Kneeling

Posted , 8 users are following.

My personal trainer wanted to know if I could kneel to do exercise.  I really don't know and won't see my doctor until September.  I retained my original patella.  Can I kneel on it?  I'm 5 months out.  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

DUckfan, I was told I could when it was comfortable, but to be very cautious not to roll on it.  I am 17 months post TKR and I still do not kneel.  It hurts.  Call and ask your surgeon.

good Luck,

Pam

• Posted

Hi Duckfan,

?Opinions seem to be divided on this question (as on several other TKR questions).

?I cannot kneel comfortably I know as my non op knee would hurt and I want to preserve it as long as possible. I could not kneel in comfort pre op and some years ago I believe I damaged both knees by laying lots of flooring and gardening, so I would not risk it again.

?It is said it would not damage the actual prosthetic but possibly could the soft tissues.

?I don't know what the trainer has in mind, but at 5 months you are still healing in some ways so that has to be borne in mind I'd think. Maybe Chico Marx will have some knowledge to share as he posts a lot about exercise and recovery on here?

?Otherwise could you call your surgeon's office for advice, or the physio you saw post op, as they know your individual case?

Good luck with it all anyway and let us know how you go.

• Posted

It takes a while to get back to kneeling...5 months is really early although some people can manage it.  I'm at 16+ months and I can kneel without any inner knee pain but the outside is still tingly from the nerves regenerating.  When I kneel inside, it's always on an old pillow or piece of 3" foam.  Outside, I wear industrial-strength plastic knee pads...the tactical kind the SWAT guys use.  No problem.

• Posted

Chico I'm curious about the inner knee pain you're talking about.  I have intermittent pain on the inner knee and have had it since my last visit with Dr. I'm almost 2 years out (Sept).  Last year when I had my last appointment with Dr. I told him about it and he thought it might be bursitis.  Offered a cortisone shot but I said no....enough shots, etc.  I have built up my quad muscle which he said would help.  I notice it hurts when I move my lower leg side to side or sliding it off the bed.  Is this what your pain is?  Any thoughts on this?

Mary Ann

• Posted

I have zero inner knee pain...it's all metal and plastic.  I only have that tingling nerve sensation when I kneel on it.  Don't know if that will ever go away.  I'm still rebuilding my quads, glutes and core...recovery got interrupted by spinal stenosis 8 months in...that took an LLIF (lateral) fusion of L2/L3 so now I have to complete the full knee recovery with the strengthening program.  It's been a looooong road...

Doc's right...all those muscles support the knee.  Without that strengthening, the new knee does all the work and takes all the pressure.  Gotta do the work to get back to "normal"...whatever that is...AND STAY THERE!!!  The gym work doesn't end...it has to become part of your new lifestyle or you regress in ROM and strength and start limping again.  Stay strong...never give up.

PS: If it's bursitis, try some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US...check for interactions before use)...second best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet.  Great for bursitis.  Skip the cortisone...

• Posted

Thanks for the info.  I feel like I'm back to my prior leg strength before surgery which is great.  I still have nerve numbness on outside of knee also which doesn't really bother me.  And I do have a tube of that Voltaren so I'll start using it again, see if that helps.  The inner pain is not that bad, more of a nuisance but have wondered why it just won't go away.

• Posted

I kneel on mine when doing yoga and have been since around three months. I always wear knee pads and I only do it in short spurts. Getting on hands and knees is rather useful for exercising! Child pose in yoga is brilliant for increasing flexion gently. Never got to the point of bottom on my heels but could not do that pre op anyway! I think for short periods with knee pads fine.
  • Posted

Not sure sorry. My patella was replaced and I can only kneel if I am on my hands and knees. Not if I take my hands away and just have weight on the knees.

I certainly can't kneel back on my haunches. Hope this makes sense.

Sarah

• Posted

I was told by my phisio that I could expect to get 125 rom .that is it .i will never be able to sit on my heels the replacement will not allow it .and you can't force it. It depends on the type of replacement you have .can vary from different countries. I'm NHS England.you must check with surgeon. Saying this is don't know what my replace is .i needs to investigate further myself .has anyone sat completely on there heels while kneeling pain free. Let me know cheers

• Posted

Thanks for the answers guys.  I'm thinking there are plenty of exercises without kneeling so I'm going to exercise caution and not do it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.