both all red, so I know I am definitely putting weight on the bars of the walker throughout the day to cause that. I noticed after using crutches, when I first got them, for just two days, I had this situation also, and was so relieved to move to the scooter and get rid of that pain for months (I heard from a post I read that you can do some permanent nerve damage if you press too hard for too long.). Anyone else experience this pain in their lower palms?
    • Posted

It's really hard to both estimate and maintain this arbitrary 25%, 50%, 75% weight bearing.  I'm sure there are times when I'm over the 25%, for example, although I try to err on the side of lighter.  I think you can just estimate as best you can.  But I do think that 75% should be easily done with a cane.  You're basically just putting 25% of the full weight you would normally put on that leg as it moves forward onto the cane.  So in effect just giving your injured leg/foot a little bit of support.  At least that's how I would interpret it.  But I'll ask my PT guy when he comes this Friday.
    • Posted

Btw...I have used a trainer for years for weight lifting/toning, with my mom and grown daughter. We love doing it together.  Our trainer had an accident when he a teenager and fell asleep at the wheel while driving and has a Herrington Rod in his back. He was told he would never walk again and went on years later to be perfectly fine and to win a bunch of weight lifting competitions. Anyway, I am mentioning him only because I have worked with him for 20 years and think he knows his stuff and works with handicapped people, people in competitions...all types, ages, and ranges of ability. He said it will take a year to get the calf back to looking like the other, but they will probably never be 100% the same. He showed me his and said they were 10% off. I could not tell at all.  He said only a trainer can tell and no one else has the eye. The other thing he said is it is easy to get people back to normal and this is really nothing to worry about at all. We just have to stick with it and realize it takes a bit of time. The more muscle loss, the more time...but to not worry at all...just to be patient and diligent. He's been bugging me to keep asking my doctor weekly about getting back to my leg workouts...I have been hitting double arm workouts for my time slot with him (ugh!), since a week after my injury, and would love to get back to legs myself. I really think and HOPE next week's appt will clear me to begin legs again. The gentle leg lifts yesterday didn't hurt at all, but winding me a little bit.. i definitely have lost some aerobic capacity for sure. How about you?
    • Posted

Thanks Ron! Your advice has been great. Can't wait to get the okay for a PT person myself! I don't see any reason I can't start. I will know more by next week when I have my appt. 
    • Posted

Interesting that he said our calves would never be "100%" again, Patti.  I would have thought that would not be the case at all.  But time will tell.  
    • Posted

My husband got the sheep skin, wonderful. Has my first PT appt today, it was rough. He has me using different things to try and desensitize my foot. Also, gave me exercises for home. I go twice a week. How are you doing?
    • Posted

Glad you got them, they helped a lot.  I'm doing as well as can be, up in my walker more although it's tough because my leg is so weak and hyperextended wth a very stiff foot but I'm doing it as much as I can stand. I send wool balls, face cloths, hand wipes between my toes etc to desensitize. It takes time but you'll get there. Are you able to soak your foot in warm water??  This was very helpful too...if PT gets too rough and it hurts for days you need to back off this happened to me in the beginning but now I'm ready for more manipulation and can stand it. See my surgeon next month - take good care. Keep me posted....
    • Posted

He's very picky re. muscles and the way they look. I could not see on his calves what he was talking about. I think trainers that train people for competitions, notice every little thing...it is their job afterall. I am not at that level at all and I do it for tone, athletic looking muscles, not to look like a competitor.  I am not sure why you can't get everything back, but maybe it is because you use the same weights on each side (to keep proper alignment of the body) and it is hard to make up for the muscle loss 100%. Heck, i don't care, as long as 99% of the people can not see it, and the injured leg looks good again. It is amazing how fast you can lose muscle and how long, working at it regularly, it takes to get it back! Guess we need to keep it up, best we can, and eat more lean meats to speed muscle growth up.
    • Posted

Yeah, I feel the same.  Interesting, I just came in from doing one of my 'walks' outside.  I notice that there is some discomfort on the inside ankle bone (the knob) after walking a bit.  I think that is where the long screw is.  It's probably not going to feel very comfortable until I have that out on the 13th.  I think that is when my real healing and rehabilitation will begin.
    • Posted

I agree with you re. the screw. It is probably inhibiting that inside ankle bone. That screw is big! I remember from seeing your xray. Sorry you felt it...that is a drag...but great you can weight bear and do PT still with it in there! Isn't it nice to get outside and walk around? I bet your spirits are lifted by that! I can't feel any screws at all so far, even when I massage my ankle deep (which I do 2-3x a day). Btw, I stood barefoot in front of the sink this afternoon without any crutches, walker or anything for 10 minutes brushing my teeth and thinking life was great. Oh the small pleasures! This is around the corner for you...thought you would want to know smile  I am able to do 75%WB all the time now. I learned today how to use the crutches better with WB now...much easier taking the crutches when going out vs. the walker. Makes me feel 20 yrs. younger too. The walker isn't good for one's cred. I tried to walk with one crutch today, kind of like a cane, to check that out, since you were talking about it, and spurring me on, but there was no way I could do it. It felt like 100% weight bearing on the injured leg to do that, because the crutch (cane) needs to go on the good leg side. Maybe it is just me. I will continue to try that every few days though, because I think that will be the next stage, once FWB can happen. I also starting trying to write the alphabet with my toes today. I saw online that is an exercise they do in PT. It was possible. I also pulled my toes straight up and then pointed them (kind of starting PT on my own even though I haven't gotten the hall pass yet....can't help myself). I'm surprised the foot seems to be loosening up and is letting me mess with it as much as I do. I still need to ice my foot and ankle after working it for any length of time (an hour or more at one time). It feels so good to ice it! Hope this info helps! A step at a time!
    • Posted

Woohoo! Way to go.

I started PT today. It was rough, but I made it.

• Posted

Way to go!! Keep it up, your going in the right direction.....👣
    • Posted

You and Lee Lee are so tough! You are inspirational to us! 
    • Posted

Yay! Moving forward begins now! What exercises did they have you do? I know you are in pain probably tonight Lee Lee, and I feel so bad if you are, but tomorrow you will be that much closer to recovery...and you will recover...a step a day! Great job!
    • Posted

I am in my bed. Yay! First time in 16 weeks. It feels amazing.
    • Posted

Yippee!!! So happy for you Lee Lee....you have worked hard and been so patient to get here!! Really proud of you!
    • Posted

Thanks Patti. I am just praying I don't have to pee in the night lol.
    • Posted

Patti, I slept for 9 1/2 hours. That is the most I have slept in 16 weeks. I believe it was worth all the trouble of getting in my bed.
    • Posted

Yay!!! Sounds like a GREAT night! Oh, the little things that really are such big things.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.