Knee Walker caution

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello, a word of caution to everyone out there using a knee walker,

First of all they are great,however please be careful, if i only manage to help one person with this post then its done its job. I broke my ankel back in October and have had to use my knee walker for five months due to the probable developmeny of RSD/CRPS, that was and is a lot to still take in, its a horrible disease. I was getting fed up and decided to quit feeling sorry for myself, had just started driving again and back to work for a week. I decided to take my life back as much as i could and stupidly went to the grocery store thinking i could push the cart and use my scooter at the same time, i was just about done and feeling proud of myself. Not quite sure how it happened but my knee walker tipped over sideways and i went crashing to the ground, i was so mad at myself and thought oh no not again as i lay there unable to move, I was hoping i just had a dislocated shoulder but no, not me I  smashed my shoulder pretty bad. So, please be careful everyone those knee walkers can be tippy especially as you start to feel better and are not so cautious. I wish good healing to everyone, no RSD and no more accidents. Melanie.

0 likes, 124 replies

124 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Totally agree on the word of caution, especially if you are an amputee because you really have no leg, even a bad one, to break your fall if you lose balance and you will come down like a tonne of bricks, even if you fancy yourself as rather co-ordinated, it's pretty much just a matter of time before you have some sort of fall. I love the speed and freedom of getting around the house on my knee scooter, but after getting too 'comfrotable/cocky' with mine and having 3 serious falls i am a lot more cautious.

Things to be careful of:

1. Reversing too quickly in a wide arc (you can tip over and go flying)

2. Missing the seat with your knee, it will tip over and you will go down with the scooter on top of you

3. Hitting something left on the ground (toy, yoga mat, whatever) at decent speed because you didnt see it...over the handle bars.

4. Cracks in pavement can send the wheels going sideways and get the steering misaligned, i basically dont use mine outside anymore unless its a really well maintained and known path, like down at the beach. prosthetic/crutches have proven to be better for me for most outdoor activities

Good luck everyone! smile

• Posted

Ref the knee walker. 1st, sorry for you trouble and injury with the walker.

In Aug, 2017, it was determined that I had to have reconstructive surgery on both feet. So, right foot first. After having the knee walker (PURCHASED THRU JAY HATFIELD) in use for approval 3-4 days after major surgery, I went to get up to go to rest room and I got on the walker and started to go when I went to turn it, the thing flipped be over handlebars, I smashed the little basket on the front, like a pancake. I had to lay there until I could yell loud enough for my rmmt/caregiver to come help me up. I had several cuts to arms and my leg and the foot that just had surgery on was in pain??

To make a long story short and after being flipped 2 more time, one inside my res. and one outside on gravel, I discovered the knee walker was missing a piece that is close to the front wheels and prevents the steering to only go so far each way. Well, after contacting MANF that Jay Hatfield ordered it thru, they sent me another.

BUT, even with the correct one, you have to be real careful when on side walk or anywhere really. The wheels are so small and plastic any crack or pebble,stick or anything will stop you fast and cause your steering to turn, if not just flip you over the handlebars or just off into the ground. I was flipped in front of a Dillon's store, Walmart and even a DAV store due to the walker is made cheap and in my books is very very dangerous. I have taken pictures of my cuts and injuries from the first surgery go around. Also discovered when they took x-ray of foot they discovered the one of the two steel (titanium) rods they put in my first surgery was snapped in two PC's. Dr feels maybe a malfu in hardware, that a human could not of broke one. By the way, it was in the bone and the broken rod is still there. Dr feels it would cause more devistating damage and poss infect and loss of foot if he tried to correct the damage. So, what do I do??

Then, Feb, 2018 I had to proceed with reconstructive surgery on left foot (which was worse) and again with no weight bearing, I have had to return using the knee walker. NOW, this go around, I'm trying to take it slow and easy as I'm kind of scared of these things. Well, again, the walker has flipped me 3X so far. Once inside home, once in parking lot while trying to get into car and again the steering stuck on a rug at my local Spangles and it stopped me in my tracks, flipped me over the handle bars and again I landed on my left foot that I just had surgery on last week. Ouch!

So, my suggestion on the MEDICALLY NEEDED KNEE WALKER IS TO OUTLAW THEM OR BAN THEM UP AND UNTIL THEY CAN RE-DESIGN THIS AND MAKE IT MUCH SAFER TO USE.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.