knees replacement surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone I have my knee replacement surgery done July 20th I am doing well walking good just a little limp I am driving my problem is my knee get so stiff it's very uncomfortable especially at night I don't know how to position it in the bed to feel better is anyone else experiencing this problem

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joan, Yes, I think all of us have had that problem.  To  help you with driving - find the length of time you can drive without the knee stiffening up.  At that point, stop your car, pull over and stretch out your knee.  You'll get to understand where your limit is, but it luckily keeps changing throughout your recovery.  Just try and get in tune with your body.  Bedtime - what often helps is to save some pain meds till half an hour or so before bedtime.  You may find that sleeping on your side on the non-operated side will help.  You're so very early in your recovery, good for you that you are driving.  The stiffness can stay for a number of months so try ice to see if that helps.  Elevate as much as possible.  Ice may help you sometimes, but possibly all times. Warmth may help you and heat (not too much) may help you.  

See a PT as soon as you can. if you're not already.

• Posted

Everything written here is excellent advice. Yes, trying to get into a comfortable position to sleep in is still a bit of a problem for me at 4 weeks post-op. It does get better! Gradually, very gradually...but it does and it will. As jenny80029 wrote, have you tried placing a pillow between your knees when you sleep on your side. It helps me to do this. Position yourself on your non-surgical side, tuck a pillow between your knees and see how it feels.

I still wake up at night, still have some stiffness. A full night's uninterrupted sleep eludes me but I make every attempt to be calm about it: know that this will get better slowly and it is not forever. Of course, if you have to be atlert and on your game the following day this can be frustrating. Have you thought of asking your MD for valium or maybe a muscle relaxer that will make you drowsy? 

Or try an OTC antihistamine. It will make you sleepy enough to doze off.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, thanks for your comments.  I'd just like to mention that, as much as sleeping between your legs may help, it is definitely a NO NO.  It usually messes up people's bend and other problems, so please don't.

• Posted

Lol, let me try that again.  Instead of reading "as sleeping between"  should have said "as much as sleeping with a pillow between your legs may help.  It is a definite NO NO. 

• Posted

Mine used to wake me up and I found moving it around helped, then I could nod off to sleep again. Also having a knee pillow between knees when lying on side was good. I did need to change sleeping position a lot.
  • Posted

Hi Joan, oh yes, sleeping positions are terrible! I asked my Dr for valium to help me sleep which it did. And driving, you're really early to drive! I don't even get to drive until six weeks! Mine is on the right leg so I assumed you had yours done on your left? It took me two months to feel comfortable sleeping and part of the time I am able to change positions. Ice and take pain pill half hour you go to bed. It helps. Continue therapy too! Give yourself time.

• Posted

Stiffness or a "tight band feeling" can last for 12 to 18 months.  If you're really lucky, it will go away sooner...but I wouldn't count on it.  At almost 17 months, I still feel it a bit from time to time but nothing really worrisome.  It's one of those things in TKR-dom that you will notice early on and through the 6-month range but then it gradually disappears over the next six.  One day, you might feel it again and think "Gee...I haven't felt that in months!"  When it loosens up, you tend to just not realize that the stiffness is not only gone but has been gone for a while.  Just takes time...

• Posted

Hi Joan, im sure evrybody is going to say the same or they have done, pillows pillows and more pillows.........and i found massage the knee helps sooooooooo much its unbelievable, it will get easier just takes time, as they say its a marathon not a short jog to get your knee right , hope that helps Joan x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.