Kneecap pain after TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a TKR on May 12th and have been doing fairly well. I still can't get my leg completely straight and my bend isn't where it needs to be but I am working on it. My doctor was not concerned with my progress at my 6 week checkup and physical therapy says I'm doing great. Although I feel confident that I am progressing well, I have recently developed a pain around my kneecap. It often hurts when I have my leg elevated and then bend it. Just sitting it sometimes feels uncomfortable and definitely noticeable. None of this is really enough to slow me down but enough that I'm concerned. I am pretty active, excercise, and rest often. I do take naproxen from time to time as necessary. PT told me today that perhaps I was over doing, that I should rest more, and ice several times a day but they really did not have a clue as to what was going on. I have a hard time believing this is the reason but then I don't know. I have a doctor appointment the middle of next month. Has anyone else experienced this or have a suggestion?

3 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

My 2nd TKR was May 5th. If your PT is saying that your progress is great, then it probably is. How often are you doing the PT? And do you do it at home as well? Yes, RICE as often as possible. My first TKR was approx 19 months ago and even up till just recently had kneecap pain.  I've been pushing my body pretty hard with exercise since my most recent TKR - about 12 weeks ago.  My surgeon said that it's possible the implant was too big for me the first time.

Did that ever put me into fight mode.  LOL, absolutely it did! I decided that there's no way I would or could have a revision TKR and just decided to push the old knee and the new knee as hard as I could, without going into the feeling of extreme pain.  So - for me - this is working well.

You need to find the level where you're getting the benefit from doing it, but not to the point you will be in extreme pain the next day.

Obviously I can't really advise on yours, I wouldn't hazard a guess, BUT I have found what is working well for me.

If you're still concerned - see the doc, see the PT and go through it with them again.

All the best

• Posted

Thanks, Cheryl. I completed 12 sessions of PT and have been approved for 4 more sessions ( but probably could be approved for more if I needed). I exercise at home and swim about 4 days a week besides walking regularly. While not happy that you had knee pain it was encouraging to know that things improved for you. I had a TKR 8 years ago on my other knee and it was so much easier! I haven't really had much swelling lately (just stiffness) so I haven't been icing but willl give that a try. Appreciate your input.

• Posted

You do a lot! Not surprised about the pain...all different these knees! I am nearly five months, mine March8th. I swim and do pool exercises three times a week, do half hour on static bike per day, walk about 20 minutes each day. Do 20 mins exercises each day. As i walk and stand for a few hours each day also, painting and housework, i often find my knee is painful. But i used to be so limited before, i don't mind. I think it would be disappointing if i got the pain and could not do things, but it sounds like you are doing loads!

• Posted

Great to hear your input Jenny. Sounds like you are one busy lady! I have pretty much resumed my life and everyday I am grateful. For the last 2 years I've been on the sidelines so I am enjoying life and not dwelling on the pain. As my husband and I were walking the beach today I commented that although I have some pain it is nothing compared to what I used to have and I am able to live a pretty awesome life even now!

• Posted

Yes the expression being on the side lines of life is perfect. I have felt a little disappointed at times when my knee is painful, but I do push it mostly because I get such a Buzz from being able to do so much more.For me too, the pain is nothing like it was, I wonder if the relatively minimal amount of pain just reminds us of our pre op state and makes us feel bad, if we did not have such horrendous pre op experience, we probably would not tend to dwell on the experience of being in pain as much. Well that is my chosen theory anyway! 😃

• Posted

I still have discomfort and pain after 16 months. They cut off our legs. Pretty much. Let's lower expectations, keep on doing what we can and believe total recovery is going to occur. I was in severe pain before my two knee replacements. Hobbling around like a 99 year old. Rest, exercise, rest,ice, eat clean, be lean, think positive. It works. I walked 8 Kms yesterday. No pain then woke up in pain. We heal slowly but surely. Seek medical advice when necessary and try to be patient. xx

• Posted

Thanks, Lyn. Attitude makes a difference....and maybe a little patience too! 👍

• Posted

Yes, no more hobbling! I was in severe pain...always needed to take a stick out with me, aged 52!

I still have some pain, but I actually have an active life to go with it and don't need to carry a b......y stick around everywhere with me! 😂😃

• Posted

Hi there. I am 8 months post TKR of my right knee. I have pain (sometimes) on the inner part of my knee/kneecap....I saw my surgeon for follow-up this past Tuesday. I told him about it. He checked my X-rays done that morning, and saw nothing. Said it looks beautiful!! He did explain what they "do" during the surgery, and it's possible that what I'm feeling is most likely in the "capsule" surrounding the knee. He explained that they move blood vessels, nerves, etc, and that it takes time for everything to heal. Made sense to me. I also asked about clicking that I have. He showed me the model he has, and explained that the new knee is made of metal and plastic (which we probably all know)....and when the knee is bent, the plastic clicks against the metal. So very normal. And, that over time, scar tissue will form around the kneecap, and will then act as a cushion....and the clicking will go away. So.....back to the pain around the kneecap area......I don't know if the above helped you any.....for me, the pain is only there "sometimes". I put an ice pack on, and sometimes take Tylenol & Aspirin together. Works for me. All I know is that this time last year....I wore a brace, and was in a LOT of pain!! Now.....life is good!!! Wishing you continued success with your recovery!!

• Posted

Makes sense to me too. Thanks Gerianne. I agree, life is soooo much better now compared to last year as I am already able to do much more.
    • Posted

That is very interesting!

I am almost five months post op. I have some pain, but just when i do too much. The real it is i can act us do so much now, compared to what i used to be able to do, that a bit of pain may well be worth the effort...i am mobile in a way i was not. It could be disappointing if i expected to be pain free, but mobility was what i wanted more than anything else.

• Posted

It is the doing things which makes one feel free, even if not completely pain free!
    • Posted

Everything you said!!! I can do so much more now than I could this time last year. The pain I have now is bearable compared to before. I couldn't do anything without being in tears. I even cried in my sleep according to my partner. He felt so useless as he couldn't help me. All of that is behind me now. I sleep like a baby! Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.